Time to move on...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
I joined this Forum on the 8th November 2007 - nearly ten year ago... In my time I have posted 4,677 times - I'm told averaging 1.39 posts per day.

I came to the forum looking for practical advice. Which indeed is what I got from friendly knowledgeable folks.

Since that time many of the members have become friends - some in the virtual world and some in the more real world sense.

Going back ten years this forum had a wealth of experience in Mercedes. Owners who needed advice got just that - proper advice. That's why it became so successful over time.

Over the more recent years however this has changed. The experts have moved or been moved on (some of them were hard to handle!), and been replaced by new Mercedes owners. It's sad to say that the new owners do not have the same enthusiasm for the marque. It's arguable whether that's to do with the cars becoming more common place, and more dumbed down, or the short term temporary ownership that many of us (myself includes) take advantage of nowadays.

I then look at what's gone on this weekend. There is no right or wrong - all sides have played a part - yet members seem to be able to inflame others without any action from the admin team.

I will look back on my time fondly - especially some of the Saturday afternoon hilarity of the past. Sadly I do think now is the time for me to leave.

So - I wish all the best to you good folks. Feel free to look me up on Facebook or not - as you wish.

All the best.

David

It unfortunate that you feel the need to move on because of the reasons stated. It sounds like a conscious decision, rather than just naturally not visiting the site so often and then drifting away.

I've not been here long myself, and I'm trying hard to work out who's who so to speak, but it's a shame to see anyone leave....

Friday I was at a funeral / wake all day, late that night I drove to the airport to pick up family members from the airport. All this weekend I am away in the country as it's my mother's 70th, we are having a large family gathering.

In the early hours of the morning I was trying to sort out the forum grief from accusations made by a long standing member about others, whom I might ask as ignored me so far. Together with the sad little man who was joining the forum repeately after being banned, spam emailing me, friend requesting me on FB etc etc.

I don't need to explain myself, We don't get paid to look after this place, nor does anyone pay a penny/charge for its upkeep and we have busy lives off the site.

To say there is no action for the admin team pisses me off somewhat. So leave if you must, I'm sorry if the admin team have inconvenienced you.

Last edited:
Well said Karl.

It's a thankless task, but one which somehow some members believe renders you less of a member and thus "you shouldn't be allowed" to express an opinion.

As I said elsewhere, people come, people go...but the forum expands...'nuff said.

KillerHERTZ said:
Friday I was at a funeral / wake all day, late that night I drove to the airport to pick up family members from the airport. All this weekend I am away in the country as it's my mother's 70th, we are having a large family gathering. In the early hours of the morning I was trying to sort out the forum grief from accusations made by a long standing member about others, whom I might ask as ignored me so far. Together with the sad little man who was joining the forum repeately after being banned, spam emailing me, friend requesting me on FB etc etc. I don't need to explain myself, We don't get paid to look after this place, nor does anyone pay a penny/charge for its upkeep and we have busy lives off the site. To say there is no action for the admin team pisses me off somewhat. So leave if you must, I'm sorry if the admin team have inconvenienced you.

This isn't the main point he is getting at. I've noticed it, I've asked for help on technical issues as have others and these days there's no help, because not many members actually know what issues there are, they take it for warranty repairs and that's it, which is fine but the wealth of knowledge has disappeared!

There's always been arguing but over the last year it's been sad. In all honesty, it's a car forum, why we need political debates turning nasty is beyond me. Leave that s**t for Facebook, there's plenty of jobless wannabe politicians on there to argue with.

Bring back some motoring and technical knowledge! Stuff the rest of it!

Being ex army and seeing some of you argue and offer fights in real life, I literally feel embarrassed to think that is what grown men have come to! grow the **** up gents!

Karl.

I'm sorry you feel ****** off. Generally I think you all do a great job, and yes it's your playground.

I'm going to replace my reply with the below as it said it better..

This isn't the main point he is getting at. I've noticed it, I've asked for help on technical issues as have others and these days there's no help, because not many members actually know what issues there are, they take it for warranty repairs and that's it, which is fine but the wealth of knowledge has disappeared!

There's always been arguing but over the last year it's been sad. In all honesty, it's a car forum, why we need political debates turning nasty is beyond me. Leave that s**t for Facebook, there's plenty of jobless wannabe politicians on there to argue with.

Bring back some motoring and technical knowledge! Stuff the rest of it!

Being ex army and seeing some of you argue and offer fights in real life, I literally feel embarrassed to think that is what grown men have come to! grow the **** up gents!

I joined this Forum on the 8th November 2007 - nearly ten year ago... In my time I have posted 4,677 times - I'm told averaging 1.39 posts per day.

I came to the forum looking for practical advice. Which indeed is what I got from friendly knowledgeable folks.

Since that time many of the members have become friends - some in the virtual world and some in the more real world sense.

Going back ten years this forum had a wealth of experience in Mercedes. Owners who needed advice got just that - proper advice. That's why it became so successful over time.

Over the more recent years however this has changed. The experts have moved or been moved on (some of them were hard to handle!), and been replaced by new Mercedes owners. It's sad to say that the new owners do not have the same enthusiasm for the marque. It's arguable whether that's to do with the cars becoming more common place, and more dumbed down, or the short term temporary ownership that many of us (myself includes) take advantage of nowadays.

I then look at what's gone on this weekend. There is no right or wrong - all sides have played a part - yet members seem to be able to inflame others without any action from the admin team.

I will look back on my time fondly - especially some of the Saturday afternoon hilarity of the past. Sadly I do think now is the time for me to leave.

So - I wish all the best to you good folks. Feel free to look me up on Facebook or not - as you wish.

All the best.

David

David, you have helped me out a couple of times, for which I'm grateful, even though we may not have the same views on how things have developed on here.

But that's not the point of my post - my point is (and it's absolutely not directed at you, honest) - it's a forum, and nobody really cares who comes and goes :crazy:.

It's just ripples on the pond for a second or two, and then the forum carries on as before, except you're no longer a part of it :(.

Stick around.

Long gone. Just like that:D

Is Tommy Cooper a moderator? :D

I must admit - I don't take this forum seriously at all. I just see it as light entertainment interspersed with light-hearted chat about cars.

Some threads get out of hand but you can see them coming like a 777 and I don't get involved these days like I once did - normally because I suspect some sauce or whatever is probably linked in some way and some people will never see sense... and, more importantly, I couldn't care less what certain people think.

You get to learn who to add to your ignore list and after that, there are a lot of good eggs on here and it's actually quite a chilled out place to be! :thumb:

All the best though if you do decide to go.

Long gone. Just like that:D

Yes I noticed that too. Shame as I didn't get to respond to a claim made against me.

@OP

For the 10 years you have been here, don't let the actions of a weekend spoil it. As Developer said, stick around.

Missed all this, again.

Don't worry about it. Your job here is to keep us informed on the M3 and the lunatic car! :thumb: Which by the way you seem to be slacking..;)

We come on, have a laugh, be a bit perverse , enjoy our cars and that's what it should be. If you remember the 600psi episode, it's exactly what I'm talking about.

No need to leave, just laugh at some on the lunacy that comes on. An example;

" I suffer wheelspin in bad weather with my E63" , effing priceless.

What gets up my nose (and not just on here) is the poster who asks for info/help about some damned thing or other, gets one or more replies, then nothing from the OP - no thanks, comments, reports of success, just nothing. Manners seem to be a thing of the past for some people these days!

OK, so I'm a grumpy old git, I'm an OAP, I'm entitled to be one!!

In the fluff and bubbles of the forum I would always make a point of reading certain members threads or responses to threads when their name popped up and you davidjpowell are one of them. Its been a pleasure buddy and will continue to be elsewhere. Or on here if you choose to hang about.

Another of my little foibles when I'm cruising the forum is not to read any thread that becomes more than two pages long (unless it hardcore about Mercedes cars, or an absolute hoot like we used to get in days gone by, which can always come again) as I find after two pages the subject is played out, be that subject controversial or no.

I have met great mates on this forum, been to their houses with wonderful hospitality, been to GTGs and Supper Clubs, Breakfast Clubs, all manner of social activities. Bought cars off them, sold cars to them. Received great help in running my 124s. I have had forum members act as tour guides in diverse places such as Windsor Castle and the very Wilds of Scotland. And as the advert says - You don't get that anywhere else.

Better bugger off now before this thread becomes two pages long.

In the fluff and bubbles of the forum I would always make a point of reading certain members threads or responses to threads when their name popped up and you davidjpowell are one of them. Its been a pleasure buddy and will continue to be elsewhere. Or on here if you choose to hang about.

Another of my little foibles when I'm cruising the forum is not to read any thread that becomes more than two pages long (unless it hardcore about Mercedes cars, or an absolute hoot like we used to get in days gone by, which can always come again) as I find after two pages the subject is played out, be that subject controversial or no.

I have met great mates on this forum, been to their houses with wonderful hospitality, been to GTGs and Supper Clubs, Breakfast Clubs, all manner of social activities. Bought cars off them, sold cars to them. Received great help in running my 124s. I have had forum members act as tour guides in diverse places such as Windsor Castle and the very Wilds of Scotland. And as the advert says - You don't get that anywhere else.

Better bugger off now before this thread becomes two pages long.
For goodness sakes Jonty, it's bound to grow too long if you keep rambling on like this! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom