ticking or knocking under valve cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drumhead87m

Car
1988 300te mercedes benz
I have a 1988 300 TE 200,000 miles it runs pretty good ,, there is a knocking or ticking towards thefront of the valve cover ,,I cant hear it unless open the hood is this it for my Merc??????

Headlight wipers dont work

How do I get my headlight wiper to work ??? Thanks,,,, and also can use fuses othe than ceramic?

The ticking noise could be a sticking valve, the headlight wipers only work when you use the windscreen washers. :thumb:

I think halfords sell the continental type fuse in plastic. :dk:

Ticking could be worn cam lobe (if noise constant), or sticking tappet (if it comes and goes).

The headlamp washers only work when headlamps are ON, and you work the screen wash - but they are probably broken, usually are.

Thanks Alex I kind of fiqured that ,I would assume they are quite expensive to fix too! Thanks again ,,Mark

Is there any substance that you can put in the engine that actually frees up sticky valves that works ?? thankls again ,,Mark

Have you changed the oil recently?

Sometimes a good long run + fresh oil can help, you could try a flushing agent if you like - some people might advise against it at 200k miles though.

Does it tick all the time, hot and cold?

Yes It does ticks or knocks all the time ,,,, but it just started about 1 month ago the car was stored for 8 years ,,Yes I changed the oil but the oil change place said they only put 5 w 30,, what is the correct oil for a 6 cylinder ?? Isnt it 40 or 50 weight ??? thanks Mark

Does this mean my motor is blown or needs replacing ,,because it drives great and runs over 130 miles per hour

Well - as a cheapest option, you've nothing to lose by doing an oil change, and maybe a flush as well.

My old 300TE didn't tick, was quiet as a mouse with 198K under it's belt.

A can of 10W/40 semi-synth and a filter should be cheap enough £15-20? Got to be worthwhile, especially as it was standing for so long.

Thanks Will, What oil do I use for the 6 cylinder , The oil change place says it only puts 5 w 30 in all cars ????? I thought the 88 benz take 40 or 50 weight ,,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom