Three year old buys £9,000 car on eBay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Boy aged three buys £9,000 car on internet

Press Association
Tuesday September 26, 2006

A three-year-old boy used his mother's computer to buy a £9,000 car on the internet auction site eBay.
Jack Neal's parents discovered their son's successful bid when they received a congratulations message from the website about the pink Nissan Figaro.

Rachel Neal, 36, told the Sun: "We couldn't understand what was happening. Neither of us had bought anything. So we checked and saw it was a Barbie-pink car which we'd bought for £8,999. We flew into a panic."

The following morning Jack woke and told his parents: "I've bought a car."
Mrs Neal, of Sleaford, Lincolnshire, told the newspaper she thought she had left her eBay password in her computer. She said: "Jack's a whizz on the PC and just pressed all the right buttons."

Her husband, John, 37, called the seller of the car and explained the mistake. "Luckily he saw the funny side and said he would readvertise," Mrs Neal said.

The seller of the soft-top second-hand car, which has a 1.0-litre turbo-charged engine, said yesterday that he had been amused by the bid.

Paul Jones, co-director of Worcester Road Motors, Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, said: "I had a phone call explaining what had happened and as soon as I heard it was a young boy who had done it by mistake I cancelled the bid and readvertised the car, which is very collectable.

"He must have good taste in cars. We've all got children and they do silly things at times, so it was no problem."

It was the first time the car dealership had sold a car on the site, Mr Jones said.

The car, which had been imported from Japan and refurbished, is available on eBay at a starting price of £7,999

mmmmmm - not sure I believe all that. Sounds like a good way to get out of something you changed your mind on - but then I could just be a sceptic:devil:

Must try it sometome though -

"Oh sorry - I have a dog of unbelievable intelligence........"

It's an amusing story, if only because the car in question is a pink Nissan Figaro!

Some news sites have a pic of the car, the Nissan Figaro is quite cool but the fact that Vanessa Feltz owns one and is hugely enthusiastic/fanatical about it/them might put some people off ;)

BTW a friend of mine has a grey Figaro. Looks hilarious parked next to my SL!

I have just seen the little boy on the news. At least he was telling the truth.

When asked if he bought the car, he said, "No" The mother then tried to tell this 3 year old that he did!!! Yeh right!

We are supposed to believe this three year old with his sticky little fingers :p :D (he enjoyed sucking two or three fingers :D) used a laptop and somehow managed to 'tick' all the right boxes!!!!! Oh and during the demonstration the baby was sat on his mothers lap!! (nuff said)

Sorry, I simply do not believe it!!! :D :D :D

John Meldrew

Maybe Mummy thought she was bidding on a £9.99 Barbie Car.

Satch said:
The car, which had been imported from Japan and refurbished, is available on eBay at a starting price of £7,999
Sounds more like they were after some free advertising...:rolleyes: :devil:

I wonder whether my three-year old would mind accidentally buying a Porsche I have my eye on?? I can see it now:

"Calm down dear, I know it looks like I hit [Buy it now] but it must have been our darling daughter. We'll have to go through with it too - no way out of it I'm afraid - look for yourself it says in the advert that bids are legally binding. Awww how cute, she wants a car."

:devil:

if you bid over a certain amount (over a few grand) you need to enter your card details in to verify i think anyway....

sounds fishy.

I sell a lot on ebay and lots of people come up with excuses, i just file a non paying bidder strike as i dont believe most of it.

SilverSaloon said:
if you bid over a certain amount (over a few grand) you need to enter your card details in to verify i think anyway....

Not at all, if you are a registered member and have a card on file....

Mike

GSMGuy said:
Not at all, if you are a registered member and have a card on file....

Mike

But you do have to put in your password at least once;)

Agian Pammy not necessarily - If Internet Explorer or Firefox is set to remeber passwords, and cookies are enabled, it will log you in automatically - mine does with my Ebay account - But I am the only person in the house that has access to this PC - The kids and my partner have their own laptops.

Mike

GSMGuy said:
Agian Pammy not necessarily - If Internet Explorer or Firefox is set to remeber passwords, and cookies are enabled, it will log you in automatically - mine does with my Ebay account - But I am the only person in the house that has access to this PC - The kids and my partner have their own laptops.
Hi Mike,
We are talking about a specific incident. The only way this little boy could actually 'play' with the laptop was when he was sat on his mothers lap!!! Surely any other points being made are academic?

I do not believe this incident happened and I suspect it was a great lesson in the art of getting free publicity?

NEVER let the truth spoil a good story!

John

GSMGuy said:

Mike

I have this set on my ebay too - but it periodically signs me out and if I bid I have to put in a password. I am the only one that uses ebay in this house.

I dont believe the child bid on it either. The parents obviously found out you could buy the same car much cheaper than ebay ( you can buy most things cheaper if you look around!) at Algys Autos, here http://www.algysautos.com/nissan-figaro-stock.html

My Daughter wants one!

Allan

Satch said:
It was the first time the car dealership had sold a car on the site, Mr Jones said.

that says it all. first time, a free ad, and guess what. the car is still available!

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

not that i dont trust car sellers at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom