Thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doo01

Car
CLS63s
So.. I just took ownership of a 14 plate CLS 350. Brilliant car. But I have since discovered a poorly repaired key scratch on the right rear quarter panel so much so that when you run your hand through it, you can feel it. Yes I missed it when I inspected the car. I bought it from as an approved used Mercedes from the main dealer. Now that it was discovered after the fact, do I have a leg to stand on to get it rectified?

Any thoughts?

29a2060d72d97f003abb7eef710dee6c.jpg

When I was getting my car I looked at a BMW. It had a scratch and I asked if it would be repaired. They told me some scratches do get repaired but ultimately it is a used car so it won't be brand new quality.

Depends how long ago is 'just bought it' and how much the dealer wants to play ball. The repair may have been done by them, in which case should carry 3 years warranty (at least)

Depends how long ago is 'just bought it' and how much the dealer wants to play ball. The repair may have been done by them, in which case should carry 3 years warranty (at least)

I picked it up 3 days ago. They repaired a similar scratch on the other side perfectly. I suspect it wasn't done by them. Can they say 'you walked out and paid already?'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i hadn`t noticed a few scratches on my CLS before purchase i very much doubt if they would have been repaired , even though it had been through their numerous points "inspection" and had been prepared for sale.

Kenny

I would certainly contact them and explain you are not happy.

That is true after all.

I think the chances of a car being damaged within 3 days and you have a valid argument in that you did not notice at the time - it's hardly obvious after all.

See what they say first.

When I was getting my car I looked at a BMW. It had a scratch and I asked if it would be repaired. They told me some scratches do get repaired but ultimately it is a used car so it won't be brand new quality.

I don't' disagree. But given it was from a main dealer I would expect them at least let me know of it so I can decide if its something I am willing to live with or fix. Or else why pay more to go to a dealer?

I would certainly contact them and explain you are not happy.

That is true after all.

I think the chances of a car being damaged within 3 days and you have a valid argument in that you did not notice at the time - it's hardly obvious after all.

See what they say first.

Thank you. I have certainly done that but was wondering what some folks thought. Like I was saying, yes its used. No its not perfect. But at least tell me :)

If i hadn`t noticed a few scratches on my CLS before purchase i very much doubt if they would have been repaired , even though it had been through their numerous points "inspection" and had been prepared for sale.

Kenny

I agree. Everything I identified they did rectify. Refurb all wheels etc.

You also have the option of using the 30-days period to return the car and buy a different one instead.

A dealer will not draw your attention to anything like that in my experience.

It's down to the buyer to spot it and make it part of the deal if it concerns.

Now you have spotted and are not happy, you have grounds to progress.

I wouldn't expect a 3 year old car to be completely mint but that is hardly a small stone chip.

A dealer will not draw your attention to anything like that in my experience.

It's down to the buyer to spot it and make it part of the deal if it concerns.

Now you have spotted and are not happy, you have grounds to progress.

I wouldn't expect a 3 year old car to be completely mint but that is hardly a small stone chip.

Thanks. Im just concerned that the transaction is completed, they might just say 'sorry too bad'. Like another poster mentioned, I could get a refund within 30 days if it really bothered me.... and it does right now!

I purchased my approved used from MB Teesside and noticed several cosmetic issues within days of picking it up, including 'dings' on one door, a paint mismatch on the bumper where it had been repainted (only visible under certain light conditions) and other things that would not be immediately obvious. They were all rectified without any fuss. Take it back to the dealer and ask for it to be rectified as it clearly isn't good enough to be passed as approved used, it should have been picked up during the preparation process.

When you buy an approved used car, you pay the extra and buy one because you expect it to be at a standard which the majority would be happy with.

You shouldn't have to turn up with a magnifying glass, paint thickness measuring device, mechanics and a team of engineers to examine the car.

Otherwise you might as well buy private or from an inde retailer.

If you are not happy with it, you an obviously change it but this is the car you wanted, it's up to them to sort it out even after you have handed your money over.

It's in everyone's interests to resolve the issues on this car for you.

When you buy an approved used car, you pay the extra and buy one because you expect it to be at a standard which the majority would be happy with.

You shouldn't have to turn up with a magnifying glass, paint thickness measuring device, mechanics and a team of engineers to examine the car.

Otherwise you might as well buy private or from an inde retailer.

If you are not happy with it, you an obviously change it but this is the car you wanted, it's up to them to sort it out even after you have handed your money over.

It's in everyone's interests to resolve the issues on this car for you.

I could not agree with you more. Lets hope they do too. Btw I managed to get them to throw in the 'starguard'. Upon inspection of the front right panel, it was rough as sand paper. Felt like overspray of some sort. He took it out back to get it 'polished'. The inside of the car still have 'drink spillage' on some of leather seats. I gave them flack about it. Nothing a wipe could not fix but you get the idea. Poor 'valet' at best!!! I seriously doubt any 'protection' was applied if they cant even wipe a spillage away but figured I didn't pay for the supposedly protection anyway.

I purchased my approved used from MB Teesside and noticed several cosmetic issues within days of picking it up, including 'dings' on one door, a paint mismatch on the bumper where it had been repainted (only visible under certain light conditions) and other things that would not be immediately obvious. They were all rectified without any fuss. Take it back to the dealer and ask for it to be rectified as it clearly isn't good enough to be passed as approved used, it should have been picked up during the preparation process.

That I shall.... !! I am taking it back for a few things I spotted post taking it home (peeling sun roof tint, rattling in rear speakers, poorly refurbed 2 wheels) so I hope they are going to rectify this too!

Hi all. I thought I would provide an update. They did repaint the rear quarter panel so I'm happy with that. Now there is this nagging vibration from the rear panel they cant sort!

Glad they sorted it for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom