Three child seats in S212?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rose Chap

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus GS450h
Hypothetical question...

Is anyone on the forum using three child seats in the rear of their S212 E Class Estate (2010 ish onwards)?

I know only the outer two rear seats have Isofix which is ok, but I’m curious as to whether there is sufficient space in the middle for the usual bulky car seat.

As people may or may not know, rules changed recently to mandate that backless booster seats aren’t legal for children under 135cm tall, so the need to accommodate seats is a valid one.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnily enough a friend of mine was just talking about this the other day! He's looking for cars with three seats in the rear that can take full size child seats. He was only able to find two cars that had three seats the same size across the back...

Ford S Max and Peugeot/Citroen 508/Grand Picasso! Amazing eh! I think he'll choose the S Max if he can deal with the lousy Powershift gearbox!

Hypothetical question...

Is anyone on the forum using three child seats in the rear of their S212 E Class Estate (2010 ish onwards)?

I know only the outer two rear seats have Isofix which is ok, but I’m curious as to whether there is sufficient space in the middle for the usual bulky car seat.

As people may or may not know, rules changed recently to mandate that backless booster seats aren’t legal for children under 135cm tall, so the need to accommodate seats is a valid one.

Thanks in advance!

No there is not enough space, with two iso fix seats on each side there is not enough space for third person to be seated in the middle, with or without a booster.

No there is not enough space, with two iso fix seats on each side there is not enough space for third person to be seated in the middle, with or without a booster.

Sorry, I don't agree. I've had two Isofix seats and a booster seat (backless admittedly) in between them in mine. It was a bit of a squeeze though!

Sorry, I don't agree. I've had two Isofix seats and a booster seat (backless admittedly) in between them in mine. It was a bit of a squeeze though!
I have two Joie’s on each side and there is no space for a third bum in the middle.

You could do it but would have to give up using the isofix points on at least one of the seats. You'd need to use the type of car seat that uses the existing seat belts

As said, there is room. I’ve got three car seats in the back of my 212 and they fit fine, the same as they do in my 211.

It is a bit of a squeeze obviously (as it would be three across in any car) but it all fits safely and securely and the kids have plenty of room.

You may need to experiment with different seats/configurations to find what works for you/your kids but coming from the 911 I used one of the Porsche branded Britax seats in the centre, most regular seats will fit either side.

So it is possible, just needs some thinking/effort/experimenting :)

If you can afford it these are said to be good - and they even offer a 4-seat version!

Child Car Seats - 4 Child Car Seat, 3 Child Car Seat & Accessories

Thank you for the tip. They are expensive but presumably less expensive than having to buy an Audi Q7 and less soul destroying than owning a French diesel MPV. [emoji846]

Thank you for the tip. They are expensive but presumably less expensive than having to buy an Audi Q7 and less soul destroying than owning a French diesel MPV.

My son has the 3 car seat problem. I wish he had bought one of those multi seats instead of a Peugeot 508. I might have then been able to get the 3 grand kids in my car. I bet it's a 2 man job to fit one due to the weight although at over £1000 perhaps they have engineered it properly and kept the weight reasonable. Single seats at £300 each seem to me to be poorly designed in that they usually weigh more than the child and are a bit of a pain to move to another car. Making it safe but without any concern for size and weight is not my idea of a quality product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom