Thoughts on this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
The mileage is nothing for that engine & gearbox.
Common issues are things like rocker cover gaskets… along with the usual ‘CLK’ specific issues like clicking heater flaps, rusty rear wheel arches etc.. fairly easy to spot!

Is the car missing the front undertray? You can see straight through the front spoiler grille.

Is the car missing the front undertray? You can see straight through the front spoiler grille.

It is yes, it is missing the front part of the engine underlay. Looks lovely, I would have been interested if I did not have one already.

If anyone is interested, in addition to the usual checks, have a look at the brakes and discs, if they are floating discs (like my ones) and are worn they are not cheap to replace. Check the keyless go, quite common for the start/stop button not to work and the kg handles to fail. Use to negotiate the price down a bit.

If anyone is interested, in addition to the usual checks, have a look at the brakes and discs, if they are floating discs (like my ones) and are worn they are not cheap to replace. Check the keyless go, quite common for the start/stop button not to work and the kg handles to fail. Use to negotiate the price down a bit.
Will this car have keyless go?

If serviced correctly then the mileage is hardly going to be noticeable mechanically.

It has a large undrstressed engine and a reliable gearbox.

Rust in the wheel arches, suspension mounts, brake lines, subfrane etc are more likely to be a problem.

Motorway driven 104k miles. What a load of bullsh1t. Do dealers really think customers believe they know how/where the car has been driven for the best part of 2 decades? Nice car, but that alone puts me off the dealer.

I'd take an expert with you to look at the one in Iver. The dealer had sixteen - yes, sixteen - five-star reviews in February this year, and in the first ten days of August twenty-three - yes, TWENTY-THREE - the same on Autotrader. I detect an overwhelming odour of domestic rodent...

Last edited:
The car looks lovely.

The only point about the missing undertray... if it went missing during a service (tech forgot to refit it), or it fell off while driving (tech didn't tighten the bolts correctly), or it got smashed on a kerb while parking, then these things can happen.

But my worry would be that the car was involved in a collision and repaired on the cheap. I would check the front with a magnifying glass for any evidence of shoddy accident repair.

Beware photos where the saturation and contrast has been overloaded. It’s done to hide faded paint and scratches. My guess is that this CLK will be tatty in the flesh. Pictures can and do lie!

Beware also overly-liberal use of silicone polish - 'Flash Dash' - on the interior. That's had plenty on the dashboard...

As has already been said, pictures of cars taken in HDR always have my Spidey-Sense tingling.
The car in Gloucester that Skd884 certainly has a better initial 'gut feel' about it; the owner even has an MB baseball cap......:D

Beware also overly-liberal use of silicone polish - 'Flash Dash' - on the interior. That's had plenty on the dashboard...

'Orrible isn't it :rolleyes::(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom