Thousands of M6 drivers hit by 50mph speeding fines.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
15 people per day, on the M6 were caught speeding on average.

I'd hardly call that a cash cow!

If anything i'd say they were being very lenient. If i was to take a guess i'd imagine about 90% of drivers speed on motorways in the UK.

Within a couple of miles of each other, I saw four motorists stopped on the hard shoulder of the northbound M6 Toll last Sunday morning on the way to Jay's GTG. Two marked and two unmarked police cars. That (paid for) Sunday morning pipe-opener on a usually near-empty stretch of perfectly smooth tarmac that offers great visibility will have lost many a customer now.

Difficult to tell if the article is complaining about police fining speeding motorists, or about the police not actually collecting all the fines....?

They say about 8,000 motorists have been caught, but look at the sample size. From October 2013 to now is 22 months of data. If the Express & Star wait until 2025 the headline would be, 'Millions of M6 drivers hit by...'.

Besides, proof is in the pudding. If everyone was getting fined then I'd say there was an issue with signage, but since only 15 of the 120,000 vehicles travelling that stretch are getting fined, on average, the significance of this article is ridiculous. It works out that approximately 0.0125% of motorists using that stretch are likely to get caught speeding. Hardly worth the space in the newspaper isn't it?

Statistics are often used against us. It is like the advert from Money Advise Service that tell us that 1 in 5 people wished they'd never bought their own home, to frighten us, but translate that the other way around, and four out of five people are glad they bought their own home.

Never trust facts and figures because they can be made to look however they want them to look.

Never trust facts and figures because they can be made to look however they want them to look.

98% of internetters disagree. (or at least 40% of the time they do):thumb:

That's BMW drivers these days, for you.

Statistics are often used against us....

Never trust facts and figures because they can be made to look however they want them to look....

If a man has one foot in a bucket filled with freezing water and ice cubes and the other in boiling hot water, it could be said that he's reasonably comfortable!

Statistics can be manipulated to say whatever you desire.

Cheers,
Robert

If a man has one foot in a bucket filled with freezing water and ice cubes and the other in boiling hot water, it could be said that he's reasonably comfortable!

Statistics can be manipulated to say whatever you desire.

Cheers,
Robert

Not sure what the buckets have to do with his financial situation?

:D

I was only just laughing at the mouth-breathers going through the M1 average speed zone the other day. Driving well over the 50mph limit, then slamming their brakes on before each set of cameras :D

Providing the signage was there informing drivers of the limit , those who chose to disregard it have only themselves to blame , and get no sympathy from me .

There's nothing difficult about obeying speed limits , so why do so many choose to flout them then complain when they are caught ?

Not sure why everybody moans about 50mph cameras,they are always on road ups on motorways,I just put the cruise control on and get through them,I always wonder why people speed and then slow before the cameras they do not seem to understand that the distance is timed,one of the big money earners around here is the Dartford Crossing,either side of the bridge and tunnel it's A road and when they say 60mph they mean it and 50mph and 40mph before the barrier,as for the M6 toll road I never use it,to expensive.

It's rare that I use the M6 Toll and don't see a couple of people stopped. The bit that scares me (from a getting nicked POV) is approach to the toll plaza when it drops to 50 then 30. I back off but people are still flashing past.

The average cameras are easy in Merc - just set the speed limiter to 55. The variable ones need a close eye though - sometimes the speeds can be all over the place. Colleague got done on the M42 for 46 when they were set to 40 for no apparent reason early one morning.

It's rare that I use the M6 Toll and don't see a couple of people stopped. The bit that scares me (from a getting nicked POV) is approach to the toll plaza when it drops to 50 then 30. I back off but people are still flashing past.

The average cameras are easy in Merc - just set the speed limiter to 55. The variable ones need a close eye though - sometimes the speeds can be all over the place. Colleague got done on the M42 for 46 when they were set to 40 for no apparent reason early one morning.

I expect the reason was for different conditions earlier and a time lag in resetting the speed limit for better road/traffic conditions

I expect the reason was for different conditions earlier and a time lag in resetting the speed limit for better road/traffic conditions

I expect the reason is they want to round up some candidates for their speed awareness course - most of the people on the one my colleague attended had been caught the same way.

It's more common to set limiter to around 57 in a 50 zone to take into account car speedometers that are set to over-read speed.

You'd probably be OK up to an indicated 60 - especially as you're unlikely to be able to maintain that between cameras. But 55 is OK for me - it's still faster than most other people will drive anyway and allows a bit more of a margin.

You'd probably be OK up to an indicated 60 - especially as you're unlikely to be able to maintain that between cameras. But 55 is OK for me - it's still faster than most other people will drive anyway and allows a bit more of a margin.

I set mine to 55mph GPS and have travelled hundreds of miles through these 50mph average speed zones :rolleyes:

I received a NIP 2yrs ago for 56mph on the M1 average speed section around junction 28 and contested it stating the ACPO guidelines and I was successful.

One does have to be aware that these are only guidelines and not a law set in stone so it all boils down to how you present your letter of appeal.
Polite but more importantly that you were not driving in a dangerous manner for the conditions etc and apologise :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom