Time for an upgrade!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aero_Bar

Car
Mercedes CLK Class (W209)
Hi guys, hope you are all well.. Right, now lets get down to it... My W202 (1997) has been a great servant since the age of 17, but now the poor thing needs replacing! I have my heart set on a W209 CLK 220 CDI SPORT.

For me, I think it combines a beautiful sporty (AMG bodykit) look, with fairly reasonable economy for a Mercedes. I have been saving up for the best part of 3 years whilst at University, (working part time of coursre) and I am pretty much there to get it straight up. My budget is about 9000-10500. For this, I should be able to get a 2007 with about 70,000, give or take a year or two/ a few thousand miles.

The reason for this thread was to gather people's opinion on this particular car, past experiences, advice etc..? With regards to options, full leather seats are a must, Heated seats/Sat Nav/Parking sensors are highly desirable. Harmon Kardon/Electric Seats and Xenons would be amazing however! :bannana:

Hi guys, hope you are all well.. Right, now lets get down to it... My W202 (1997) has been a great servant since the age of 17, but now the poor thing needs replacing! I have my heart set on a W209 CLK 220 CDI SPORT.

For me, I think it combines a beautiful sporty (AMG bodykit) look, with fairly reasonable economy for a Mercedes. I have been saving up for the best part of 3 years whilst at University, (working part time of coursre) and I am pretty much there to get it straight up. My budget is about 9000-10500. For this, I should be able to get a 2007 with about 70,000, give or take a year or two/ a few thousand miles.

The reason for this thread was to gather people's opinion on this particular car, past experiences, advice etc..? With regards to options, full leather seats are a must, Heated seats/Sat Nav/Parking sensors are highly desirable. Harmon Kardon/Electric Seats and Xenons would be amazing however! :bannana:

If you want a CLK why not go for the 55 AMG (208)? You'd get alot more car for the money and mod cons, like xenons, sat nav (Comand), heated seats, possibly telephone.

Im 22 years old, so I dont fancy the insurance quote, never mind the economy!!

Go take a test drive in one and see if you like the amount of power it has. I don't think it would be powerful enough for my tastes but might be just what you want.

Looks wise, I love them. Great looking cars and a good road presence.

I'm sure there's plenty about so make sure you have a good look at several before you hand over your hard earned cash.

Last edited:
What about a 320cdi? Would there be much in it insurance wise between that and a C220 cdi?

This looks nice, no mileage listed so probably lunar.

2007 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK 320 CDI SPORT 2DR TIP AUTO FULL AMG PACK+FULL LTHR

DO NOT, I say again DO NOT buy anything or even waste your time visiting Keighly sports and performance. Do a quick google and you'll see why. Bunch of ripoff cowboys that strangely go bust overnight then set up again on the same premises.

Oh yea, remember something about them selling dodgy vehicles, there was a discussion on a few forums about this. Someone lost their money after buying a car off them as it turned out to be a lemon.

Can a mod delete the link in my above post as the edit button has vanished.

Thanks

Daz

Go take a test drive in one and see if you like the amount of power it has. I don't think it would be powerful enough for my tastes but might be just what you want.

Looks wise, I love them. Great looking cars and a good road presence.

I'm sure there's plenty about so make sure you have a good look at several before you hand over your hard earned cash.

I have driven one, admittedly it doesnt push you right against your seat when you give it some, but I will get it remapped. That should take it from 150BHP to roughly 180/185BHP.

And yes I agree, I think they look stunning. The AMG pack really does make the world of difference. I will do! Thanks :)

I have infact seen one that I think I will go for! Would like to gather your opinions on it, the mileage is higher than what I would have liked, but it does have most of the things I would like:

2007 MERCEDES-BENZ CLK 220 CDi Sport 2dr Tip Auto Diesel Coupe

So what do you guys think..?

Nice car and a good specification but I think that the price is high.

These cars would have a relatively limited market as they do not suit a family plus we are coming up to the time of Christmas / New Year when car sales traditionally slacken off.

If you do not ask................................ :)

I have a beautiful 2004 CLK 2.7 CDI and love it although I would now go for a 3.0 V6 diesel as the engine is more refined, but check out your insurance which could be your deciding factor.
I think the W209`s styling is spot on and it looks just right.

Good luck, Reggie

Ok have an update guys, managed to agree a price of £9k for the car I posted above, subject to viewing of course.. Do you think Iv got a good deal there..?

Hi,

Make sure you give it a good look over, the description says "unmarked alloys" but I can see a distinct mark at 2 o'clock in the wheel photo. I've wasted too many hours of my life driving to look at misdescribed cars..

Those alloys, by the way, are the same ones that I have on my SLK. Nice to look at but possibly a bit big.. they may not do anything for the ride. Also, it states 4 new tyres which is good, but check out what brand they are.. if a dealer has put 4 new boots on they are unlikely to be premium - it's possible to spend nearly £1K on a set of tyres. Does this point to the previous owner running them down to the canvas? If so they may well have skimped on other maintenance.

Sorry to play devil's advocate but just trying to make you think. It's easy to get wrapped up in the excitement of buying a new car.. remember it's your hard earned money! Good luck..

Cheers,

Gaz

Although you may have agreed a price over the phone you can still haggle when you see the car in the flesh, don`t let your head rule your heart if this is the first CLK you have viewed. Find something as a bargaining tool, and if you can`t find fault in the motor its a buyers market with the economic market as it is, and offer a cheeky amount and then meet in the middle.

THIS WILL save you money, Reggie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom