Thule car roof rack for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niks

MB Enthusiast
Has anyone tried or have the Thule roof rack on their cars? I want to get a bike roof rack for my car but want to know if they are any good or not. Will these work on a W124 Saloon?

Hi Niks

My only experience is with the estate. The 124 estate roofbars have a much smaller diameter than the modern ones and the Thule and Halfords cycle racks have trouble fixing to them. I have to wrap the roofbars with a foam sheet to increase the diameter. This works fine but is a bit of a PITA.

I used a Thule setup for 4 bikes on my Golf IVs. Still have all the kit wrapped up in a tarpaulin ... never really got round to getting new feet for my Mk Vs or the W220.

The racks create noise and some drag but it's the price you pay for the facility.

My tip is to get the locks all matched - makes life SO much easier

Do not underestimate how difficult it can be to lift some bikes on and off a car roof mounted bike rack, especially if carrying more than 2. Also if you are ever going to use Eurostar there are sometimes extra charges for vehicles over certain heights and restricted capacity as well.

It can make you much more prone to side wind effects as well, personally If iind a towbar mounted rack is easier and that is from someone of 6 foot 3.

I have the Thule aero bars and four Freeride carriers for two adult and two child bikes, and they have been a real success on my W210 estate.

Only points I would make are that the bike carriers have some flex in them, accessibility [I'm OK at 6' but wifey has no chance], and that to carry four you must have aero bars and 'T track adaptors' as they need to sit over the car's roof bars.

Hello

I use a Thule G5 rear towbar carrier, very very secure, doesn't seem to affect the mpg anything like roof ones and you can still drive almost normally round bends..tested cough at over 100kph...

ooh and it folds down with the bikes so you can still get in boot and is all lockable.

pic7.jpg

I also have the aero thule (mercedes bars for the bars) have to say the standard of the thule stuff is very very good and why

I have had Thule roof bars ( the standard ones , not aero ) since the days of the W123 estate , same bars fitted the W124 estate , with 4 cycle carriers up top - the only place to put them if you have the caravan on the back . I have had foot kits for my W201's and my W126's , all of which carry the bikes no problem .

I also welded up a bike carrier for my trailer which allows the bikes to hang transversely over the drawbar - ideal for camping hols .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom