Time to buy GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasha

Car
ML63 - 2009
I have read a number of posts on the subject and it is clear that this forum favours the Road Angel.

The question I have before I take the plunge, is how does the database get updated?

I suspect it takes a few weeks for a fixed camera to get updated in the database which is probably reasonable, but what about mobile or temporary cameras?

Has anyone had any experience of the database not being updated with a new camera?

Do users register new cameras as they pass them?

I guess no system will be foolproof and the introduction of average speed cameras suggests that speeding (safe or not) is all but over as they become widespread..?

Any help appreciated

Sashaaaa

I believe that blackspot have several ways of updating the database - Jimmy will be able to confirm better as he has close dealings with the company and sells the product.

I hear that they go to the extent of using a helicopter to monitor new camera sites / installations as well as other available databases for accident blackspots etc.

Personally, in the few months that I have had the RA, it has never failed to notify me about a camera site, and has even notified me of some which are not in place yet . . . the white markings tend to go down on the road before the cameras are installed generally, it seems.

Jimmy - I'm sure you can provide a more comprehensive answer.

The other good thing about blackspot, is that after the first 12 months of unlimited updates, which are free, you pay just £99 for a lifetime subscription - unlike other companies who have a yearly charge.

Hope that helps.

S.

I believe the Road Angel database is the most comprehensive and up-to-date that there is.

Last week we had the new A6 Desborough - Rothwell by pass opened to traffic, I travelled along the new stretch of road the day it was opened and the Road Angel warned me of a camera and accident blackspot, it must have been added to the last update. :p

Road Angel have a dedicated team who scout around looking for new sites, they get this information from the council, police and local authorities. Planning permission has to be granted for every speed camera so the information is readily available. They also have contacts within the police and local authorities. The database is what makes Road Angel the best..........in my opinion!

If you do happen to pass a camera and the unit does not warn you (never happened to me) you can store the location and get a reward if you are the first to notify them. I have had several warnings where there has been no obvious camera but there are markings on the road, Road Angel say these are temporary camera sites that are used frequently.

I am biased but I think the Road Angel is brilliant!:bannana:

Jimmy,

How much do you sell the Road Angel for?

Thx

Sasha

Sasha,

You have (several) PM messages from me that are unread!

Sasha........................ trust me your investment will be the best one you make this year if you get a road angel. I got one and have NEVER regretted it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom