Tiling bad wall help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If the tiling & grouting is done correctly you shouldn't need special backer board anywhere - the tiling & grouting should be waterproof.

I guess the backer boards give piece of mind. Say if the grout is waterproof, but waters does penetrate, at least it won't break down ?

I have seen poor tiling (supposed professional job:eek:) Where plastic spacers were used at the corners of tiles but not fully pushed back. Grouting then had plastic spacers showing through.
Shower leaked like a sieve.

If I use plastic spacers I just stick the ends of the spacers between the tiles until the adhesive has set, then remove them before grouting.

Whilst prepping the wall for boards, got a call from the plasterer who had time to skim the ceiling.

When he had seen how level I got it, he recommended Plan A but using the hard wall I have left. Still won't be as flat as boarding out as it will be hard to loose any high spots with large tiles . . .

If you really want to go completely overboard, buy some 35mm stud, insulate inbetween with Kingspan, then board the stud work.

Then tile on top of the boards.

Should I do this on the opposite external wall for a bit of insulation (solid walls) ?

If I used Hardibacker I wouldn't need a vapour barrier either ?

Chris

On the subject of tiles, but nowhere near as big a job as the OP's, can anyone recommend a genuinely good cleaner for white grout? Just about to give our ensuite a freshen up and although the grout's not bad, it'd look a lot better if whiter.

On the subject of tiles, but nowhere near as big a job as the OP's, can anyone recommend a genuinely good cleaner for white grout? Just about to give our ensuite a freshen up and although the grout's not bad, it'd look a lot better if whiter.

I've never found anything that really works.
A piece of glasspaper folded to fit and rubbed along the joint will clean the muck off and return the grout to white.

run some thick (clear) bleach down the vertical & whatever comes to hand on the horizontal & leave for a while - as long as there's no contamination (eg paint) on the grout it's quite impressive. You might have to rinse off with an old toothbrush

Last edited:
run some thick (clear) bleach down the vertical & whatever comes to hand on the horizontal & leave for a while - as long as there's no contamination (eg paint) on the grout it's quite impressive. You might have to rinse off with an old toothbrush

Though I've done the same you have to be careful depending on what tiles you have. Getting bleach on some bathtubs isn't a great idea either so be careful!

i've been buying my plasterboard for my renovation from:

Online Builders Merchants | DIY | Timber | Building Supplies London

great prices and you'll find it will be your local builders merchant actually delivering but at a fraction of their usual price

Plus free delivery over £50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom