Tignes or Val D'Isere?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
It's time to start researching next year's excess money removal plan, and L'Espace Killy is one of the favourites.

We're not too bothered about aesthetics, we like to get the first lift of the day then ski until they stop. The quantity and quality of the skiing is the most important factor, as is its accessibility. Ski out ski in is attractive but not a deal breaker.

We'll be staying in a catered chalet, so for those who've been to either or both, should we base ourselves in Tignes or Val D'Isere?

Been to both resorts. Depending on your ski level both offer great on and off piste. Tignes offers more ski in ski out accommodation and also has the La Grande Motte glacier which is great. Both not the prettiest of resorts, but didn't really worry me. Apres is second to none in Val D'Isere (depending on what you like to do).

Can't really go wrong with either in my opinion.

Unfortunately the word Ski is associated with big money.

Have a Farm House @ 2000m just outside St Lary Soulan

Wouldn't ski anywhere else now as I have a residence the lift passes are all free :)

Snow can be iffy depending on time of year but there's plenty to do in Winter or Summer

15 mins from Spanish boarder means cheap Booze etc :)

Nice driving area in the Summer, when I'm on the way to Spain we stop off there to give the place an airing :)

Smiley over kill but it does that thinking about the place.

The Villa in Spain is another matter ........................ :(

Last edited:
Just got back from tignes in march, off pieste is amazing. Also poped over to to val d both are good snow wise, you will pay more in val d. tignes après is also good.

Not many tree runs so on a white out visibility is very poor, but for me it works as you get a lot of mountain to your self.

If you are considering other resorts I can highly recommend St Anton, probably my favourite European ski destination. Although in Austria I find it cheaper than the well known French resorts, but provides exceptionally good skiing particularly off piste. Night life is also great

I know both resorts well and to be honesty there isn't much to choose between them if you are all about the skiing like myself.

They are so well connected that they sort of merge into one anyway.

I do have a soft spot for the glacier at tignes, when I stay at either resort I make a bee line directly for the top of the funicular as that is just the best skiing you can get when the piste is freshly groomed.
After that there is a vast area of terrain to choose.

If you stay in val disere the area to the top left corner (looking at a ski map) is fantastic and gets you away from the crowds.

If you are a competent skier, le face is a black that just has to be done at least once a day if not just to get some speed thrill...

Folie douce is a great reason to stay in val if you like a bit of a party...

The only other real reason to stay in val over tignes is the village is a lot nicer, nice shops bars restaurants etc... If you are staying catered then it really doesn't matter.

All I will say about accom in tignes is carefully consult the location on a ski map as there are some areas in tignes that are a pain to get to and from and involve relying on certain lifts being open... We stayed in le lac once and it was a good 30 mins to get to any real skiing in the morning. Also we had to plan the route back carefully...

If you need a ski company I can thoroughly recommend ski total/ ski esprit, outstanding every time I have been with them.

Thanks jaymanek. If your powers of recall stretch to it, how do these two sound for location?

Chalet Glacier occupies an enviable location, superbly placed for skiing, between Lavachet and Tignes Le Lac. The chalet is attractively built in local wood and is full of character, with pine interiors and a warm, cosy atmosphere. A good sized lounge with seperate dining room make this chalet a great social envirnment after a day on the slopes. Two pistes and two high speed chairlifts are located just a few metres from the doorstep.

Chalet Milou is located close to the centre of Tignes Le Lac, just across the road from the nearest lifts and in normal conditions you can ski almost back to the door. The chalet provides comfortable, cosy accommodation and all rooms have private facilities. There is a good size open plan lounge/dining area and guests can also take advantage of the chalet's sauna.

Thanks jaymanek. If your powers of recall stretch to it, how do these two sound for location?

Best location in tignes is val claret, plus the funicular (train) goes straight to the the top.

Out of those two I would go for the glacier one... Good location, can get straight up towards val disere or quickly get to the glacier....

Trip advisor suggests the rooms are small but that's normal in my experience...

Thanks. We're well used to chalets at the less expensive end of the market. A decent breakfast, tea and cake when we get back, free-flowing plonk and somewhere to shower and sleep are all that's needed.

I know what you mean about location. Our Alpe D'Huez chalet this year was "100 metres from the lifts". It was. The midpoint of the bucket lifts, which take an age to deposit you at the main 'dispersal point'. Even though the 100 metre claim is true, it's still at least twenty minutes before you're heading downhill.

Hah yes we stayed outside the mid point of those lobster pots last season. Didn't mind it too much as wife had lessons at the top anyway...

Great resort alpe dhuez...

Alpe D'huez was good The Sarenne was a good Run (one of the longest in europe ) I remember our stay there well for 30 or 40 Euros we helicoptered over to les Deux Alpes, stopped on a Ridge Rotors running, and dropped us off Felt like James Bond! Great value and a good day out at another resort.
This year I'm Just back from a week in Cortina , including a Day out at Sella Ronda that was enjoyable and the skiing around Arraba so impressed me I'm looking to go back there next year . Val & Tignes are Good and I agree with the Comments above on them . St Anton also is good . Three valleys takes some beating for mileage and take a look at the new zip wire at Oreille La Tyrolienne, you gotta try that sometime ! Vallee Blanche at Chamonix also a lifetime experience The Arrete Ridge, snowbridges ,crevasses, a Lifetime memory.
Boyd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom