Thule K-Summit Snow Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wookiepelt

Car
W211 E280 CDI Sport Estate
Hi all,

It's been a very long while since I last visited this forum but when in need of info relating to the MB, I always come back here...

Anyhow, it's that time of the year again with the cold spell about to set in. After getting stuck last year in the 211 when it snowed in London, I was looking to purchasing a pair of snow socks to leave in the boot. However I just did a search and there are none for all the available variations/brands that will fit the 211 rear tyres (265/35 x18)!

It appears that the only option I have are the snow chains. Have anyone see these self-centering, self-tightening Thule K-Summit Snow Chains before... or better yet own a pair and can comment on them?

Before buying chains I'd seriously look into picking up a set of cheap rims and some proper snow tyres. The prospect of kneeling in the snow at the side of the road trying to either fit or remove chains makes me shudder.

Before buying chains I'd seriously look into picking up a set of cheap rims and some proper snow tyres. The prospect of kneeling in the snow at the side of the road trying to either fit or remove chains makes me shudder.

Seconded!
I have just taken my wife to work through the lanes in the kompressor where the ditches that were full and overspilled across the road, were frozen this morning. This is the first real test of my cold weather Kumho's and I have to say that I was mightily impressed with their ability to maintain grip in such treacherous conditions. I don't believe that they have the full M+S capability (only time will tell) but they certainly gave me a reassuring feel.
Look for the snowflake symbol. :D

Came back from a trip to Germany a couple of weeks ago and just about every car i saw had winter/snow tyres fitted, some on alloys but quite a few on plain steel rims.

Double check to make sure the smaller wheels will fit over your brake calipers as i bought some cheap alloys and tyres with plans on fitting snow tyres for the winter, they were 16" rims and wont go over my front brakes!.

Lynall

deleted.....should have read OP fully......sorry

Last edited:
Another vote for winter/snow tyres. They work very well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I agree that snow tyres should be the first choice but I wonder if London roads really warrant snow tyres. Then there's the issue of tyre plus rims storage for the rest of the year... Hmm... decisions, decsions...

The problem with snow chains and devices like the Thule K-summit [which looks a very well engineered product ] is that they are really designed for conditions where the road surface is 100% snow for mile after mile. The problems with winter driving in the UK are the very varied road conditions experienced over a very short distance varying from snow to ice to slush to wet to dry pavement back to snow and ice again. In these conditions modern winter/snow tyres are really the best compromise.

The problem with snow chains and devices like the Thule K-summit [which looks a very well engineered product ] is that they are really designed for conditions where the road surface is 100% snow for mile after mile. The problems with winter driving in the UK are the very varied road conditions experienced over a very short distance varying from snow to ice to slush to wet to dry pavement back to snow and ice again. In these conditions modern winter/snow tyres are really the best compromise.
I agree. However after having been caught out by surprise and getting stuck last year with no way out but to slide and skid and eventually giving up and leaving the car by the side, I'm really after a emergency kit to at least drive off to a "safer" location. This I thought would possibly fit the bill as it can be left in the back during the winter period and be available if required in those emergencies.

I drive routinely to and from the alps (Bardonecchia, where the winter olympics were held in 2007) during the winter months...

While I do have a pair of snow chains, I have never (and I do mean never) seen conditions on the roads, within the UK, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria nor Germany, that warrant them. They are still brand new in their little box in my boot.

What I do have is a pair of snow tyres, which got the best review from the austrian (or was it Germany? can't remember) governemnt. They do reviews every few years of snow/winter tyres and publish the results.

Put it this way; snow chains are worthless if there is slush on the road. They are equally worthless for black ice, unless you are planning on driving on a frozen lake. Most snow chains limit you to 15mph... Which essentially means, unless you plan to do some offroading, snow chains are useless...

Snow tyres (and more importantly, winter tyres) give you the grip you need in cold, slushy conditions you will more likely encounter. If I remember well, you should be using winter tyres once temperatures fall below 14C (or was it 20?) either way - it's insanity to not have winter tyres in the UK!

If you are really concerned about being stranded on an ice-sheet; look at snow-socks... lighter, more portable and much less likely to damage your bodywork...

M.

Hi all,

It's been a very long while since I last visited this forum but when in need of info relating to the MB, I always come back here...

Anyhow, it's that time of the year again with the cold spell about to set in. After getting stuck last year in the 211 when it snowed in London, I was looking to purchasing a pair of snow socks to leave in the boot. However I just did a search and there are none for all the available variations/brands that will fit the 211 rear tyres (265/35 x18)!

It appears that the only option I have are the snow chains. Have anyone see these self-centering, self-tightening Thule K-Summit Snow Chains before... or better yet own a pair and can comment on them?

I have a set of similar chains by Trax......they are very good...I have only really used them to get out of my village (roads not ploughed or gritted!). However, I have sport suspension and 245 17" wheels and clearance between tyre and bodywork very tight so makes putting on the chains quite tricky....once on they work ok. However, do need to take them off as soon as tarmac appears.

Tried snowsocks.....worked well on wifes old care with 215 16" wheels but just could not get them fitted to my 245 17" as not enough clearance to get hands around wheels.

This year have winter tyres.....have not yet tried them in snow....might have chance today if I can find and excuse to go out (my meeting has been cancelled due to snow!!)

I live in central Scotland, and the weather here over the last few days, and ensuing road conditions, explode the myth taht we don't need either of these in the civilised parts of the UK!!!. Last year we had similar conditions, to the extent that I was out on Xmas night shoving an old 180E uphill out of my street with 8 other guys, Jags & Beemers were trapped like dinosaurs in a tar pit. I bought a cheap pair of chains for £30 on e:bay, and they are great for the short drive, 3 miles, but I feel I could climb a mountain with them. We have hard-packed ice here at the mo, and it's like driving over potholes. I've decided to upgrade for next year, but as I'm buying something else in the spring, not sure which wheels I'm going to have, I'll make do with these until then. However, doing some research, mytyres.co.uk sell winter tyres on steel rims for around £150 per corner, and skidrive.co.uk do superb Thule CL-10 chains for c£120/pair. Belt n braces, but you'll never get stuck. I think the K-Simmits are really over the top, more suited to driving on frozen lakes, but would seriously recommend having a pair (or two cos with rwd it's suggested that all wheels are given the same grip) of even cheap ones in the boot just in case, if you get in a bit of trouble, it's quicker and easier to fit them than wait for a tow truck on a cold snowy night

....would seriously recommend having a pair (or two cos with rwd it's suggested that all wheels are given the same grip) of even cheap ones in the boot just in case, if you get in a bit of trouble, it's quicker and easier to fit them than wait for a tow truck on a cold snowy night

Agreed but be very careful when choosing chains for front wheels: many cars need thin-link chains but sometimes chains on the front are a complete no-go not just because of projection behind wheel but effective increase in wheel diameter so chain can foul steering or suspension bits. Now a bit of rubbing from tyres might not matter but rotating chain is a very different matter.

BTW I have winter tyres and chains (for use in Alps where required) but so far have never had to resort to the chains for which I am very grateful. My only live bit of snow chain fitting took place many years ago in the dark on a mountain road in a howling blizzard. A true "Never Again!" experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom