Time to swap my CLS 350 Shooting Brake for a CLS 63 Shooting Brake. Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Technoholic

Car
CLS 350 SB, TVR Tuscan
Hi all,

I've decided to sell my TVR as well as my current CLS 350 and trade in/up to a CLS 63 AMG. I've found the CLS Shooting Brake package a perfect fit for me and my family, but I need to have an AMG in my life at some point and now is the time. Wondered if there was any advice you could give me about what I should be looking for?

I'd really like to get a facelift model, whereas currently I have a pre facelift CLS, so getting the upgraded interior, headlights etc is appealing. Are all the facelift models AMG S spec? I haven't seen any that aren't but it might just be because there are few for sale anyway. If not, is the S worth waiting for? I believe the S is 4matic and more powerful, which is a good thing, is that right?

I know the CLS well but anything I should be looking out for specifically on the AMG?

The main problem is going to be budget, a few months ago when I looked there were a number of facelift AMG S's for just north of mid 20s, now it seems that's not the case. Depending on how much I sell my TVR for and what I realistically get for my current CLS, my max budget will likely be £30k or possibly 1-2k less. Of the 3 on Autotrader right now, 2 or dealer sales and too new to be cheap enough, and other seems overpriced IMO.

Bit of a ramble but any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I suppose I should add, would anyone in this position consider an E63 over the CLS 63? and why or why not?

I was on the look out for the CLS63 but in the end went for an E63. For me, it came down to finding an E63 with the spec that I wanted and from the main dealer which included 2 years warranty. They're both lovely cars and both have their charms.

CLS face-lift is stunning but marmite for some. CLS is a rare beast and stands out. The E63 dissapears into the crowd. Hence a few gumballers have used them recently.

My personal choice would be a CLS face-lift if it was a 2nd car but an E63 if it was a family wagon. Luggage and overall space feels bigger in the E.

CLS face-lift is stunning but marmite for some. CLS is a rare beast and stands out. The E63 dissapears into the crowd. Hence a few gumballers have used them recently.

My personal choice would be a CLS face-lift if it was a 2nd car but an E63 if it was a family wagon. Luggage and overall space feels bigger in the E.

I love the CLS SB, much more than the E Class but that's just me. Agree that overall space feels bigger in the E Class, but I've not had the issue of not having enough space in the CLS so as a family car I think it would be ok.
Plus looking at it, I don't think I'd get the S spec in the E Class in my budget. I can't even find ANY used E63s in my budget from MB direct which I would have probably expected anyway, much less any CLS which do seem to be rare as hens teeth, especially in SB form.

I was on the look out for the CLS63 but in the end went for an E63. For me, it came down to finding an E63 with the spec that I wanted and from the main dealer which included 2 years warranty. They're both lovely cars and both have their charms.

Agree that spec will come into play. My current CLS is very well specced, pretty much has everything with the exception of Keyless Go which I do want next. I would give up the cooled seats for Keyless Go.

I would agree that the CLS is a slightly more up market experience than an E Class equivalent. CLS63s SB is indeed a rare and not really sought after car, and recent events seemed to have pushed up demand, and of course prices.

E63s Estates are just as rare.

I would agree that the CLS is a slightly more up market experience than an E Class equivalent. CLS63s SB is indeed a rare and not really sought after car, and recent events seemed to have pushed up demand, and of course prices.

E63s Estates are just as rare.
Indeed, I think I'm going to have to be patient, which when it comes to cars I'm never patient!

Am I right in thinking that the facelift CLS SB only came in 63s form rather than standard 63?

The previous generations of CLS have never been 4matic in the UK because the front driveshafts don't work with the RHD layout, same with the E63 212.

ok thanks interesting and good to know. I did wonder why I couldn't find any reference to 4matic on any of the VINs I've looked at!

But I think I'm right in saying there were no facelift non S models, can someone confirm?

Facelift CLS63’s are all S’s in the UK, and all rear-wheel drive. There was one for £30k for sale on Auto Trader but it’s just gone by the looks of it. The other two on there are much more expensive but are virtually brand new, mileage and condition-wise.

They are seriously tempting when they come up - which isn’t often.

Facelift CLS63’s are all S’s in the UK, and all rear-wheel drive. There was one for £30k for sale on Auto Trader but it’s just gone by the looks of it. The other two on there are much more expensive but are virtually brand new, mileage and condition-wise.

They are seriously tempting when they come up - which isn’t often.
Yes I had that 30k one saved in my searches but haven't managed to sell the TVR in time so it wasn't doable. There is a Diamond White one for 35k currently, 65 plate, has most of what I'm looking for, and is seriously tempting but without the TVR cash in hand, I can't commit to anything right now. Not normally a fan of white cars but the Diamond White does look nice on that shape

Yes I was trying to get the old man to buy the one at £35k. Lovely car.

Interesting re the keyless go. I asked BMW to deactive the X5s as its a major security flaw. And I would kill for cooling seats on that. Black on black....+ covid added puppy fat =. 😓😓😓😓

Yes I was trying to get the old man to buy the one at £35k. Lovely car.

Interesting re the keyless go. I asked BMW to deactive the X5s as its a major security flaw. And I would kill for cooling seats on that. Black on black....+ covid added puppy fat =. 😓😓😓😓
I know it can be a security issue but I really miss it since I’ve not had it, just have to be careful with the key at home.
As for the cooling seats, it’s not that I don’t like them, and would have them if I could have it all, it’s just I haven’t found the ones in my current CLS very effective really. Unless they’re not doing what they’re supposed to

Possibly, the ones in the XFR are icey cold.....

Possibly, the ones in the XFR are icey cold.....
Really? I can hear them working louder than I can feel it when they’re on. Maybe I should look into that.

A quick search turns up the fact that the ventilated seats in the CLS are nothing like true cooled seats which are actually air conditioned. Ventilated seats merely draw air through the seat and out the back. So it seems to be doing the job it’s meant to

Yeah the Jag has some sort of reverse polarity heating cooling effect. Work really well.

Had ours for 2 years now and still have the Autotrader alert set up, get very few hits coming through so they definitely don't come up often! People say the E63 estate is bigger and faster and cheaper so why get the CLS, but I just love the look of it, some people hate it.

Yes ventilated seats are next to useless!

Had ours for 2 years now and still have the Autotrader alert set up, get very few hits coming through so they definitely don't come up often! People say the E63 estate is bigger and faster and cheaper so why get the CLS, but I just love the look of it, some people hate it.

Yes ventilated seats are next to useless!
Which do you have, the facelift S? I know some people hate it, not sure why but for me it's gorgeous, offers maybe 90% of the practicality of the E in SB form and feels more premium. But for anyone who wants an AMG, I think this generation of E or CLS might be the perfect cars, would like the tech to be slightly more modern but that's nitpicking, been very happy with my Carplay box and that does all I want.

PS. Want to sell?!

Which do you have, the facelift S? I know some people hate it, not sure why but for me it's gorgeous, offers maybe 90% of the practicality of the E in SB form and feels more premium. But for anyone who wants an AMG, I think this generation of E or CLS might be the perfect cars, would like the tech to be slightly more modern but that's nitpicking, been very happy with my Carplay box and that does all I want.

PS. Want to sell?!
It's a late 2012 model, I think there was a facelift after that? AFAICT they're all S though, as in 549 BHP stock figure. Definitely rear wheel drive :oops:

Not selling yet! It's the first car I haven't wanted to get rid of after 18 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom