Time to relax our draconian laws on drugs?

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like I said, the alcoholic brings his own addictive personality. The psychosis is in the person - not the bottle.
How many safely enjoy alcohol relative to those who have a problem with it?

We are talking about the addict not those who drink occasionally or in low volumes where the propensity for dependancy or addiction is very low in most cases. We all accept that the majority of people who drink do not have major problems with alcohol.

Nobody is saying that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic or will ever become one. An addictive personality is not the only cause or reason for addiction. Search the web for causes of addiction and you have a choice of more than 79,000,000 hits to look through. Please educate yourself before making simplistic comment.

I'm not so much "Live long and Prosper" as "Nano, Nano" :D
nano-nano.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
We are talking about the addict not those who drink occasionally or in low volumes where the propensity for dependancy or addiction is very low in most cases. We all accept that the majority of people who drink do not have major problems with alcohol.

You're just repeating what I have said.

Nobody is saying that everyone who drinks is an alcoholic or will ever become one. An addictive personality is not the only cause or reason for addiction. Search the web for causes of addiction and you have a choice of more than 79,000,000 hits to look through. Please educate yourself before making simplistic comment.

I'm using 'addictive personality' as a catch-all. Rather than have to itemise 79,000,000 potential causes.

You're just repeating what I have said.

I'm using 'addictive personality' as a catch-all. Rather than have to itemise 79,000,000 potential causes.

What I did was talk about the addict and causes of addiction, state the obvious that not everyone will become one, not repeating what you said.

Addictive personality as a catch-all doesn't cut it for me and that's the problem. You over-simplify addiction which is a complex issue that has many diverse causes. By using your catch-all you imply single cause and divert from the reality of the situation.

I said 79 million hits not potential causes. The 79 million indicates the amount of academic and public interest and commentary in the matter, but if you believe there are 79 miilion causes then the oversimplification is even more of a misdirection.

I am not suggesting that anything that hasn't been proven to be medically beneficial should be outlawed.

And the arguments in favour of legalising drugs - or in favour of not making alcohol and tobacco illegal - that I do find reasonable, are (a) cultural and social reasons, and (b) Libertarianism.

My point was that the argument that there are health benefits in consuming any of these substances (tobacco, alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, class-A drugs etc etc) if unfounded and unproven, and sounds to me like a lame excuse. I am sure that we have members here who will tell you that the reason they bought their AMG is safety... because it allows them to 'accelerate away from trouble'. Err... no, you bought the AMG because it's a fun car and you want to have a bit of fun in your life - nothing wrong with that, mind.

I am not suggesting that all forms of drugs are made illegal, just that we should have an honest debate about it, and not cloud the issue with biased 'information'.

(And, while I never bought an AMG myself, I am not suggesting that AMGs should be illegal either - just that they are reconsigned for what they are, fun cars, nothing else. And to anyone buying one - good on them, I say)

As for people with an illness... by all means, they should be prescribed the drugs that can help them, be it cannabis or anything else.

I am not suggesting that anything that hasn't been proven to be medically beneficial should be outlawed.

And the arguments in favour of legalising drugs - or in favour of not making alcohol and tobacco illegal - that I do find reasonable, are (a) cultural and social reasons, and (b) Libertarianism.

My point was that the argument that there are health benefits in consuming any of these substances (tobacco, alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, class-A drugs etc etc) if unfounded and unproven, and sounds to me like a lame excuse. I am sure that we have members here who will tell you that the reason they bought their AMG is safety... because it allows them to 'accelerate away from trouble'. Err... no, you bought the AMG because it's a fun car and you want to have a bit of fun in your life - nothing wrong with that, mind.

I am not suggesting that all forms of drugs are made illegal, just that we should have an honest debate about it, and not cloud the issue with biased 'information'.

(And, while I never bought an AMG myself, I am not suggesting that AMGs should be illegal either - just that they are reconsigned for what they are, fun cars, nothing else. And to anyone buying one - good on them, I say)

As for people with an illness... by all means, they should be prescribed the drugs that can help them, be it cannabis or anything else.
Good reasoning there MJ. I believe that the crux of what you say is down to defining “health benefits”. I’m sure that many would attribute the proven benefit of some forms of cannabis in the relief of pain during cancer treatment or for limiting epileptic fits as being health benefits. But I’m of the opinion that if a substance doesn’t reduce the chances of being inflicted by certain conditions, without any risk of side effects, then it doesn’t provide a health benefit.

Regarding the AMG analogy, there’s a clear health benefit there because owners rarely have any funds left to buy harmful drugs/alcohol/tobacco!

Good reasoning there MJ. I believe that the crux of what you say is down to defining “health benefits”. I’m sure that many would attribute the proven benefit of some forms of cannabis in the relief of pain during cancer treatment or for limiting epileptic fits as being health benefits. But I’m of the opinion that if a substance doesn’t reduce the chances of being inflicted by certain conditions, without any risk of side effects, then it doesn’t provide a health benefit.

Regarding the AMG analogy, there’s a clear health benefit there because owners rarely have any funds left to buy harmful drugs/alcohol/tobacco!

Do you have any personal experience of illicit drugs?

What I did was talk about the addict and causes of addiction, state the obvious that not everyone will become one, not repeating what you said.

Addictive personality as a catch-all doesn't cut it for me and that's the problem. You over-simplify addiction which is a complex issue that has many diverse causes. By using your catch-all you imply single cause and divert from the reality of the situation.

I said 79 million hits not potential causes. The 79 million indicates the amount of academic and public interest and commentary in the matter, but if you believe there are 79 miilion causes then the oversimplification is even more of a misdirection.

This is a car forum - not a medical journal.

This is a car forum - not a medical journal.

You talk about things on multiple forums and don't like being challenged over anything or accept any constructive criticism.
I've seen some of your posts on the Brexit thread, liked and agreed with some of them, but overall I find you quite sad.
You hear but don't listen, don't learn, and appear to have totally entrenched views. You might want to look up the word bigotry.

I don't know you and don't want to waste my time conversing with you anymore. As a result of this I have now blocked you and I don't think I'm the only person to do so.

You talk about things on multiple forums and don't like being challenged over anything or accept any constructive criticism.
I've seen some of your posts on the Brexit thread, liked and agreed with some of them, but overall I find you quite sad.
You hear but don't listen, don't learn, and appear to have totally entrenched views. You might want to look up the word bigotry.

I don't know you and don't want to waste my time conversing with you anymore. As a result of this I have now blocked you and I don't think I'm the only person to do so.

Think what you will of me but it's not me resorting to ad hominem in lieu of reasoned argument.

What was an interesting post has turned cold! Wowsers...
Back to the topic - free the weed!!!

Think what you will of me but it's not me resorting to ad hominem in lieu of reasoned argument.
Too late pal you are on the naughty list

What was an interesting post has turned cold! Wowsers...
Back to the topic - free the weed!!!

If that was because of me then I apologise to all contributors bar one.

Circular argument is a waste of my and everyone elses time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom