Tie rod end locking bolts question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dee James

Car
2003 ML 270
I've had the tie rod s and track rods changed on my 203 ML today and the garage called me to say they didn't come with the locking nuts just normal ones. All of the different types I've seen online are supplied with normal nuts - are the locking nuts required and if so what are the ones supplied for?

stevehg said:
As long as they are nylocs they will be fine. If not just change out for stainless nylocs.

They just look like normal nuts to me, the garage managed to save one of the nuts that was on the car that goes over the end of the track rod and reused it - it looks like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIE-ROD-E...TV-MPV-ML270CDi-W163-2-7L-170-B-/191110536802

I will order one for the sake of a few quid but it does make me wonder why the normal ones are supplied with the tie rods unless both are supposed to be used maybe?

Do not re-use nylocs. It is a terrible practice for the cost of a pair of stainless nylocs. Swap them out, and consider changing garages too , if they are happy to re-use them then what else would they be willing to do?

Last edited:
Do not re-use nylocs. It is a terrible practice for the cost of a pair of stainless nylocs. Swap them out, and consider changing garages too , if they are happy to re-use them then what else would they be willing to do?

Agreed 100%

Nylocs are used for a reason, MB would not use them in production if they were not needed.

@OP

I'm guessing the parts were not from MB?

richard1978 said:
The original nuts are not nylocs - they are as per the link I posted (I would have posted a pic but I'm on the iPad) basically they overlap the connection to the track rod to provide a better seal/lock than just tightening a normal nut up to it. I would totally agree if they were nylocs not replacing them would be terrible practice, in fact it was the garage that said although the nuts supplied would probably be ok but they were not happy to use them and have said if I get one they will fit it and recheck my alignment at no extra cost to me so I can't fault them really . . ..

bob6600 said:
Agreed 100% Nylocs are used for a reason, MB would not use them in production if they were not needed. @OP I'm guessing the parts were not from MB?

No, German made Tuv approved - although type I looked at were the same . . .

The locking nut used wasn't a nyloc - it's more of as sleeved nut that goes over the end of the track rod

As you say, for the cost of a couple of nuts, it's safer just to replace. However, it's perfectly acceptable to reuse nylocs if the nylon sleeve is not damaged and you can still torque to an acceptable level. So if the garage were to follow this practice they wouldn't be doing anything incorrect.

No, German made Tuv approved - although type I looked at were the same . . .

The locking nut used wasn't a nyloc - it's more of as sleeved nut that goes over the end of the track rod
What's the purpose of the sleeve part of the nut? If the tie rod design requires this then you should use these special nuts. If you are concerned about them coming undone, you could have them use the correct type of thread lock.

cheers, Steve

stevehg said:
As you say, for the cost of a couple of nuts, it's safer just to replace. However, it's perfectly acceptable to reuse nylocs if the nylon sleeve is not damaged and you can still torque to an acceptable level. So if the garage were to follow this practice they wouldn't be doing anything incorrect. What's the purpose of the sleeve part of the nut? If the tie rod design requires this then you should use these special nuts. If you are concerned about them coming undone, you could have them use the correct type of thread lock. cheers, Steve

I've just ordered the nut from mercedes, will be at the garage in the morning - if that's what should be there it makes sense but I would still love to know why these other nuts were supplied with the tie rods if only out of curiosity

Listen,
I'm glad the garage said that. It restores faith somewhat. If the nuts were not consumable then they wouldn't be supplied with the rod end. Besides that, usually they are demolished when being removed. Heating them up is common place so they will rust much quicker after being cooked.
Nyloc is sufficient, equally the MB part is what MB designed so must be fit for purpose. Glad it's resolved either way. Put some grease on the ends so they don't corrode for their next replacement.

thought i would update this just in case it was useful to anyone else . . .

the tie rod ends and track rod ends i sourced where German made TUV approved arrived in under 24 hours and £60 for both pairs, pretty much half the of the cheapest price the garage were quoted although in both cases the lock bolts needed were not supplied - i found Mercedes to be the cheapest for there at just over a fiver each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom