Thumping noise from front end. Brakes or Suspension or bearing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSAmey

Car
MB - awaiting collection
Long time listener, first time caller.

So I bought an approved used Mercedes a couple of months ago.
I noticed a slight thumping noise, but put it down to road surface / expansion joints.

However it has got louder and is much more noticeable, particularly when cornering, especially on a left hand curve. Its always present, more when cornering, but doesn't get louder under braking.

Its rhythm speeds up and slows down with the speed of the car. Its loudest at 70mph on a curve.
If you put a foot on the floor you can feel it through the floor of the car.

Sooooo, its been back to the dealer, first time they couldn't diagnose and wanted me to bring it back so they could strip it down.

Second time round they have diagnosed corroded front discs. This sounds odd to me as when you are driving normally the discs wouldn't be touching anything and if the discs where warped then they would get noisy and vibrate under braking surely?

Personally I would have thought it to be a wheel bearing or a CV joint.

Thoughts?

Apart from the issue of being sold a car with ****ed discs (not a safety issue apparently, so not covered by warranty or the approved scheme checks) and then wanting £450 to put it right (they have offered a goodwill payment of £100); but this is a story for another thread.

Sorry I should have added, its an X117 - C250 Shooting Brake EbyAMG.

I would have thought that if the discs were warped there would be increased noise under braking and I would be getting feedback through the steering.

Sorry I should have added, its an X117 - C250 Shooting Brake EbyAMG.

I would have thought that if the discs were warped there would be increased noise under braking and I would be getting feedback through the steering.

Update: Local garage have diagnosed wheel bearing.
which tbh does seem far more likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom