Threatening letter...

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Spinal, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Quickie...

I'm writing a letter to a company that I ordered a bit of kit from and never had it delivered.

Should I include in the letter that their final chance to rectify the situation by sending me my receiver (or a full refund) before I escalate the matter to a small claims court? Or should I just ask for a refund/unit without mentioning the court?

M.

2. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 740Li
    If it's your 1st letter I would say that threatening court action is a bit severe.

Have you phoned them first and given them the opportunity to resolve?

3. OP
    OP
    Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    I have phoned them (got told it would be delivered "tomorrow" - this was last week), send them at least 3 emails, started a Paypal dispute (haven't escalated it to a claim yet, the unit wasn't bought on ebay and I'm not sure it's worth escalating it).

This is the first "snail mail" letter I am sending - it's my final recourse really...

M.

4. DSLiverpool

DSLiverpool MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
    Just do a paypal claim - you will be reimbured without quarrel and it keeps your blood pressure from exploding.

2 people like this.
  5. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Paypal wont do owt unless you hassle them, keep asking them for updates until you get your money back.

1 person likes this.
  6. x332race

x332race MB Enthusiast

Paypal dispute has always worked for me when I have had a problem......Would also send them a letter by registered post asking for delivery or refund...it that does not work, then send letter regarding small claims court......however, I would use the paypal route if i were you.

1 person likes this.
  7. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    In the letter, use the phrase "time is of the essence" and give a (reasonable) date by which you expect to have the item or a refund.

No mention of court at this stage.

If you later escalate to a court claim, it is important to show that such a date was both reasonable (ie a few days, not a few hours) and ignored by the other party, in order to be certain to be able to reclaim your court costs.

1 person likes this.
  8. glojo

glojo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    So called 'snail mail' should always be used and it will do no harm to send the letter via registered mail.

Remember it is always easy to up the scale of the threats but if you make threats with the first letter then you are making an enemy.

I would be Mr nice Guy and explain why you are complaining, explain how your card has been debited?? Or your cheque cashed? and you have NOT received the item.

1 person likes this.