Time to swap my CLS 350 Shooting Brake for a CLS 63 Shooting Brake. Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ It's a perfectly safe family wagon.
How safe will be down to your driving.

^ It's a perfectly safe family wagon.
How safe will be down to your driving.
That's fine, as long as I'm not going to be going backwards at the slightest touch of throttle I'll be fine. I've learnt my lesson from my first TVR that ended up backwards in the outside lane of the M25

As long as you respect the power, don't drive like a lunatic, especially in the wet, you'll be fine.
Getting used to the extra power and torque after a 350 diseasle won't take long. You just can't take liberties and bury the throttle.

They’re perfectly safe as family transport. The TC is excellent. Just don’t expect to deploy all 590lbs/ft in the wet through the rears without some intervention from the electronics. Or if you’re in the mood, put the tc in sport mode and spin the rears along the way. If you’re feeling really brave, turn tc off and enjoy the chassis balance as you slither down the road!! I found myself always in sport and coaxing the rears to slip for fun. Rear tyres needed changing at 7.5k miles. In the dry it’s surprising how much grip it has in a straightline, for corners it’s safer in sport mode still as it can get proper lairy with tc off. Comfort mode on suspension, Sport+ on the trans, using the paddles and Sport on the chassis makes for a lovely setup, you can really finely balance the chassis on the throttle.

so are you saying you wouldn't consider the CLS safe as a family wagon? Because that's going to be my main use
There's nothing wrong with it as a family car, I'd love one. My personal preference is just for AWD/4WD for family cars, and RWD for fun.

I believe you're in the sunny south, but my advice would be that if it's your main family car then plan for winter tyres if you'll need to depend upon it. They'll keep you more mobile for longer in adverse conditions, and keep you safer all the time in cool/cold conditions.

That said, I wouldn’t consider it in the snow!! :D

You certainly know how to keep a thread going, OP!

I think that the E63s that you shared is really nice and the loading pack in the rear is super useful and practical - this one seems really well specced. This is well in budget, FMBSH and you can run it until your ideal CLS 63s comes along, in which case you have spare funds to place a holding deposit until you sell the E63.

You certainly know how to keep a thread going, OP!

I think that the E63s that you shared is really nice and the loading pack in the rear is super useful and practical - this one seems really well specced. This is well in budget, FMBSH and you can run it until your ideal CLS 63s comes along, in which case you have spare funds to place a holding deposit until you sell the E63.

I didn’t quite mean to but as you can see I’ve been back and forwards a lot, and I appreciate all the advice and patience!

I wonder how the value would hold up on that E if I did as you said?

I didn’t quite mean to but as you can see I’ve been back and forwards a lot, and I appreciate all the advice and patience!

I wonder how the value would hold up on that E if I did as you said?

Well it's an entertaining post and I'm learning a lot from all of the responses.

I don't follow the values on these, but I think that you're correct in your observation that it's at the bottom of the market. So, you are likely to at least get what you bought it for +/- £2k.

It's an option worth pursuing since you clearly have an itch to scratch and aren't afraid of shedding cards as your interest/purpose dictates.

Yes, you will need to develop a whole new skillset when you buy a large AMG powered car (I have had a four wheel spin/drift in the GT at the national speed limit on a damp, slick day with the wrong tyres and car set up, my own fault entirely) but this is why I like it over the Audi product, there is a real life error margin, push it and you will find it, don't push it and you revel in the rewarding glory of it. win win I say.

Don't shoot the messenger but......you must have seen these videos already:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This sold me on the W213 E63s and the last E63 I drive was an early S212 M156 car. Chris Harris also owned a CLS63s as a daily driver, hence this video from 2012:

To quote the first video on the E63S (5:10 seconds in ): 'Nope.... can't do that in an RS6.....' These cars aren't as bad as you think if you respect them as others have said. With that budget you are going to have an awesome search and buy. And family safety isn't something you should worry about.

I'm an AMG fan, for me they really do offer something else the competition does not.

Yes, you will need to develop a whole new skillset when you buy a large AMG powered car (I have had a four wheel spin/drift in the GT at the national speed limit on a damp, slick day with the wrong tyres and car set up, my own fault entirely) but this is why I like it over the Audi product, there is a real life error margin, push it and you will find it, don't push it and you revel in the rewarding glory of it. win win I say.

Don't shoot the messenger but......you must have seen these videos already:

This sold me on the W213 E63s and the last E63 I drive was an early S212 M156 car. Chris Harris also owned a CLS63s as a daily driver, hence this video from 2012:

To quote the first video on the E63S (5:10 seconds in ): 'Nope.... can't do that in an RS6.....' These cars aren't as bad as you think if you respect them as others have said. With that budget you are going to have an awesome search and buy. And family safety isn't something you should worry about.

I'm an AMG fan, for me they really do offer something else the competition does not.
Thanks, yeah seen those vids (more than once!) and I'm pretty set on the CLS now, when I find the right one.

I am though considering that E63 S I posted earlier, as an interim measure depending if I need a car in the meantime and it's still available. I've contacted them to ask a few questions and they are "only" 50 miles away so doable for a viewing. Mileage is a bit high for the age and I'd expect the bodywork and interior to be a little worn but price is good

If it’s like my S63, you have to forget about driving like it’s a performance car for a good few months of the year, at least below 50. It’s great once the temperature rises.

If it’s like my S63, you have to forget about driving like it’s a performance car for a good few months of the year, at least below 50. It’s great once the temperature rises.

I've had another idea about what I can do but I don't want to say for fear of getting flamed!

Go on then..... (takes out lighter and sets petrol can down....)

Well, ok if I must. But I warn you, it doesn’t involve getting an AMG. and this isn’t my confirmed choice yet, because this is me.

So I was doing some maths in the fuel costs for the regular, if not frequent, long drives I do to the continent. It’s not a small amount. It got me thinking that maybe sticking with a diesel might be better. I’ve seen some great value E350s around 2017 with loads of options that would then allow me to get something else for fun. Current thought...is an M6 *hides*

I stress this isn’t my final decision but it does seem to make sense...

Well, ok if I must. But I warn you, it doesn’t involve getting an AMG. and this isn’t my confirmed choice yet, because this is me.

So I was doing some maths in the fuel costs for the regular, if not frequent, long drives I do to the continent. It’s not a small amount. It got me thinking that maybe sticking with a diesel might be better. I’ve seen some great value E350s around 2017 with loads of options that would then allow me to get something else for fun. Current thought...is an M6 *hides*

I stress this isn’t my final decision but it does seem to make sense...
How often and how far are we talking?

Travelling to those parts all the more reason to have an AMG where you can stretch its legs.

When I've had an E350d as a loan car I found they were only usefully economical if you drove like Miss Daisy, otherwise they still guzzled a fair bit for a diesel. I also couldn't get on with the suspension as it lacked rebound damping so a bump would take two or more oscillations of the body before settling. Although it's 'softer' than an AMG it's not as comfortable in my opinion due to the lolling motion.

Try one and make up your own mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom