Time for MB A service! Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MancRick101

Car
E220, 2016
Hi guys, I have owned the car 11 months, it had a B service 11 months ago. I’m very obsessive with maintenance, changing the oil every 4-5k, so after 4-5k (approx 6 months) I carried out an interim oil and filter change - my plan is to let MB service the car annually and for me to carry out an interim oil / filter change in between.

When I changed the oil, I used MB oil 229.52 spec. I want the same oil to be used, ie not 229.51 which I believe is also sometimes used.

Will it make any difference if I specify for 229.52 to be used? I would happily provide my own oil with an indie, but feel that this would be frowned upon by a main dealer.

I know the differences are minuscule, but I would prefer the newer, ‘proper’ grade of oil to be used, plus the fact I will be using it for interim changes.

I’m hoping I’ve nothing to worry about and that they will use 229.52 anyway?

Tia.

I supply my own oil bought from MB Newcastle and MB Lincoln have never moaned about it you just pay labour costs

But you are wasting your time and money! Oil is expensive and polluting. Use it to its service limit. You gain nothing by changing it early. There are loads of threads discussing this on here.

I do the same, modern cars put a lot of pressure on their oil, changing it regularly is a VERY good thing. Extended service life was marketing scam by the manufacturers to reduce overall running costs to fleet buyers. Its best to do the interim service if you plan on keeping the car like you do. It will ensure a good service life of your car. In answer to your question, I do not think you will see any ill effects in using the MB grades you have referred to. I buy my oil direct from MB as its very reasonably priced. I also always use genuine filters or MANN filters. Nothing else.

.52 is only a, slight improvement in fuel economy .

Hengst and Bosch oil filters are better built than Mann .

Waste of £, stick to the recommended service intervals.

Once you have dropped the car off, god knows what they put in even if you supply/ask them to do what you want.
As you already do your own oil change can you not tell them not to change the oil, then do it yourself, knowing what's going in. It then begs the question what else to they do in the service. Keep all your oil receipts for the future in case you want to sell it.
I had an Ftype Jag which only did about 150miles/year, but main dealer serviced every year. I often wondered if they actually changed the oil;)

I've just changed the oil and filter in my E280 cdi.
On the oil container it says MB 229.51 / 229.52.
I used a Bosch oil filter.
The car doesn't have a dpf, but I bought the car from Mercland around 8 years ago and they recommended 229.51.
These days I do rather less than 10,000 miles a year (most of it long runs) and change the oil and filter annually.
When I was doing around 20,000 miles a year, I changed oil every 6 months.
Don't be too precious about it !
;)

definitely NOT a waste of £ if you plan to keep the car, maintenance is everything.
I agree. A waste of what, £50/60 and an hour of enjoyment? Come on. This has been discussed to death and some people prefer to stick to the manufacturer’s schedule whilst others like to service every 6m / 5k miles. It depends on the type of driving and the conditions as to whether it is beneficial or not.

What do you think the lifetime of a car is if you stick to the schedule? Car will be scrapped/legislated off the road before anything oil related wears out. Changing it early is an unnecessary waste of oil.
If you don't drive like a loon you can extend the schedule. Oil quality sensors were introduced to give an indication of when the oil needed changing. This just resulted in a reduction of servicing needs and a reduction in revenue. Hence we go back to the completely arbitrary annual service. Why change at 12 months? Does oil miraculously suddenly wear out after a year?

Very true comment above......mostly its the case these days that the cars fall apart around the engine than engine failure or excess wear causes the car to be scrapped......or, as is getting far more common these days, the electronic or ECUs fail and cant be repaired of replaced rendering the car worthless/useless. My DD has 165,000 miles on and just gets its annual (about 10k miles for me) oil change. and usually with the cheapest oil that meets the makers grade and specs....when I took the sump off recently to replace the oil pump seal I could still see the cross hatch marks on the bores!
So I'm with the lot that say changing the oil more frequently on a modern engine gives no real advantage....well accept to the people making/selling the oil!!

If I was running an old classic that I wanted to pamper and keep forever, then I might spend more on oil changes - especially if I only used it occasionally
As it is, I have one work-horse (the E280 cdi) and that's how I treat it .
I feed it and groom it, as it requires.
I certainly don't spend time and money on unnecessary oil changes, filter changes, etc.
Mrs. J runs the W203 Kompressor .... That's more a fun car ... Even that, I don't service it more than the spec requires.

Very true comment above......mostly its the case these days that the cars fall apart around the engine than engine failure or excess wear causes the car to be scrapped......or, as is getting far more common these days, the electronic or ECUs fail and cant be repaired of replaced rendering the car worthless/useless. My DD has 165,000 miles on and just gets its annual (about 10k miles for me) oil change. and usually with the cheapest oil that meets the makers grade and specs....when I took the sump off recently to replace the oil pump seal I could still see the cross hatch marks on the bores!
So I'm with the lot that say changing the oil more frequently on a modern engine gives no real advantage....well accept to the people making/selling the oil!!
Very sensible post, I also changed the wifes old Peugeot head gasket couple of years ago, the car was a 2003 model 206, used by an old lady for just stop start local shopping. When I removed the head it was like new inside, she had it serviced every year, but because it was local short cold trips you are expecting condensation, petrol thinned oil and all the other problems associated, but at around 17 years old the engine was perfect, the underside though looked like the Mary Rose.
If some people dont trust the MB synthetic oil or MB intervals, have your oil analysed after 4,000 miles and see it has deteriorated. If your racing every weekend then maybe change it, but like me it is mollycoddled and the engine never exceeds 2500 rpm, its a waste.

I hear and agree with every well reasoned argument but I’m still going to change my oil more often . I just like doing it :) . We’ve all got issues .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom