Ticking noise behind my Dash on 1976 W116 280se

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coops41

Car
1976 Mercedes W116 280SE
I have read multiple threads about this issue but nothing seems to be the same symptom as I am experiencing. There is a 'ticking' sound from behind the dials on my dash. This ticking is there even without ignition being on. Most threads I have read seem to be related to a noise after start up.
I imported this classic car from a friend in South Africa with the goal of selling it. It was not doing this before it left. To ship it over, the battery was disconnected and I am wondering if somehow this could have thrown somthing out of sync.
The clock is not working but it sounds like the ticking of a clock.......
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Could it be an alarm that is set to sound the horn that has been disconnected from the horn?

Could it be an alarm that is set to sound the horn that has been disconnected from the horn?
Hi there, thanks for the response. Maybe if there is a fuse that has blown so I will check that but in theory, nothing was touched on the car other than battery terminals being removed and then replaced.

Could it be an analogue clock that just has a very loud tick?

if it has one, disconnect it and see if noise stops (pull fuse)

Is this a wind up………..

Could it be an analogue clock that just has a very loud tick?

if it has one, disconnect it and see if noise stops (pull fuse)
The clock is not working, making the noise quite a strange phenomena. It does sound exactly like a clock ticking but literally there is no movement.

^^^^That doesn't necessarily mean it's not the clock.

Clock could be ‘running’ with siezed hands

ticking noise could be a faulty relay.... pull fuses one by one...
Start by removing one fuse. listen if it stops check the relays on that circuit.. if it does not stop clicking replace it and pull the next one...
Likely a relay on the curcuits that stay live with ignition off. Radio, interior light, parking lights, horn, cigar lighter, alarm, clock, central locking.

be methodical.

Good luck.

Could it be a faulty 4 way hazard unit trying to operate - some had electromechanical timers back then- may not be fused either

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom