Thoughts on this one......?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark JT

Car
E350 cdi Coupe C207
So, after careful consideration I have decided to look for a rear ended C350 Cdi low on the miles as I am going to drop the engine and box and all the ancillaries (wiring loom, ecu etc) in to to my C250 coupe as Mercedes for some unknown reason decided not to produce a C350 Cdi coupe?? I know it will fit as they made the C350 petrol, plus the front of the car is the same as the saloon and estate. In theory it should be fairly straight forward, but we will see....

Thoughts everyone??

I thought I might be missing out on this engine too until I looked at my average speed over the last 10K.

I know what you mean, but I've gone as far as I can with the car tuning wise. The next stage would be the hybrid turbo and bigger intercooler, injectors etc then a full custom map... By the time I've done that, it's the best part of £4-5k. Fitting the V6 easily brings me 300bhp and 550ftlb torque without any mods and still giving me decent mpg. Plus I think it will turn it in to the car it should be. I know everyone will say just buy a C63, but the running costs for that car are stupidly expensive, especially as it would need to be my daily driver. The road tax and mpg would bleed me dry!!! 😳😂

Sounds like an interesting plan. Would make for some good content on here , following your progress etc. If you have not had it done yet a very careful inspection of the rear sub frame on your W204 might be worth doing before committing to the cost of an engine swap.

Sounds like an interesting plan. Would make for some good content on here , following your progress etc. If you have not had it done yet a very careful inspection of the rear sub frame on your W204 might be worth doing before committing to the cost of an engine swap.
Yep, that was done as soon as I got the car. It's in really good condition, so no worries there :thumb:

So what's the full list of mods so far Mark on your C204 C250 CDI ?
BMC air filter, EGR & DPF delete, full 3 inch stainless none resonated exhaust to C63 tips, rolling road custom map, gearbox torque limit settings removed (to 550ftlb) Quaife ATB rear dif, then for fun throttle pedal tuning box. that's about it drive train wise.

Wow , I'd put the air filter back to stock , your turbos compressor wheel will thank you for it .

What throttle controller do you have ?

The BMC filter is the recommended one by GAD, it seems to be better than the OEM one without giving more induction roar, unlike the other aftermarket one's that promise the earth and deliver nothing..... 😆 It's the Pedalbox one, they are German made and have a fantastic aftersales support team, plus you can update the software on the unit as and when it is released via the app on your phone. Its pretty much a set and forget item really, you find a setting you're happy with and leave it alone after that. its a great little bit of kit, it really reduces that annoying throttle lag all Merc's seem to suffer from.

I've the SB , with such a pronounced throttle lag deserves only one setting to achieve a 1:1 relationship , Race 9 , baby...

No need to mess about with sensitivity settings or an Eco mode as the perfection of drive by cable doesn't need it .

SB is better than any other out there as it has 3 valet modes which limit throttle plate opening to achieve 25/50 & 75% power reductions and a pedal lock so all you get is engine idle speed a good extra layer of security .

Plus you can detach the controller and it's slim wire with the unit remembering the last setting for a completely stealth install .

Now for the BCM and alike , they let through so much more crap , not hard to see why .

Screenshot_20210327-060539_Chrome.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Everyone has their own opinions on aftermarket equipment, such as throttle controllers, body kits, exhausts and air filters etc.... and there is nothing wrong with that. It wouldn't do for everyone to have the same opinion, the world would be a very boring place if that were the case.
That's why I asked everyone for their thoughts on the engine transplant that I am considering, to see what people thought. 👍

the reason they didnt produce a C350 coupe is probably the weight its a big old lump to be hanging out the front of a shortish car, not sure if the rear axle you have would take the grunt either I have a remapped E350 with a Decat, DPF and EGR delete and its just about the limit of the standard drivetrain and may exceed it once my new intercooler is fitted, for ref with the TC disabled and decent tyres at 30mph kickdown produces wheelspin and am on 19s with 275 tyres.
A C350 might be a better buy tbh as I can imagine the wires will be a real nightmare plus there is the extra 100mm wheelbase if the prop needs to be changed.
A decent remap should make the pedal box irrelevant as well, personally never seen the point but as someone else said each to there own.
"performance" air filters on a diesel are like chocolate fireguards, there is no intake Vacuum on a Diesel so the air filter wont make an intake noise anyway, the limitation is the CC of the Cylinder and the amount of crud the EGR has dumped into the intake manifold, performance filters are 100% certain to shorten your Engines life span as well as they dont filter well enough for road use, competition cars which is the origin of such filters get regular rebuilds and the need for longevity is not as important as that last HP, have a look here Air filter test its an oldish test now but very well done.

Last edited:
Wasn't the E coupe basically built on the C class floorpan anyhow? Or am I making that up?
I believe you are indeed correct. It was based on the 204 platform (the coupe & cabriolet)

Just to close this one off, I have now bought an E350 Coupe. It's a 2012 model, it's basically the same as the one higher up in the tread. It has electronic dampers, factory 19" alloys, harmon kardon, memory seats, pan roof, etc, just about everything except keyless go really. Going to remove the crappy chrome side trim, then wrap the door and window surrounds satin black along with the boot trim, add the black front grill, rear carbon boot spoiler and door mirror covers, 19" E63 alloys and lower it by 20mm at the rear and 30mm at the front. A remap will also be on the cards at some point, after the transmission service.

E350.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom