Tide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ordessa

Car
B class
...anyone using this...??

Looks ever so like Spotify...and nothing more than a free sub to a streaming service...

Came free for a year on Mercedes ME

I use Tidal. I like the service - it has a great range and the quality is fantastic.
Got it free with Mercedes Me, and I think I will renew on the lower quality subscription.

I loaded it when it first became available but have never used it - more a talk radio guy...

I use Tidal. Really like it and it’s got me listening to music like I did in my teens! The CD quality streaming is excellent, especially if you have a decent sound system to play it through. Probably a waste of money paying for the higher quality if you’re only listening in the car though.

I assume it's only available on the newer models?
My 2015 car would be too old?
Do you get the full hifi version and can you pay the extra to get the family pack?

I assume it's only available on the newer models?
My 2015 car would be too old?
Do you get the full hifi version and can you pay the extra to get the family pack?

It’s an app on your phone that you can stream through the car via BT or media interface. I get the full hifi version but only stream that quality over WiFi. Over mobile data I’ve reduced it to 320kbps.

I get the full hifi version but only stream that quality over WiFi.

Is that possible?
I thought hifi quality would only be possible via a wired connection?

BT streaming is inferior.
I'd like to achieve the best quality possible to make use of my audio system.

Yes it’s possible.
I don’t know the bitrate but I would bet it is no more than 40Khz
So well within a 4G connection bandwith.
And on my Audio 20 5*1 you can connect directly via the usb socket so no BT rubbish.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/584PVpLjxFJ3rbj87

26A6EC99-A012-4ECE-8B52-018FEAA46363.png
Is that possible?
I thought hifi quality would only be possible via a wired connection?

BT streaming is inferior.
I'd like to achieve the best quality possible to make use of my audio system.

As above it’s possible.
The Tidal App streams everything.
At home I stream Masters which are up to 24bit 192KHz (but normally it’s HiFi which is 16bit 44.1KHz 1411Kbps) this will stream over a stable 4G connection but struggles on anything less. In the car I use the high quality setting which is 320Kbps. I normally use BT for convenience but the sound is better through the media interface. My S212’s standard stereo is ok but nothing special so the 320Kbps is fine to my ears.

Thanks for the above responses guys but I'm still a little confused. Sorry
When using Tidal, what method do you use to connect to your car?
We all agree that Bluetooth is not the best way for quality audio.
You both mention using 4G. Are you saying you connect your phone to your car via Bluetooth (for incoming/outgoing calls) but choose a setting in the Tidal app to stream audio to the car via the phone's data connection?

Thanks for the above responses guys but I'm still a little confused. Sorry
When using Tidal, what method do you use to connect to your car?
We all agree that Bluetooth is not the best way for quality audio.
You both mention using 4G. Are you saying you connect your phone to your car via Bluetooth (for incoming/outgoing calls) but choose a setting in the Tidal app to stream audio to the car via the phone's data connection?

No need to apologise. If I want the best quality I connect using the media interface cable and Tidal streams through mobile data. Does your car have the media interface?

Reactions: Ted
Thanks for walking me through this.
Embarrassingly, I don't know if I have the media interface.
It's an early 2015 model so not sure it was available back then?
If it was an option for my car then it should have it as it's "fully loaded" (really hate that phrase as I always associate it with overzealous used car sales people trying to pull the wool over your eyes.)

What am I looking for to confirm if I have the media interface?
I believe I have an aux input, USB ports and a media register in the car.

Just briefly RTFM (albeit the USA version) but from what I can gather, I use the USB port is the media interface.
Assume I just use the charging cable that comes with the phone, right?

I'm not near the car at the moment so unable to check.

F42A692A-5E1A-4504-AAC7-6795BA05AACE.jpeg The media interface uses a dedicated cable (like the one in the photo) that gives you more control of whatever’s connected. My car is a 2012 and has it so it would have been available on a 2015 car (unless yours has something newer).

On mine, there are two usb ports in the armrest. The media interface has a picture of a smartphone next to it.

Are you saying one of the USB ports is the media interface?
Or there's a different type of socket next to the USB ports?

On mine, one is a media interface and the other is for charging.
Both are physically the same (usb) but the legend next to the media interface is a smartphone (iirc)
I’ll take a look later.

I'm away at the moment so won't be able to look in my car until next week.

Are you apple or android?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom