Thrust Arm Bushes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killie77

Car
E270cdi
Had a winter safety check at Mercedes Giffnock today.
All seemed fine apart from the Thrust Arm Bushes which they tell me have split on both arms. They have given me a quote of £96.24 to carry out the work.
Is this a reasonable price ?.
Would it be possible to DIY the job myself or better to have it done by the experts
Thanks
Ian

Is that parts + labour ? if so it seems a fair price.

There must be something wrong with the rubber bushes on the Glasgow Mercs (or the ones checked at Giffnock) as my CLS failed on one last year (covered by their warranty) and a split ball joint cover this year their quote this year was £345 for the arm replacement as the £0.50 rubber boot is not available on its own so the arm had to be replaced :rolleyes:

Funny thing is that it , from a cynical POV , the only people that were in the area of the joint was them when they replaced the arm next to it last year :rolleyes: and I haven't taken as much a wheel off in the last two years of ownership.

Kenny

You will go to Merc Giffnock. Probably THE WORST Merc dealer in the UK.

Thanks for the replies .
They helped me out with the Locking Wheel nut key, no charge to remove them.
So felt a little obliged to let them do the winter check. When i had it in the Indy at Ibrox last month they didn't mention the Thrust Arm Bushes, but did say the offside balljoint had some play but not enough to worry about.
If it ever stops raining will try and have a look at the suspension. I believe that was Parts & Labour, didn't wait around to find out my hearings not that great and I thought they said £400 was out of their like a flash, Only when I looked at the online file they send over did I note the price of £96
Ian

Cannot see how it would be £96 fitted. Impossible!!

Any idea what the price should be supplied and fitted for the bushes ?
If it's not to expensive may have it done. If not will wait till the new year.
Thanks
ian

Any idea what the price should be supplied and fitted for the bushes ?
If it's not to expensive may have it done. If not will wait till the new year.
Thanks
ian
Ian. Why don't you call the Indys number I gave you . Or call merparts in port Glasgow. Stephen does the same work as Olly and Wg mb has all the tech and equipment needed to work on serious heavy metal and doesn't charge £110 an hour labour on a ten year old 211. I would rather scrap my car than let Giffnock or city centre touch my cars. We take our newer cars to Edinburgh for warranty work.

Thanks Harry
Wasn't intending to have it done at a main dealer.
Have used the Guys in Ibrox will get a quote when I'm ready to have it done
Which I guess would be after the new year
Ian

When i had it in the Indy at Ibrox last month they didn't mention the Thrust Arm Bushes, but did say the offside balljoint had some play but not enough to worry about.

Is the ball joint part of the arm?

On my C Class I just had both arms changed at 85000 miles / 10yrs due to the bushes delaminating and the ball joints being worn. Cost was around £400 and Warranty Direct paid in full without quibble.

I'd also had the bushes changed at about 45K /5yrs under ServiceCare. It was a couple of hundred just for that. I remember the invoice was bonkers - charge for removing wheels, charge for removing arm, charge for pressing out bush...etc.

I suppose in age that's not too bad, but it's not a lot of miles (and it's mainly motorway use).

Last edited:
Just been on to Mercedes at Giffnock, the price quoted was for the Bushes only.
Price with parts and labour is £310, bit of a jump from £96
Thinking of replacing the bypassing the bushes and replacing the Thrust Arms both sides. Will try a couple of Indy's to see what they would charge.
The age of the vehicle probably means something else will go soon, wondering if I would be best to chop it in after the New Year ?
Problem is I don't do a lot of miles so in the long run might be better off keeping it :confused:
Ian

Is this the centre arm that sits on the hub ball joint . Shocker and anti roll bar link arm ?

Take a picture of the bush. They often get mis-diagnosed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom