Time for a new Torque Wrench

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
Its one of these who polices the police questions. First thing I would be looking for would be a piece of paper with a build or test calibration certificate [ missing from that advert] to give you confidence in the accuracy of such a device? You could then use it to recalibrate any existing TWs you might have. A discusssion and two videos follow.
Anyone used a digital torque adapter? | Lotus Seven Club
Assuming these devices use some form of piezo physical distortion sensor they may hold calibration better in the long temp over a spring tensioned device?
a review
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and calibration

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I imagine that you get what you pay for in terms of calibration/accuracy

Strange as it may seem, Halfords torque wrenches get a good review via autoexpress.

Never been a great fan of low priced electronic test equipment as they are too easy to knock out of calibration, and how to you check it is still in calibration after a wee bump or after a year lying in a damp garage.

FWIW I would buy a mid priced "clicky" one as I would think it would retain its accuracy over a longer time period.

We have six torque wrenches in work , they are all calibrated using a master torque wrench every three months , the master is never used for anything else. We used to buy new ones every year as it was cheaper than getting them sent out for calibration.

K

Assuming these devices use some form of piezo physical distortion sensor they may hold calibration better in the long temp over a spring tensioned device?

I'd trust the pure mechanical version more to remain calibrated - provided it's used properly, ie, re-set to zero when not in use. Its battery will never be flat when needed either.

It depends on what you are using it for, strictly speaking if a torque wrench is being used it should be as accurate as possible, but if it is mainly being used for DIY use for wheel nuts it's probably not that critical. I have a few torque wrenches, the 'baby' one starts at 5nm and ends at 20nm..I have had it years (hasn't had much use for a while) and checked it at work the other day and it is still within spec.

Where I currently work (contract up soon...aaand...relax :)) at the start of shift certain manual torque wrenches are tested every day and signed off individually. All of the battery/electrical ones are certified and if (when in use) they fail to tighten the bolt they are designated to correctly the production software stops the production line, It can not advance until a supervisor determines what the problem is - it is rarely the torque guns...usually operator error :rolleyes: - Bottom line is I have access to very accurate test equipment to set up/test my torque wrenches but most people don't so it's a tricky one . But like I said it depends on just how accurate you need it to be ?

One thing I ALWAYS do is when I put my torque wrenches away they are set to zero or as low as they can go so as to take all the tension off the spring while in storage. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom