Thruxton BSB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Did I see one of our forum members at Thruxton?

make that two

Was up there as well along with a very nice CLK 55 I was parked next to

Grav888: I've a marshalling question for you. How do you know when/who to blue flag? Are you given radio instructions from the Clerk of the Course? As a spectator I often find it hard to read car numbers until the car is very close (eye tested needed?), but by which time it would be too late to show a blue flag to give the driver sufficient time to see it.

Grav888: I've a marshalling question for you. How do you know when/who to blue flag? Are you given radio instructions from the Clerk of the Course? As a spectator I often find it hard to read car numbers until the car is very close (eye tested needed?), but by which time it would be too late to show a blue flag to give the driver sufficient time to see it.

A lot of it depends on whether it's a free practice, qualifying session or a race.

In anything other than a race, blue flags are shown to a rider/driver when he is being aproached by a faster rider/driver and may be passed (usually within yours or the next sector).
In a race, the blue flag is shown to a rider/driver when he is about to be lapped.
In cars, we have a stationary blue and a waved blue (depends on speed differential) and for the bikes, we only have a waved.
Some bike clubs do not use blue flags at all.:crazy:

Remember though, as a spectator, you are a lot further away from the cars/bikes than we are. When I do Graham Hill Bend at Brands Hatch, I am about 10 feet away from the edge of the track.

Last edited:
How do you know who is being lapped or who is racing for position but just had a bad exit from the previous corner making them slower for the next corner?

Do you keep a personal track of race positions or is this radioed to you?

Thanks.

How do you know who is being lapped or who is racing for position but just had a bad exit from the previous corner making them slower for the next corner?

Do you keep a personal track of race positions or is this radioed to you?

Thanks.

Chalk and armco;)

In the British SuperBikes and World SuperBikes, I am an Incident Officer, which means I am in charge of my corner/sector. I'm issued with a 2 way radio that is direct to race control. The information I receive is varied, but sometimes (especially in the main races) we are given a 'blue flag alert'.
I normally have 2 flag marshals, a pickup crew and myself on a corner and rotate the duties every couple of sessions. The people flagging can use any of the other 8 flags at their own discretion, but the red flag only goes out on my command. Normally, I do it myself.

Last edited:
Ah, but were you on the telly waving a red flag, dressed in non-breathable, flame retardent orange overalls;)

Nope, but it did look a tad warm in orange

Which sector were you on for Sunday (as Saturday was a quiet incident day)

BTW - first time at BSB - they are all certifiable!

I was running post 13 and 14. (Village)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom