Thule Aero bars and roofbox issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sjhalstead, May 2, 2016.

1. sjhalstead

sjhalstead Member

Car:
    E 350 Estate
    OK so I have just got some Thule Aero bars for my S212 . My roof box is a Halfords one, with U clamps. Is it safe to use some form of T bolt in the bar channel to secure it? This would only give 4 single points of bar area???

2. Giantvanman

Giantvanman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
    I would say no. Granted I prefer to over-engineer solutions but both the forces and stakes are high.

Better to have a plate about 80-100mm long with two bolts on it that goes into the channel with a corresponding plate with two holes that goes on the inside of the box. I could be wrong but the bars might take the force of a single bolt but a single fixing inside the box increases the chance of causing a stress fracture in the ABS plastic, even with a spreader plate. Better eight fixing points than four, I say.

3. Roy M

Roy M New Member

Car:
    CLS
    I used t bolts with reinforcement inside the box ( large plates) on my Thule. The bolts go through aluminium sections which run the length of the box so my opinion was that all would be OK - 1200 miles to Spain fuly loaded with no issues at all

4. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    just use the u clamps, that's what I have on my mb roof bars with a exodus box

5. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    I used the T bolts that slide into the channel on the bars...but...I drilled a series of holes in the box over each bar and used 5 T bolts and large washers...16 years later...no problem. That is 10 fixing points in total. The front bar is obviously the most important to get right.

Last edited: May 5, 2016