Time i upgraded my TV...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash59fifty-uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C204 C63, VW Transporter
So, I'm on the lookout for a new telly.

Not up to date with TV's of late, this old 40" Samsung HD has seen better days but it's been reliable as it's also my PC monitor, and I do Graphic design as a sideline

I'm after something somewhat fancy, preferably that links to the Internet either by wifi or Ethernet cable (wifi preferred, less home link plugs!)

Also wouldn't mind a curved one, 50 inch+, has to be HD, and ideally with a VGA input as stated earlier, need to link to PC. I could run HDMI from my up-rated graphics card but last time I done that, photoshop really didn't look right (colour wise) :confused: Do they still come with VGA input on TV's now?

What's the rage these days, what have people got?

Budget I'll set at 1k, but willing to go a few hundred above. Also I love my gaming, (Xbox One) if that's worth mentioning :thumb:

I wouldn't be without a smart TV now, really make use of the likes of iPlayer and casting you tube videos from my phone.

I suggest you find one with sound quality that you can live with these flat screen TV's have poor sound or make sure it has optical sound out then you can buy a sound bar which will sort the sound out,I have a smart TV but never use the smart bit because I am not very smart.

I've just bought a Samsung 48" curved 4k smart TV. As said sound on all modern TV's is carp but mine runs through a Cambridge audio home theatre system, Smart TV definitely the way to go.

Thanks for the advice peeps, sound isn't an issue I have an array of sound devices, KRK Rokit 8's (not suitable for home audio but hey, it's fun!) subwoofers and a sound bar, various surround speakers etc to use as I please

Just browsing on Amazon and came across this, it's for sale at £1069 elsewhere but I'd rather buy from a shop and bring it home in person, thoughts? ~

Samsung 55" Ultra HD 4K Smart Curved Screen LED TV https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WGTWEUM/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

No designers/gamers on here?

Last edited:
flango said:
I've just bought a Samsung 48" curved 4k smart TV. As said sound on all modern TV's is carp but mine runs through a Cambridge audio home theatre system, Smart TV definitely the way to go.

What inputs does it feature on the rear, Is there a VGA?

How close is your sound system to your TV?

In our den who have the amp below the TV and speakers each side, our old TV had the appropriate outputs to connect to the amp, couldn't get better quality (loud) sound for music.

Current TV doesn't have the same inputs, bah!

What inputs does it feature on the rear, Is there a VGA?

4 x HDMI
4 x USB
Component phono & video
LAN
3.5mm headphone output
optical audio output

No VGA but no need TV connected to internet and if I want to connect to my laptop just use HDMI

Hope that helps

lewyboy said:
How close is your sound system to your TV? In our den who have the amp below the TV and speakers each side, our old TV had the appropriate outputs to connect to the amp, couldn't get better quality (loud) sound for music. Current TV doesn't have the same inputs, bah!

image-3715030577.jpg

My monitors are either side, bog standard normal 'pc' speakers either side with an external soundcard running most of it, sub and another amp below my printer, some surround sound speakers dotted around the bedroom. Roughly a 36sqm room area.

After moving out and having my own living room or spare room to utilise, I'll be connecting the soundbar up and upgrading other speakers to suit

flango said:
4 x HDMI 4 x USB Component phono & video LAN 3.5mm headphone output optical audio output No VGA but no need TV connected to internet and if I want to connect to my laptop just use HDMI Hope that helps

Thanks, that sounds decent. I need to look more into the Photoshop issue via HDMI from the graphics card, I didn't try using any adapters at the time and just stuck with the VGA input.

I'd hate to get a new flashy tv home, go to design something and the colours are never right for the print result :fail: and be stuck with having to use two screens in the same room!

View attachment 53797

My monitors are either side, bog standard normal 'pc' speakers either side with an external soundcard running most of it, sub and another amp below my printer, some surround sound speakers dotted around the bedroom. Roughly a 36sqm room area.

After moving out and having my own living room or spare room to utilise, I'll be connecting the soundbar up and upgrading other speakers to suit

Yeah, that should do it. :D

grober said:
In fact, the curve cons tend to outweigh the pros routinely with any curved TV smaller than 65 inches in size.

Interesting article that. I was hoping the fact me suffering from Keratoconus in my eyes having a curved TV might help in a stupidly funky way!

Curved idea scrapped. Pros are very minimal, if that.

The gadget show on channel 5 did a comparison between 3 Samsung TVs last week, HD, 4K and 4K curved. A few different types of test and the general consensus was the flat 4K had the better picture

I'd hate to get a new flashy tv home, go to design something and the colours are never right for the print result :fail: and be stuck with having to use two screens in the same room!

Don't forget you can edit or load color profiles into PS, so with a bit fiddling you should get close enough. But that's assuming the TV you choose has a wide enough gamut in the first place.

Some useful info here if you haven't seen it already: Ultra HD 4K TV color, part II: The (near) future

We currently use twin 27" Cinema Displays for our Macs and I'd be interested to know how you get on with this. Please keep us updated.

Thx, Chris

Patagonian said:
Don't forget you can edit or load color profiles into PS, so with a bit fiddling you should get close enough

Ah you may understand what I was talking about, basically the difference between RGB and CMYK (this is the only way I can explain what I was experiencing)-

for example I'll design a flyer for a client/event promoter, and I'll send him/her two versions... One in an RGB format for web use, let's say Facebook. The other version CMYK for print use. Now, if they were to upload the print versions onto Facebook and not RGB, much to my annoyance, obviously the colour profile goes out of whack and purples turn to a near-neon purple, blues turn a cyan colour etc.

When I built my PC and tried the new gfx card with the TV via hdmi and loaded up PS, the colours in the swatches did pretty much the same as I explained above, changed colour. I couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot it at the time and didn't really 'need' to use it with hdmi, so I was happy continuing with VGA as normal

Just hoping with a new telly, I can eradicate this happening if there's no VGA :thumb:

Last edited:
Don't forget you can edit or load color profiles into PS

This should have the same effect in here to show you what I mean, versions of an old designs of mine. The intentions post-printing are to be no different to how you view them in RGB, same colour as how they are when designed. Only when we view a file with a CMYK profile on here, that's just how the colours look, but they don't come out printed like that thankfully...

How the colours change is how they turned within PS, imagine designing like that :wallbash: ~

RGB version

CMYK version

RGB

CMYK

RGB

CMYK

Last edited:
Wow tv's are getting like mobile phones what happened to the good old days when you just watched tv!
I have a Sony 50" smart tv and when i put my glasses on it turns into 4k wicked!:D

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom