Ticking noise from underneath the car?...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mobb

Car
CLK55 AMG - E92 M3
So i've been noticing it for while and with a few other cars i've owned.. Mostly the Mercedes.. The car only makes this ticking noise when its running and idleing (not moving) or when the cars just been turned off after a run (small or long it still makes the noise).

So now to try and explain it.. if you imagine a metal box.. with no way in to it,fully sealed. imagine that inside that little metal box you could hear very faintly a tiny.. tiny.. TINY! little stone dropping from the top to the bottom of the box. ? you know? :dk: :crazy:

it only does it every 3 - 5 seconds and sounds as if its coming from under the car..

So to clarify we have a small tapping / ticking noise coming from under the car when idling and when having just been turned off.. sounds like the tinyest of stones and asif its in a metal box. It doesn't sound as if anythings wrong.. maybe just the heat of the components making noise whilst their expanding due to the heat?

Any help? anyone have a suggestion?

I appricaite that its very, very hard to understand from what i've said but any information will help... :)

Last edited:
Hmm

Well I had a BMW X5 (Ok I'm sorry for the bad language) The exhaust on that would tick in perfectly timed intervals every three seconds until the car was either hot or had cooled down. According to BMW this was a known issue and had convinced so many people that it had to be a mechanicl defect due to the rythmic repetition. Also the fact that it never sounded like it was coming from the exhaust.

I would think this is the exhaust contracting as it would be running cooler at idle speed, or when the engine is turned off. Nothing to worry about IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom