Tier 1 Warranty - Do I need to use main dealer for servicing?

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by jswaly, Sep 11, 2018.

1. jswaly

jswaly New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI Saloon
    Hi All,

Newbie here just joined the forum. As per above - would love to know what my options are? Also I am late in getting this done because I was away, milagewise I have only done about 2000 miles from my last service! Thanks in advance.

2. WOODYTHEWISE

WOODYTHEWISE Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 500 Coupe.
  3. OP
    OP
    jswaly

jswaly New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI Saloon
    Thank you WOODYTHEWISE. This is what they say " The continued validity of your insurance is dependent upon you having the insured vehicle serviced by a Mercedes-Benz passenger car repairer in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications." Does this mean I can use an independent garage - in my case Wayne Gates would be the closest?

4. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C43 W202 Project, Mercedes ML350, Honda Fireblade RR-D
    You could always contact your local MB dealership and seek clarification.

5. WOODYTHEWISE

WOODYTHEWISE Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 500 Coupe.
    Ah....the way I read it Wayne Gates would be fine.
    To be on the safe side I would give MB warranty a call.

6. OP
    OP
    jswaly

jswaly New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI Saloon
    @Abb & @WOODYTHEWISE - I spoke to MB Warranty Administration and they confirmed that I DON'T have to use a MB franchise dealer, I can use an indy provided the following conditions are met -

1. Indy is VAT registered
    2. Indy will keep all paperwork for all the work carried out and also provide the same to me
    3. Indy will use genuine MB parts and carry out the service as per manufacturers specifications

My next call will be to Terry over at Wayne Gates to book it in for a B5 service.

Thanks

Abb, WOODYTHEWISE and st13phil like this.
  7. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    The key part of your quote as to why you can use other servicing agents is in bold.

They cannot stop you as it contravenes the Block Exemption Regulation.

8. RussJ

RussJ Member

Car:
    Mercedes SL63 2013
    Strange, I had the same debate regarding my SL63 with them and was told that I had to use a franchised dealer!
    Not sure that the Block Exemption rule applies to extended warranties, only to the manufacturers original.
    I should make sure you get it in writing!
    Russ
    Extract from the handbook:
    "Servicing requirements for your Mercedes-Benz The continued validity of your insurance is dependent upon you having the insured vehicle serviced by an authorised Mercedes-Benz passenger car repairer in the UK in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  9. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Diamond White W212 E63 Biturbo with Night Package / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    I believe you are correct wrt the Block Exemption legislation, in that it only applies to the original manufacturer's warranty.

An extended warranty is an insurance product for which there are contractual obligations on both sides. As such, my belief is that the T's & C's of that product will define where servicing must be carried out. Branded extended warranty products (rather than generic ones, e.g. Warranty Direct) will typically require the use of "genuine" manufacturer parts, and adherence to manufacturer service schedules, while generic warranties will normally just specify that work must be carried out by "a VAT-registered workshop". I'm not aware of anything that stops the policy provider requiring the work to be carried out by an "authorised" service facility - which for a branded warranty product would typically be a main dealer.

As you say, get it in writing!

whitenemesis likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    jswaly

jswaly New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI Saloon
    So on the wise and correct suggestion to get it in writing, I emailed them and below is the response I received -

Begin Quote

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

To confirm, the conditions you listed:

1. Garage was VAT registered
    2. Garage kept all the paperwork with regards to all the work done and also provided me with the same.
    3. Garage used genuine Mercedes-Benz parts and carried our the work as per manufacturers specifications.
    This is absolutely fine. The only works that must be done directly at Mercedes, are any claims works e.g. repairs.

If you do have any further questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Chelsea Gleeson
    Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty Services Co-ordinator

Mercedes-Benz Extended Warranty Services

Tel: 0345 641 9765
    Fax: 0208 603 0320

End Quote

Hopefully this should also help anyone else with questions around using an independent garage.