Time for a new car: E350 7G or 9G?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhysC63?

Car
E350 2015 9g AMG Prem Plus, previously C63
Hi,

Unfortunately it's almost time to hand in the keys of my beloved C63 which I've had on a 2yr lease. I've loved every mile in it and only wish I could get another, but with the new model not being available anytime soon and a lack of lease deals I think I will have to look at other options.

The E63 is out of my price range so I'm tempted to compromise and go for an E350. Now my dilema is as follows:

There are some very cheap 2014 E350 (7G) lease deals available right now, but knowing that I could also order the new 9G version I feel that I might might regret taking the cheaper option.

I can get a basic (no options) 7G E350 with immediate delivery for around £390 p/m
But I could also extend my C63 for a couple of months and spend £550 or so p/m on a 9G Premium Plus model.

My sensible head says I'd be quite happy with the 2014 model in standard spec, but the more dominant, materialistic side of me is saying "no way! I want the NEW car with the extra toys"

Does anyone here have experience of driving both? Once the novelty of reversing cameras etc. wears off does the 9G model really outclass the 7G one enough to warrant the price difference? I guess I could find some other ways to entertain myself with the £160 p/m saving :)

Update - extending the C63 is out of the question, MBFinance want a whopping £813 pcm to extend the contract for two months, so unless I get myself a runabout in the meantime, it will be a bit of a problem to order a car that has a significant lead time. What a shame.

Return the C. Driver the 928 until the new C arrives. Repeat?

Take the deal on the E350 7G, by the time that lease is up the new C63 is back in the game or probably a New E class.

Drivethedeal are offering good discounts on the 9G

Will you be happy with a standard one for the next 2 years? If not get the lease company to see what they can source immediately and see if there are some with more options that you would like etc.

I realise it's no longer an option for you, but when I ordered in June I considered waiting for a 9G box. When you consider that most of the reason for more ratios is increasing economy, I decided 7 was enough and not worth the extra wait. There was no extra cost.

I have regretted doing this some 4,000 miles later. Having said that, the estate is used as the general run around, some Im hardly ever using the paddles.

Cheers Steve

Thanks for your replies, it seems like I may have been a bit hasty on ruling out the 9G as MB finance have responded to my complaint that their riddiculous offer of £813 pcm to extend the C63 is going to put the brakes on my E350 order by leaving me a message stating that they are willing to discuss and come up with a better offer. Apparently the person putting the quote together didnt realise I was ordering another MB. I'll talk to them tomorrow to discuss. Some of the really good 9G deals are not via MB finance, do you think that will affect their decision to give me a cheaper extension or is it enough of an incentive that I'm staying with MB?

Steve, why do you now regret the decision? Anything specific or is it just the knowledge that theres a "better/newer" model out there?

I originally was ordering my 9g through Drive the deal as the discount was nearly £9k. My local dealer matched it. I know that they will do this again as they would rather sell cars with less profit than loose a sale to another dealer. Is this what your thinking of doing.
I don't think there are any 9g e350's in the country yet. Mine arrives in 3 weeks.
Cheers
Steve

Steve, why do you now regret the decision? Anything specific or is it just the knowledge that theres a "better/newer" model out there?

Sorry, posting while doing other things - it's missing the important word 'not' before regretted. ;)

If you come up with a good deal on extending the current lease and a good price on the 9G in the spec you want, I think you should go for it. If it doesn't work buy an in stock 7G as it's still a very good car, even with 2 cogs less! ;)

Cheers

Update -As long as I can give them an order number MB finance will extend my lease on the same monthly payments as my current contract. Some of the headline grabbing deals on 7G seem to mysteriously disapear when I make an actual enquiry, so the gap between them numbers wise is less than I originally thought. I could well take the plunge and go for the prem plus 9g especially since it means a few more weeks of C63 pleasure :)

Please be aware that there is quite a long lead time at the moment for the new 9 speed E350s. I ordered mine at the end of September and have just been told that the delivery will now probably be February. I was originally told it would be December:(.

I have said that if it is Mid to late Feb then delay until 1 March to get the new registration.

Steve

Update -As long as I can give them an order number MB finance will extend my lease on the same monthly payments as my current contract. Some of the headline grabbing deals on 7G seem to mysteriously disapear when I make an actual enquiry, so the gap between them numbers wise is less than I originally thought. I could well take the plunge and go for the prem plus 9g especially since it means a few more weeks of C63 pleasure :)

I ordered mine 21/08 and have been told today it's built and have a chassis number.
I told her about you looking at ordering and she said to give her a call
Merc Hull Vicki Potters 01482 627788
Mention my name and she will know what we spoke about.
She is brilliant and couldn't so enough for me. As it's the end of the quarter there is a very good deal at the moment.

Stephen Wilson

E280wilson said:
I ordered mine 21/08 and have been told today it's built and have a chassis number. I told her about you looking at ordering and she said to give her a call Merc Hull Vicki Potters 01482 627788 Mention my name and she will know what we spoke about. She is brilliant and couldn't so enough for me. As it's the end of the quarter there is a very good deal at the moment. Stephen Wilson
Vicki is sorting my deal too and has been very helpful

is vicki providing even better prices than drivethedeal?

I spoke to her yesterday, she is going to put some numbers together. She seemed very helpful, thanks for the recommendation.

Hi everyone, new to MBClub. Ordered my E350 9G sport with premium pack from Orange wheels and was contacted by Boston MB Steve Dixon got a great discount. Ordered in August delivered at the beginning of Nov. will pick it up early Dec as abroad at the moment! Went for air matrix suspension too. I asked for the star to replace the disc on the bonnet and they were happy to do so without cost. Can't wait to pick it up!

Sorry should read AirMatic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom