Thread Stripped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Hi All,

One of my rear threads in the hub has gone. Hence on 4 bolts. I know this isnt a problem for now,but anyone know how i can get this sorted without replacing the whole hub??

Can the thread be retapped, maybe id have to use a wider threaded bolt..More importantly, who could do this??

Cheers

Jay

Personally I would change the hub. They put 5 studs on the wheels for a reason and I certainly wouldnt risk driving around on 4. I doubt if anybody would tap out the faulty hole seeing as it is a safety critical part, nobody would want the responsibility and you would need a bigger bolt which would be hard to find with the correct shoulder and it would not fit through the wheel.

There is a kit out there for DIY'ers. It's a stud extractor, These you have to drill a hole in the stud and the extractor is then screwed in anti clockwise till it reach's bottom and then in theory if you keep turning the stuck bolt will then start to turn.So long as you can drill a hole in the wheel bolt that is?

No the bolt isnt stuck, its just that the thread is worn out so the bolt just spins...

I will change the hub eventually, but i think its a big job, so trying to leave it to next time i need pads/discs.... a lot of people have told me that 4 bolts is good enough and not dangerous...

Ooops my mistake! Have you thought about a helicoil insert.You need to drill slightly bigger hole then tap with a fine thread, then fit the insert and hopefully you should end up with a new thread the same size as your wheel bolt.

Yes someone else mentioned that, where can i get one??

This is only a temp measure untill i need to change discs etc, then i will underake a hub change, i even have a scrap car on the driveway that i could change the part with...

Cheers

Jay

An engineering company might do it.I know that we fit helicoil inserts but only up to 5mm thread so far.The only other people I can think of is those that do work on car engine reconditioning.Say if a spark plug was dodgy in the head they would fit a helicoil,cheaper than another head.I mention that cus of the similar size of thread that is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom