Time & Country keeps resetting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

d8ean

ok,

so i've set the time in the car now about 10 times, after a few hours it resets back to germany and the time moves on by around 2 hours each time:wallbash:

does this mean the battery in the boot is dead?

when cleaning it on saturday i heard a bleeping noise and the screen flashed up command low battery or something ??

im guessing the battery is dead or perhaps the cold weather is playing it up? where its not be used very much and sitting around outside for a few weeks at the dealer before i collected

any thoughts on the above, its a 55 plate SL55

TIA
Deano

Do you have the consumer shut off displayed on the dash as this would say the battery is dead when the car is running

what is consumer?
it has said to me convienice settings not available, but from memory that was when the battery is on low, or car has been sitting for a while?? i had this on my old SL55 but not once did the time change on me..

hopefully it just needs a long motorway run to charge everything up? may stick it on the ctek tonight, which one to i plug that into? the engine one or the boot one?

TIA
DC

On some they said consumer some said convienice it is the same thing.

If you are not getting that warning and it is still loosing its memory i would then say it is not the battery on it. But it may be worth sticking it on a charger and retesting. The battery you want to stick it on is the one in the boot.

ok,

im getting that warning & its losing time
i'll stick the ctek on the one in the boot and see how she fiars

thanks for the advice, slowly getting into the forum now

new battery replaced by Merc, still getting the same issue now so they seem to think that water may be in the electrics? hard to beleive as i checked everything as and when we bought it and after cleaning with a power jet, boot and behind drivers seats was bone dry - any other ideas?
TIA

they cant find the problem, car now in for a 2nd time (needed it back for more detailing) they said they dont know how to fix the problem..... they have to talk to some tech dudes in germany?

(6 years since i've owned a merc - still seems the level of service is piss poor)

Do you have any other problems with the comand system as the clock is set by the gps if i remember correctly

no, map works fine, tv, radio, CD etc all perfect... no sooner do you reset it to UK and then the time updates im guessing via gps - leave the car for an hour or so and it resets back to germany and 2 hours in front????

Is the car a uk brought car or is a import

im thinking has the actual command unit broke?

oh and get this, because the car has only done 17k since new, merc wont approve a new battery on warrenty because the car has done so few miles (its the original battery in the boot) can you believe that!!!! my argument is i only bought it in Jan it came with a tier 1 warrenty so sorry im not paying.... if it is a new command unit then they can certainly foot the bill for that also!

I can only think it is the comand unit as well as the clock is set by the comand.

What you only brought the car this jan and the battery is playing up.

If thats the case then they should replace the battery as it obviously faulty. What was the mileage on the car when you got it.

Not familiar with these new fangled electronics but do they have circuit on board backup batteries to retain CMOS settings? Certainly sounds as if your system is constantly resetting to factory default status due to power downs. Lots of Command experts on here you just might have to wait for them to come on line.

Last edited:
Not familiar with these new fangled electronics but do they have circuit on board backup batteries to retain CMOS settings?

More likely to have Non Volatile Memory (NVM) integrated circuits as once these are written to they retain the settings in the register even after power down.

I can only think it is the comand unit as well as the clock is set by the comand.

What you only brought the car this jan and the battery is playing up.

If thats the case then they should replace the battery as it obviously faulty. What was the mileage on the car when you got it.

17.2k when i bought it, now at 17.3k... something to do with the battery being the original and being used so little that it was only going to kill the battery....madness, i've told them im not paying

17.2k when i bought it, now at 17.3k... something to do with the battery being the original and being used so little that it was only going to kill the battery....madness, i've told them im not paying

Why should you pay for the battery its not your fault that its the original battery.

That battery is about 5 years old now and what they say from lack of use can cause this fault to happen is correct. But the battery must have been on its way out before you brought the car from lack of use.

Where did you buy the car from was it from a main dealer if it was then i should of had a used car check done on it which would involve checking the condition of the battery. If i was you i would ask to see the report done on the car when the used car check was done. That is if it was brought from a main dealer

it was purchased from a main dealer, dont worry battery is now no charge, looks like a new command unit is needed - they reckon its about 4k?

Did they foot the bill for the battery.

Have they confirmed it is the comand unit or is it 50/50 that it will cure it

Did they foot the bill for the battery.

Have they confirmed it is the comand unit or is it 50/50 that it will cure it

battery is down to them - confirmed, the have been in talks with merc germany and done aload of testing - its the command unit apparently... its all under warrenty so im not fussed :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom