Time to move on...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Congrats on the car :thumb: commiserations on the fault :(. As daft as it sounds, I would be checking the brake pedal switch (if there is one) as previous models I have owned it was quite a common fault when the car wouldn't engage gear.

Fingers crossed for you mate, it is something minor. Definitely bought one of the better examples out there which has had a lot of £££ spent on it getting it to such a standard, as these old beasts can swallow the £££'s.

Don't go under the car with only a jack.
Car might fall on you and you know what could happen!

Anything missing in the engine compartment?

When you turn the key you still have power?
Only bad thing with these cars they didn't have check engine light CEL in the cluster, then you'd know something is broken.
Don't touch anything until your mechanic shows up.

Your car did you insure it for transport to Malta and possible damage or theft when you had the car shipped off?
Can you make a police report and file a claim to insurance company?
They are insured for when this stuff happens for now I will see what is wrong with the car and move on from there.
Yes the car still has power and the engine runs great nothing missing that I can see. Yes I will just wait till tomorrow 🙂

I exported my old E39 to a relative, quite a few weird electrical gremlins materialised en-route. IIRC a resistor under the dash and a loose ground somewhere were to blame.

Beautiful car, it'll be worth it.

Congrats on the car :thumb: commiserations on the fault :(. As daft as it sounds, I would be checking the brake pedal switch (if there is one) as previous models I have owned it was quite a common fault when the car wouldn't engage gear.

Fingers crossed for you mate, it is something minor. Definitely bought one of the better examples out there which has had a lot of £££ spent on it getting it to such a standard, as these old beasts can swallow the £££'s.
Actually that makes sense to make as today I started the car the ABS & ASR light came on and after googling about it I found out it could be linked to faulty brake pedal switch if that's the case that would be great.
Yes apart from this issue I am quite happy with the car is has been well kept and it's much better than my previous one. I hope I can enjoy it soon.

I exported my old E39 to a relative, quite a few weird electrical gremlins materialised en-route. IIRC a resistor under the dash and a loose ground somewhere were to blame.

Beautiful car, it'll be worth it.
I see, good to hear it was nothing major I love e39s aswell but registration here is crazy on an m5.
Glad you like it, thanks

@Feeble
On another note was this microphone part of this wire attached below?
And do you happen to know why the rear tire valves have been taped over?

Attachments

• IMG-20200801-WA0028.jpeg
    IMG-20200801-WA0028.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • received_3333237796743619.jpeg
    received_3333237796743619.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-20200801-WA0018.jpeg
    IMG-20200801-WA0018.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Actually that makes sense to make as today I started the car the ABS & ASR light came on and after googling about it I found out it could be linked to faulty brake pedal switch if that's the case that would be great.
Yes apart from this issue I am quite happy with the car is has been well kept and it's much better than my previous one. I hope I can enjoy it soon.

When my brake light switch broke which tends to happen on and off on all w202 but has only happened once on my car until today, I never had any problems driving my car.
It never went into limp mode or had jerky shifting.
Only problem was that I didn't have any functioning nor visible brake lights

@Feeble
On another note was this microphone part of this wire attached below?
And do you happen to know why the rear tire valves have been taped over?

My guess would be the rear tyre valves has been taped over as part of a DIY spray repair to the wheel, hence it has been sprayed silver.

That microphone was part of the hands free system and was all functioning perfectly when I sold it, I have no idea why it would have been cut...

As for the tape, I would imagine it is part of a DIY repair like Abb says, and I am ashamed to say it had the tape on the valve the whole time I owned it! I kind of just forgot all about it!

I suppose it is also possible that the owner previous to me put the tape on the valve to make it look silver... A long black valve must stick out like a sore thumb on those wheels. Never had any issues with the tyres holding pressure anyway so I would imagine it is pretty safe to remove the tape!

You'll have to remove the head unit to check what size jack is on the end of that wire, but 2.5mm and 3.5mm replacement microphones are available off of ebay quite cheap. It is worth doing as that is a nice head unit in the car!

You'll have to remove the head unit to check what size jack is on the end of that wire, but 2.5mm and 3.5mm replacement microphones are available off of ebay quite cheap. It is worth doing as that is a nice head unit in the car!
I asked the previous owner about it and he doesn't seem to remember what happened to it but no big deal I will just replace it , yes the head unit is great I tried it and apart from one rear door speaker not working it's got a nice sound system.

Good news kind of lol , nothing is wrong with the gearbox one of the rear axle shafts snapped, at least nothing major now all I need is to find a replacement. Does anyone know which models had the same rear axle?

Attachments

• IMG-20200812-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20200812-WA0001.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 6
I have no idea myself mate. Hopefully someone will have the answer and you'll be back on the road in not too long! :)

Good news kind of lol , nothing is wrong with the gearbox one of the rear axle shafts snapped, at least nothing major now all I need is to find a replacement. Does anyone know which models had the same rear axle?

Looks like shaft broke when car was loaded on the semi trailer or did truck driver perhaps take the car on a joyride thrashin' it?

Yeah I bet it was carelessly moved. I’ve heard of people buying salvage cars at Copart to then find all sorts of forklift damage underneath.

If you can get hold of a part number you can cross ref to see if it fits more generic models

Today the car finally got fixed couldn't find a shaft here in Malta so ordered one from UK it's been a while since but finaly I got to enjoy it.
My mechanic is quite sure that the car was still tied to the trailer when unloading causing the shaft to snap as it was also twisted. Luckily though that was all it needed and she runs great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201022-215730_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201022-215730_Gallery.jpg
    811.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20201022-215747_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201022-215747_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Happy for you man!

How much did the shaft cost you?
Did you buy it new or used?

In a few weeks it will be time for you to tuck the car away in your garage if you don't want rust on her?

Happy for you man!

How much did the shaft cost you?
Did you buy it new or used?

In a few weeks it will be time for you to tuck the car away in your garage if you don't want rust on her?
Cheers mate,

The shaft alone cost me £50 used but I had to pay £130 shipping

Actually I'm only using it once in a while with 4hr permits as I haven't payed road tax yet, I would rather spend the money on restoring it, road tax for an Import with a big engine costs a fortune here (€1,125 yearly) so I will pay it once I restore the body. Hopefully in 9 years time I can register it as a Classic and the tax drops down to €8 yearly 😂

Good plan for road tax, in about 8 to 9 years it will be a veteran and it will probably be cheaper to drive if we still have petrol stations?

Do you have any interior pictures?

The shaft is it made for C43 AMG or the standard C-class?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom