Ticking Cam Lifters W140 S500 1996

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milservices

I have a S500 with 74,000 miles which has just starting a ticking noise from cam shaft area on one side. MB have quoted me 20 hrs work plus parts which equates to about £2000.00 + Parts!!! MB say the heads need to come off and the cams and followers replaced. I am sure I have heard somewhere that the problem is just the plastic lubricators to the lifters require changing. Does anyone know if this is true.
Thanks
Martin.

Has it had a good flush and/or oil change (using a decent oil)?

Sounds silly, but got to be worth looking at any other possibilities when £2K plus worth of work is on the cards? :)

Will

And you might wan't to consider an independant garage for the work when the £2K is the labour bill alone! :eek:

Good luck,

Will

You can buy this liquid from the USA that stops the noise. My friend used it in a S420 before and it worked a treat. I'll find out more info.

Ticking cam lifters W140

Thanks for all your help. I have seen the Greg Baxter article and the K6JRF's article they both explain how to change the lubricators. The car has full MB service history and has just had an oil service. Do you think it's worth changing the oil again. The oil is crystal clear as it always has been. MB dealer say they have had no reports of this fault on 190 engines yet the MB WIS system, which I have, clearly states it exisist and gives it a damage code of 18 027 04 "Complaint regarding bucket tappet noise" and states to change the lubricators if oil pressure is good.

I think you have your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom