Thoughts on this GLA45

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjones

Car
a45
Hi,

I am interested in the following GLA45, is the spec ok or is it missing things you would deem essential? Also would this year model be susceptible to the gear box issues that plagued the A45 Facelift?

Many thanks

JJ

I saw that one online when I was recently looking for a gla45/cla45. It's been online for a while. It's missing the pano roof and upgraded factory exhaust.
Check the service history. When I was looking, a lot of them said full merc history (even updated on the merc digital side of things as if everything was in order) but when I asked to see it, they hadn't had the rear axle oil changed or the gearbox oil. Check the brakes as every previous mot test that I checked had shown 'brakes wearing thin', sometimes on 2 consecutive mots.
There is another one around somewhere that I test drove LS15 OFC (a black one with lots of factory extras) with only around 22k miles on but it has missing history when I checked into it. The dealer I test drove it at said that he was 'moving it on' when I didn't buy it. He said that they had 'caught up' on the missing history. He had done the rear axle oil, gearbox oil, brakes, new tyres and it still didn't sell.
Good luck in your search

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that, very useful. The service schedule is something I need to look into as you say am I right in saying that it is easy to set the car to say things have been done but you need paperwork to back that up.

Hi, the ones I looked at were advertised as full mercedes history. It was only when I checked that the additional things that should be done like the rear axle oil and gearbox oil hadn't been done. I found out on this forum that mercedes can update the digital history to say it's had a service even if the additional items that should be done at certain times haven't been done. It can make you think that it has full complete mb history when it hasn't. One merc dealer said to me when I checked this 'oh you've done your homework haven't you'. It's only recently that I found this out on this forum.

Hi, the ones I looked at were advertised as full mercedes history. It was only when I checked that the additional things that should be done like the rear axle oil and gearbox oil hadn't been done. I found out on this forum that mercedes can update the digital history to say it's had a service even if the additional items that should be done at certain times haven't been done. It can make you think that it has full complete mb history when it hasn't. One merc dealer said to me when I checked this 'oh you've done your homework haven't you'. It's only recently that I found this out on this forum.
Hi, sorry to jump in on this thread, I’m looking to buy my first AMG but not sure what/how to look into the service details. I assume I can ask the dealer/seller to email the details of the service record but where do you get the specific service intervals and items that need to be done to check against? I ‘ve downloaded the merc guide app and downloaded the manual/guide for the model that I’m looking at but can’t seem to find the info on services. Thanks

Did you view it?
Hi SarahAnn,

No I didn't go and see that one, an alternative came up (2014) with less miles and in black. It was inside a packed warehouse of cars though so no chance for a road test. However; it was started and moved forward a bit. When it was put into first gear there was a loud clunk (very similar to a motorbike being put into first gear), is this normal? It certainly scared me off.

Thanks

JJ

Hi SarahAnn,

No I didn't go and see that one, an alternative came up (2014) with less miles and in black. It was inside a packed warehouse of cars though so no chance for a road test. However; it was started and moved forward a bit. When it was put into first gear there was a loud clunk (very similar to a motorbike being put into first gear), is this normal? It certainly scared me off.

Thanks

JJ
Hi,
I'm definitely no expert in these. I did watch a few videos on forums (main one was the cla forum) about gearbox quirks etc when I was looking and the clunk gets spoken about. Some say it is because the car is cold but some say it is a problem. I don't know enough about it to help I'm afraid but a lot of forum members know a lot more than I do about things. Hopefully someone will be along to help you soon
There was a black one at a car supermarket around your area when I was looking (64) reg, no pano roof. Wonder if it was that one?

I would avoid the really old GLAs to be fair. 2016 onwards are better The gla clunk does happen but it isn't an issue. Poor turning circle and really poor rear visibility and being quite cramped might be an issue . Also on cold tyres it hops skips and jumps like a triple jumper...It makes a lovely exhaust note if it has the performance exhaust and tons of pops and bangs at least from 2016 onwards wirh the 380hp.

I've done the gla 45 and it is a nice compact rally car but it lacks a bit of proper AMG muscle like this:

but if you want a great car in the price range, e63 w212 fits the brief and is a v8.

But obviously larger car but I'd recommend this model over the gla if size isn't a problem. Oh , its road tax is a bit higher though ...

For something smaller, there are some great c63 w204s in the same price ball park which are more impressive cars than the gla

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom