Ticking noise...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLKGirl

Car
SLK 250 CDI (R172), Porsche 996 4S, 987.1 S, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8, Honda Fireblade, Honda RC45
I have a tappy / ticking noise going on to with my SLK, it's been there from new, it's only done 3000 miles, it rises with revs but can hardly hear it in the cabin, it's been back to MB twice, they say could find nothing wrong and is nothing to worry about, but couldn't tell me what it is... they say it's not even run in yet etc etc... sounds to me like being fobbed off?

Tried to record it, link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmKU...ature=youtu.be

Having had an SLK myself it could one of two things IMHO:-

1 - your watch needs servicing
2- there is a petrol lawn mower in the boot which is running too rich

Both of these items can be easily resolved by removing them. Hope that helps;-)

Try to compare it with a same car and engine then you'll know if it's normal or not. Sounds like a diesel to me .

Try to compare it with a same car and engine then you'll know if it's normal or not. Sounds like a diesel to me .

See , I'm not the only one that thought it was a bit noisy, the MB guys said "it wasn't run in yet" after having it for 90 mins and going for the obligatory joy ride and breaking the speed limits according to my tracker...

Having had an SLK myself it could one of two things IMHO:-

1 - your watch needs servicing
2- there is a petrol lawn mower in the boot which is running too rich

Both of these items can be easily resolved by removing them. Hope that helps;-)

Rises with revs so it's not the watch.

My bet is a butterfly in next doors garden.

Remember this ? Turns out it's the fuel pump, a common problem, one that MB know about but have advised dealers not to change it but to only do it on a case by case basis which they have to do first.

Mine has got quite noisy so mine is at the dealer now, theya re awaiting approval from MB to change it, however it seems, after ordering the pump MB have put the replacement pump on back order claiming it's to make sure those that get "approval" to be replaced get a quiet one...

So it maybe I have to have yet another visit to get this fixed when the pump comes off back order....

Well let you know how it goes :)

Remember this ? Turns out it's the fuel pump, a common problem, one that MB know about but have advised dealers not to change it but to only do it on a case by case basis which they have to do first.
Good on you for sticking with it SLKGirl, & for having a better ear for engines than certain other micky-taking members on here.;)

Look forward to hearing how you get on mate.

Well, after 18months of trying to get this ticking noise eradicated, tracing it to a noisy fuel pump, a known issue and one MB dont want to do anything about, MB have finally agreed to change the pump, turns out when replacing the fuel pump due to this issue, interesting that they are replacing it with a different pump to ensure it is quiet..rather than the standard replacement part.

Waiting for the MB dealer in Brighton to get the part in and then it'll be off to get it replace... will breathe a sigh of relief when it's done!

Well, at least they're sorting something at last.
Hope it is successful in silencing it for you after all this.
Please keep us updated mate.

TICKING NOISE, u say!!???
with all these terorists around u don´t know what it is???... GET RID OF THE CAR, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.... IT´S A TIME BOMB!!!!

All sorted now, fuel pump changed... it's soooo. quiet ..as it should be

At least you can now relax about your motor and also pleasure the thought of all those numpties with noisey Mercs. riding around that think it is normal...lol

At least you can now relax about your motor and also pleasure the thought of all those numpties with noisey Mercs. riding around that think it is normal...lol
I agree with KeithJG, well done mate.! :thumb: You have certainly silenced those doubters as well as your SLK.
BTW, what colour is yours please.?

pleasure the thought of all those numpties with noisey Mercs. riding around that think it is normal...lol

Oh dear, the green eyed monster is back:rolleyes:. Hate to break it to you Keith, but some models MB produce come with a fair bit of noise.

Everyone with a noisy Merc is a numpty?:fail

That's a nice success story. :thumb:
You did well to persist with this. You'll have to do another youtube vid so we can see the before and after effect.

Oh dear, the green eyed monster is back:rolleyes:. Hate to break it to you Keith, but some models MB produce come with a fair bit of noise.

Everyone with a noisy Merc is a numpty?:fail

O..o....so you have a noisy Merc....:bannana:....lol

OK, so now you are being rude to me as you do seem to jump on me each time i post!

You also cannot read can you and just `cos you own a Merc. you think you are top of the pile compared with other makes. Well i have news for you aren`t.

My post was in line with this thread and no other so therefore i guess what i said does apply as MB even know the noisy fault .....can`t you read that or are you the ultimate numpty....sticking up for others abuse of the OP:doh:

Oh, and by the way i have been my own mechanic with my own motors since 1964 and i think i have heard enough engines to how they should sound Mercedes included.

Don`t say on your next post i can`t take a joke either which is what most would say ....i am serious to what i post so don`t take lightly to owners such as yourself ridiculing others members.

We are supposed to be in this together :eek:...

Last edited:
I agree Keith, and I guess the important thing is, whether your engine is noisy or not, to be able to tell if it sounds right, and if not, get it fixed. The OP correctly identified that the noise coming from her engine was not right.

I'm just shocked that it's so much trouble to get MB to recognise, and rectify this type of issue in a new car. Glad I don't buy new!

Keith no one was being ridiculed, SLKGirl is a fully paid up member of the Banter club and what was said was probably along these line's!

Tony.

but some models MB produce come with a fair bit of noise.

Indeed they do, usually called diesels... this is a 3.5l V6 petrol, (the stealer called it a "premium motor" and they agreed it should have been replaced when I took it back a few weeks after delivery) it should be quiet and not be like driving round with the authentic sound of a London taxi :)

In fairness to the Stealer, Mike Knott at Brighton Mercedes has been great, has put up with my whinging, harassment and regular visits to hassle him and has kept pushing MB to replace it, which paid off.

Anyway all resolved, it's now the place of serenity I thought I was buying into :thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom