Ticking noise - C270 Estate Auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fwd

Car
C270 Estate - Smart ForTwo
Over the last couple of months, an annoying ‘ticking noise’ coming centrally from the dash/centre console area, reminiscent of the old speedo cable whip noise, has been getting more and more regular, and is constant now - the noise is within the car and not tyre or bearing rumble related.
The noise is definitely road speed associated, increases in rhythm from stationary up to about 40mph’ish and seems to stay constant after that.
I’ve tried to eliminate all rotating items, fans, applying brakes, gear selections, coasting in neutral, and the only thing that seems to stop or decrease it is steering into a LH bend (body flex ?) and can only think it could be a prop shaft issue transmitting noise to the front – but why does the ticking noise not increase past 40mph or so? There does not seem to be any radial play in the prop shaft either.
Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a cause/cure ?
Many Thanks

Have you checked the parking brake cable. It runs above the propshaft and is held up by plastic clips, which can break, allowing the cable to flap about and catch on the propshaft.

Couple of posts on here with the same problem. I think you have to remove the exhaust heat shield to access it.

Thank you for that Mike, I'll certainly give that a go - was not aware of the routing of the h/b cable...

Solved

Bang on... eventually managed to get the car over a pit, slid back the first shield and voila...
Substituted the broken blue plastic clip with a sturdy rubber covered metal 'P' clip - job done.
A couple of things to keep in mind, ensure the shroud retaining nuts are well soaked with penetrating oil before you start, have some spare nuts just in case (same nut can be used to hold the new P clip) and some penny washers as the nuts seem to have a tendency to wear thru' the heat shield...

NUT - STEPPED TYPE PRESSED HEAT SHEILDS
Mercedes Part Number: MA210 990 01 50
they were about £1.20 each a few years ago

Thanks again for the pointer ;)

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 37
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread