Thoughts on this one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
As per title, really. Looks pretty tidy, mileage isn't stupid, MOT history seems OK etc. Just seems a little bit rich IMO, but I don't really know what they go for.

Auto Trader logo

Spec-wise it seems OK (not bothered about the bobby basic audio 20) but doesn't have heated seats? Were they an option?

Cheers,

Gaz

I think there is a lot of distraction going in this ad. Are they trying to sell you the car or the service book?
No frontal views of the cars means they are trying to hide that horrible (IMO) aftermarket front grille. What else are they trying to hide?
Could well be a nice car, but at almost15 years old, I agree it does seem a bit rich.

Air suspension/engine timing chain

Timing chain? On an M113? First time I've heard that.

I would have thought heated seats were standard on an S-class, but obviously not.

That's a rather odd spec; Elegance (poverty for an S Cl;ass...) specification, panoramic roof, but no heated seats? It's not going to be easy to sell a big, old, thirsty petrol V8 either. The power train is likely to be trouble-free at that mileage, but the air suspension less so.

It really is a helluva lot of car for the money, but it's not likely many people will want it. If you're interested, check the value with somebody like Parker's and go from there.

Last edited:
Once a car is 14 years old I think you can only judge value by seeing it and driving it. I’d happily pay £4-5k for that car IF it was clearly pampered and treasured. You can tell as soon as you see it on the flesh. I agree that the grille is not the nicest but it could simply be an enthusiast who genuinely wanted to make it look ‘better’ in his or her eyes. Can easily be reversed back to standard. The car basically looks sound but until you can check for damage or poor repair, it’s hard to judge the value. Worth a look imho.

Reactions: 219

I would have thought heated seats were standard on an S-class, but obviously not.

That's a rather odd spec; Elegance (poverty for an S Cl;ass...) specification, panoramic roof, but no heated seats? It's not going to be easy to sell a big, old, thirsty petrol V8 either. The power train is likely to be trouble-free at that mileage, but the air suspension less so.

It really is a helluva lot of car for the money, but it's not likely many people will want it. If you're interested, check the value with somebody like Parker's and go from there.

OOPS you are right the M273 wasn't introduced till a year later. The older 3 valve M113 was pretty bullet proof as you say but it might be an idea to check when the 16 spark plugs were changed last?

It certainly would be. I don't think those on the ML500 I've just bought have been changed for seven years... Only seventeen thousand miles since then, though, so if I encounter any difficulty removing them I may just leave well alone.

I keep looking for an E500 estate in avantgarde trim. Think that’d be a lovely, useful thing to waft about in! I had an ‘04 E class, and heated seats were definitely optional. That wasn’t an E500 mind you, but a 270 CDi

I hate the front grille but I like the car.

Looks well-kept although you will obviously have to look closely to be sure.

I even like the trim colour actually.

S Class?

I keep looking for an E500 estate in avantgarde trim. Think that’d be a lovely, useful thing to waft about in! I had an ‘04 E class, and heated seats were definitely optional. That wasn’t an E500 mind you, but a 270 CDi

There you go, even a choice of colours ;)

MERCEDES E500 ESTATE AVANTGARDE AUTO AMAZING CONDITION 2004 (54) | eBay

2004 04 MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS 5.0 V8 E500 AVANTGARDE 5D AUTO 302 BHP ESTATE | eBay

2003 Mercedes-Benz E500 5.0V8 Auto Avantgarde EST 7G-Tronic | eBay

I do like the first one....
Nice car, lovely colour, but is the bonnet open in these pictures, it seems like there are some exaggerated panel gaps. :dk:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

i would def say so Richy, as well as the tailgate! Standard practice when advertising a car for sale is it not? :D

Yep love the burgundy one for sure! Although his missed a trick with not putting the over mats in the boot to show everyone lol I just don’t understand that practice :confused:

I keep looking for an E500 estate in avantgarde trim. Think that’d be a lovely, useful thing to waft about in!

I had one, and it was. I should never have sold it...

I'm off to Specsavers in the morning...

I really like that burgundy one; lovely, classy colour combination. More suitable grille too.

A bit leggy, though, for that money. Big, thirsty non-AMG V8s are becoming increasingly difficult to sell.

Ebay brought this car up in connection: 2005 BMW 7 Series 5.0 750i 4dr | eBay

If I was looking for a low-mileage, big fast saloon I could be tempted.

Last edited:
Ebay brought this car up in connection: 2005 BMW 7 Series 5.0 750i 4dr | eBay

If I was looking for a low-mileage, big fast saloon I could be tempted.
I’ve always fancied this type of thing, but would be a bit scared of a BMW V12, I wonder what they’re like for reliability? BMW surely don’t make many whereas Merc make their bigger luxury cars in greater volume (mind you, Merc V12s aren’t known for being easy to run either with their coil pack issues).

It's V8, I think. ISTR BMW had issues with engine block porosity on their V8s from around that time, though, so perhaps that's why it's what seems pretty cheap. I could be wrong, though; I can only find references to the issue on their straight sixes.

Then again, it's a big, thirsty V8 and not an M-car, so perhaps that's why.

Last edited:
It's V8, I think. ISTR BMW had issues with engine block porosity on their V8s from around that time, though, so perhaps that's why it's what seems pretty cheap. I could be wrong, though; I can only find references to the issue on their straight sixes.

Then again, it's a big, thirsty V8 and not an M-car, so perhaps that's why.

Ah, yes it would be a V8 by 2005 I guess - the V12 became the 760i at some point after starting out as the 750i in the ‘90s.

I very nearly bought a 550i back before getting my E500 as they seemed great value. But ultimately didn’t quite feel as special and were a bit small inside compared to the E. Also the smoother-riding SE variant was hard to find.

Ah, yes it would be a V8 by 2005 I guess - the V12 became the 760i at some point after starting out as the 750i in the ‘90s.

I very nearly bought a 550i back before getting my E500 as they seemed great value. But ultimately didn’t quite feel as special and were a bit small inside compared to the E. Also the smoother-riding SE variant was hard to find.

I've nearly bought a 550i previously but after doing some research, pre-2014 ones are notorious for the engine dying - and that's the 4.8 V8 from the Alpina B10 V8S which I understood to be bulletproof (unless BMW messed something up with later vintage versions of the engine).

So you can't always escape with a V8!

My only knowledge on the V12 engines were the 5.x litre ones were fitted in cars such as the 90s 750i were a liability for eletrical gremlins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom