TiiRUS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
This morning I was cruising along at (;) MPH) on the M4 when I see a black S class approaching FAST.

I moved into the middle lane and he is parrellel to me keeping up with my speed, he had HUGE rims and as he passed me I see that it's a BRABUS 5.8 his number plate was 'T11RUS'

TIRUS : god of evil and hatred.

Oh it was a left hooker and it was a old bold guy driving it! :bannana: :rock: :rock: :rock:

T11 RUS belongs on a Silver 1999 Jag S-type V6 3.0L. :confused: :crazy:

Just checked it out!

Originally posted by Sp!ke

oh, and how did you check the reg no. wheelie ?

Most online insurance quote systems will reveal the car from a reg. no.

very clever Jimmy....didnt think of that.

I wonder how long that will keep working for before people realise it is in breach of Data Protection laws?

very clever Jimmy....didnt think of that.

I wonder how long that will keep working for before people realise it is in breach of Data Protection laws?

Spike,

We use a system that connects to HPi to give us details on the cars from the reg no. We only get details about the car, model, engine size, VIN No, Engine codes etc so that we can match parts to that car.

We don't see any personal or owners details at all, it is a commonly used sytem and no details are kept on file at our end so no worries with Data protection.:rolleyes:

Out of interest T11RAL is an ISUZU Trooper!!

Its amazing how many garages phone us up and don't know what car they are working on, so this system really helps us.

Quite worrying though how often the registration brings up a completely different car to what it is supposed to be. Sometimes it is because a reg no. is being transferred and has not been updated yet, other times I don't know, stolen, cloned, false id???

Ah, got it now................too many 1's.

Mercedes 180 series, Black, 5800cc, 1999, saloon.

Quite a few details missing though which is unusual,

No info on:

Transmission, Model, Engine No. and only part of the VIN no.

When I got my insurance swapped over to the merc, Direct line insisted my car was a manual, their computer said so. I said "I have the original invoice for the car in my hand and it says it's an auto, besides which I'm sat in the car right now!". They went for it in the end.

I take it we've all heard the "no plate" urban legend?

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/noplate.asp

There is another apparently "true" story: one day the guy who runs the British Transport Museum gets a letter from the police to say that he's been caught speeding. He doesn't recognise the licence plate but checks around and finds it on an ancient Ford, which hasn't been driven in years and years. It turns out that the plate caught on camera was on a foreign car and it had been mistaken for the UK plate assigned to the car in the museum :)

A wise person once said to me "never let the truth get in the way of a good story", nice story though, dunno how true it is.

We only get details about the car, model, engine size, VIN No, Engine codes etc

Oh, you mean you *only* get enough information to be able to 'Ring' cars rather easily.

Ah, got it now................too many 1's.

ROTFL..... you mean Koolvin got the information wrong twice?

People should really start taking what he says with a pinch of salt you know - especially as I posted the *correct* info a few weeks earlier. ;)

:crazy: :eek:

ok ok, it was early and I was engulfed in a daze at his tail pipes :S

Oh, you mean you *only* get enough information to be able to 'Ring' cars rather easily.

If I was the sort of person to be easily offended I would be very offended now!

Not everybody has criminal intentions!!

Sorry Jimmy, perhaps I didn't express myself clearly.... I wasnt pointing the finger at you :rolleyes:

The point I meant to make was that this information is just what car theives and the like need to clone a car.

If it is as easy as you say it is to get the info (which it is coz I just tried it) then its only a matter of time before the powers that be close it down using existing data protection laws - if they have any sence that is!

I mean, how many pictures of people's cars have you seen on the web still displaying number plates.

Hell, I now know I can get all the details required to clone Dave's "company car" ...thanks to the picture he posted of it the other day.

In fact , to go one stage further, I could even get clever with the colour laser printer in the office (you should see how well it does ten pound notes...LOL) knock up a few dodgy documents and go and order a new set of keys for it and go and take it for a spin one day flashing lights and all. :confused:

Equally, that dodgy teenage hooligan who lives down the road from you all could also order a key for *your* car and take your pride and joy for a blast down the local gravel pits.

Maybe I am a bit cynical here but I recon its way too open to abuse and frankly I am rather surprised its availiable. :mad:

Last edited:
In fact , to go one stage further, I could even get clever with the colour laser printer in the office (you should see how well it does ten pound notes...LOL) knock up a few dodgy documents and go and order a new set of keys for it and go and take it for a spin one day flashing lights and all.

Which I guess is why MB now require photo ID to order keys etc...

Jeez if I would never of have met SP!KE in real life I would of have said he is one dodgy fella!!

Equally, that dodgy teenage hooligan who lives down the road from you all could also order a key for *your* car and take your pride and joy for a blast down the local gravel pits.

Spike.

Nice thought, but don't forget you would have to get past our old friend "Job's worth" first:rock:

Sorry Jimmy, perhaps I didn't express myself clearly.... I wasnt pointing the finger at you :rolleyes:

I didn't think you would be really, ;) But could have been read differently.:confused:

You must have found a way of doing it on the web for free then? We have to subscribe to a service that is several hundred pounds a month and we have to pay for each time we use it.

I guess there is something in the contract about Data Protection Act................but who reads contracts anyway?:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom