Time to say bye-bye to Mercedes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercy1

Car
It's a car - just a car!
Exit: C350 CDI Sport Estate - Tenorite Grey/Alpaca grey

Enter: Volvo XC60 SE Lux Premium D5 AWD - Black Saphire/Soft beige!

After more than eight years in Mercedes cars (before that, 12 years in Beemers), I am breaking new ground for me by trading in my C350 for an XC60...Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

It will have to be a very good car to live up to my Merc experience. Two great cars, neither of which have missed a beat and I have received superlative service from MB dealers.

I have defected because as much as I like the C350 performance wise, I find it a tad too small, especially in the back, and really quite lumpy, with its sports suspension.

I liked the idea of going back to a 4x4, but the new ML has gone even bigger and will be ridiculously expensive.

So XC60 seems to fit the bill. It's spacious, light and airy, has lovely seats, and the ride comfort is great compared to the C350 CDI. The 215 hp diesel really surprised me by its strong performance and agility. The car soaked up all the bumps on the appalling roads in my area, and it was an effortlessly smooth motorway cruiser. (I tested three models over 100 miles plus)

So, time will tell, but for the next two or three years, it's pipe and hat for me and naturally I specified the no-indicators option :D

Thanks to so many of you for your generous help, advice, wisdom and good humour you have all shown over my recent months of MB ownership!

Nice choice of car,Volvo have really come on the last few years, strong mile munchers,enjoy.

Thank god for that! I thought we'd never get rid of you...

Only joking, hope the ovlov looks after you.

Great cars,volvos. Had my v70 from new and sold it after 115000 miles. Never once let me down. Enjoy it, and I'm sure you'll still check in here from time to time.

Thank god for that! I thought we'd never get rid of you...

I didn't say I was going anywhere. It's the car that going...! :p

Welcome to the club:D

Although my fondness is tainted by the experience of changing a door lock today. Bugger it was.

Although my one is traditional sensible Volvo, the newer ones are showing some real flair in my opinion.

You will be sorry. Son in law has new XC90, like driving a truck after C and E class estates. Even the R class is better and that is aweful.

Many years ago, I bought two Volvos.......

...........The front half of a W reg Volvo, and the back half of an S reg one.

You will be sorry. Son in law has new XC90, like driving a truck after C and E class estates.

If I was daft enough to be buying an XC90, I would expect it to drive like a truck - but I'm not... :D

^ That a bit harsh?

215bhp in a smaller car will be pretty good.

I've been looking at the E220Cdi Estate with only 170bhp !!! I don't use the 250bhp or so I have now...

I happen to like the XC90 a proper 7 seater, it all depends what you want from your car? I'm sure the volvo will be nice and it will be good to hear your comparison.

I miss sat high up in my ML but not the fuel trips :)

^ That a bit harsh?

215bhp in a smaller car will be pretty good.

I've been looking at the E220Cdi Estate with only 170bhp !!! I don't use the 250bhp or so I have now...

I happen to like the XC90 a proper 7 seater, it all depends what you want from your car? I'm sure the volvo will be nice and it will be good to hear your comparison.

I miss sat high up in my ML but not the fuel trips :)

Joking aside, I agree with you. It all depends on what you need it to do. Son in law has 4 children (and no self control!) so needs space.
It is comparing apples and oranges when you look at conventional saloon based estates and upright 4x4s like the R class and the XC series. Variety is the spice of life.

XC90 = truck
XC60= underpowered truck

You really should get out more...learn from your son-in-law about cars...he clearly has a better attitude...
Is your definition of the R Class aweful, as in full of awe, or maybe you mean awesome, as in fantastic - difficult to make sense out of you? :D
Even more difficult when you chime in with...'Son in law has new XC90, like driving a truck after C and E class estates' and in the next breath say...'It is comparing apples and oranges when you look at conventional saloon based estates and upright 4x4s'
You've lost me...:dk:

Choice of vehicles aside, let's give him a break - the deal's done now.

Do they sell many XC60's? We have a Volvo dealer locally (Chester) but I don't know anyone who owns a Volvo and I just thought for a bit and can't visualise there being one in our village at all.

I'm quite set on the idea of a mid-size SUV for my next car, but the XC60 hadn't even occured to me - I do see a fair number of XC90 (and other Volvos) when out and about, but I can't recall seeing an XC60.

Maybe the local dealer is rubbish (it's Rybrook)? We do get loads of Honda CRVs kicking around, but there are two very good Honda dealers nearby.

Do they sell many XC60's? We have a Volvo dealer locally (Chester) but I don't know anyone who owns a Volvo and I just thought for a bit and can't visualise there being one in our village at all.

I'm quite set on the idea of a mid-size SUV for my next car, but the XC60 hadn't even occured to me - I do see a fair number of XC90 (and other Volvos) when out and about, but I can't recall seeing an XC60.

I've no idea how many are sold. There are good discounts to be had - just as there are right now with MBs. The XC60 has very good reviews and quite frankly is the ONLY Volvo I would consider.
I checked them out with extensive test driving and was surprised by the performance and comfort of the newly uprated model. Underpowered? No way, only a blinkered idiot would think that.
I looked at the alternatives for this type of car - ML, not out yet and ridiculously expensive, Honda CRV, new model not out until the autumn, X3, had one of those once, still very jiggly and pricey, Q5, did nothing for me, Tiguan, seemed very inferior. None of the others appealed.
I have all the toys that I had in the C350 - and more. The seats make the C350 seats feel like church chairs and the ease of entry and exit compared to the much lower C350 was just what the doctor ordered! Boot massive, so the dogs will be happy!
I know it's comparing apples and oranges, but the C350CDI parked next to this stunning black XC60 (IMHO) looked puny. I never thought I could make that sort of comment/comparison (yes I know all the Volvo jokes)!
Anyway, the dealer was great, bent over backwards to give me what I wanted (including a higher-than-Glass's trade-in and a bottle of champagne for the wife) so that was enough to convince me to give it a go.
I'm quite open-minded - if it doesn't cut the mustard it'll get the chop in a couple of years. Life will go on :dk: :dk:

Life after the Mercedes...for anyone who is interested (and apologies in advance to all who aren't :D . I do understand :dk:)

After one day's mixed driving, I'm very impressed. Lovely car with everything - and more - the Merc had, but much more comfortable for me. Same mpg allegedly, but I don't really mind.

Anyway, if this is like driving a truck, then next time I might be trading in for a Scania!!

This car has a lot to live up to after a Merc. Best wishes to all you guys who still love your cars. Hope you'll allow me to chip in occasionally on issues - your Forum is compulsive viewing!!!

Attachments

• VolvoA1.JPG
    VolvoA1.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 123
  • Volvo1.JPG
    Volvo1.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Volvo2.JPG
    Volvo2.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back