Tier 1 warranty - bushes not covered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
I am informed that the thrust arm bushes (bushings?) on my CLS are cracked.

Symptoms are a mild occasional squeaking from the suspension area.

The dealer informed me that bushes / rubber parts are not covered under the Tier 1 warranty as they are wear and tear items.

The Tier 1 documentation does state that "All service items which will require periodic replacement" are excluded. Is this really a service item - I don't think I have ever had to have these changed on a car before.

Not the end of the world as the quoted price to change was around £200 all in, and I could probably get this done a fair bit cheaper at a tame independent if I can be bothered. Just a little frustrating - I thought this warranty was supposed to be the best available out there and I have only had the car 7 months.

Is it worth getting this attended to soon or fine to leave to next MOT (5 months) or next service (11 months)?

I would challenge that. Tier 1 is supposed to be equivalent to the warranty from new, and I'd expect bushes to be covered. I got a new battery from Tier 1 and my car was 7 years old at the time.

Have the dealer asked for a Good will contribution from MB? I had a Gearbox intercooler pipe changed today, the seal was leaking which aren't covered by Tier 1. However my dealer got MB to pay 72% of the cost, which was basically all the labour charges. Only cost me £50 in the end but still a little annoyed it wasn't covered.

Thanks folks. I'll try to find a contact number for the warranty cover to challenge tomorrow, or MBUK if I can'tfind a contact.

No goodwill contribution was mentioned.

Get the feeling that MB are trying to clamp down a bit on warranty work as found various threads on various forums about bushes being done under Tier 1 in past years.. A new battery at 7 years is pretty good going too!

WD 40 should sort this :thumb:

What a load of rubbish, call them yourself and demand an explanation.

Just been on to the MB warranty claims hotline and they said yes, these items are definitely covered under premature failure - he said he couldn't think of any reason they would not be covered on a car under 100,000 miles.

So left a message for the dealer to call me back - hopefully will get this done under warranty now. Weird that they wanted me to pay for this (better labour rate for non warranty work perhaps or UK MB corporate targets for % of warranty vs paid for work carried out at a dealership maybe?).

Last edited:
Booked in for Weds next week, dealer warranty person agreed Tier 1 warranty claim so should be 100% costs covered.

Bit of a pain to have to go back again but at least it will be sorted. Plus the car should get a full clean inside and out again, save me doing it in this cold weather.

Glad its sorted :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom