Thumbprints

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
Went to get a adaptor for a small electronics device on the way to work this morning, paid in the new unmanned computer kiosks with my card, on collection of the item they asked me to sign the slip that came out the machine - fine.

The woman then asked for my thumbprint! :crazy:

I was like WTF, no way! I said to her Im not giving you my print as it contriveines a human rights law etc etc and if the shop didnt wan't to give me the item then I want a refund and ill pay by cash or take my money elsewhere.

Apparently every store in the highstreet was doing thumbprints and on the way back to the car park I saw MET police signs everywhere, WTF!!!

Tsk...

They'll be wanting your retinal scan next :confused: :crazy:

Or perhaps a DNA sample every time you use your credit card :p

That's the first time I've heard of these kind of security checks when paying for items. :eek:

S.

A new one on me.

There must be other ways. None of my cards have my photo on them, like some vendors issue.

Originally posted by Koolvin

Apparently every store in the highstreet was doing thumbprints and on the way back to the car park I saw MET police signs everywhere, WTF!!!

Trusting lot in London aren't they.

You didn't look that dodgy in your balaclava did you?:devil:

My card was 'cloned' recently - someone put it through a 'reader' and made a copy of it, and it ended up being used in Spain.

Would I give some OIK I don't know my thumbprint too? :eek:

Not in a million years... :crazy:

Very well put Guy!

Even if the thumbprint is genuinely used by the credit card company, how do they store that data, who has a legal right to use it/view it.

This is like some kind of government sponsored nationwide fingerprinting excercise done under the guise of credit card security....next they will be giving you a swab to take DNA samples.

This is all very dangerous information if it gets into the wrong hands IMO.

Last edited:
I wonder which Banks/Credit cards have endorsed this?

I noticed that there was a sign up in Hounslow High Street today explaining that the shops were operating this finger printing system.

In some parts of Europe when you use your credit card you have a pin number, so after your card is swiped you enter your pin number into the PDQ machine to verify that it is you, much like what you do when you take money from a cash machine.

A good system i thought. BTW How do they clarify that the finger print that you give is for your card since I have not heard of any Credit card company recording finger print details.

The whole finger print thing seams:bannana:
to me.

Tan.

Forgive the long reply, please..

All of them, in theory will back any anti-fraud initiative - but they don't insist on this - it's up to the retailer.

The theory is that the print is only kept until payment is cleared; if it isn't cleared because of fraud, then it will be turned over to the police.

Obviously it will deter the fraudster, who won't want to leave his prints...and this kind of fraud is a massive problem - as an example, the banks pay a £50 reward to every shop assistant who retains a suspect card on their instruction over the phone - and they paid out over £10m last year. That's just the ones that get caught.

BUT the real problem is the huge squabble between banks and retailers about how much each should pay for the introduction of chipped cards and pin numbers.

For years on the continent many banks have used a system which prevents your card ever being out of your sight - eg waiters carry a mobile which they bring to you - your card is put in, and you type in your 4 digit number.

Chipping cards stops them being skimmed and cloned, and the PIN number should only be known to the authorised holder.

But because of the row, we won't get them before 2005...in the meantime you have to decide whether to get an inky thumb, carry cash, your passport, or shop somewhere else.

Edit : Tan, you just beat me to it! :)

Last edited:
Just to clarify - last time I was asked to use one of these, there was no "inky thumb", the reader is just a dry pad - so no residue.

And it does not "confirm you are the correct user of the card" (as they don't have my prints on file) it just records the prints of the person who used the card on that ocasion.

:bannana:

Wasn't it one of the James Bond films where they used a stick on dummy finger print? perhaps we could all get a batch of these before our next shopping trip.:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom