Time to swap my CLS 350 Shooting Brake for a CLS 63 Shooting Brake. Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cerb was my desired too but I was too scared of the potential repair bills as well

Can I ask what you've had done to your M278 please?
The biggest change was turbos from the M157

Right, back to why I started this. I’m finally in a position to actually buy something again. And you’ll be pleased to know I’ve finally made a decision about something! That decision is that I’m definitely going to get 2 cars, one fun and one family mobile.

But I’m not going to get the family car yet (probably will be another newer CLS SB when the time comes) while Covid is a thing, and we’re not doing the long trips abroad for either pleasure or work, I’m going to focus on the fun car for now and manage with my wife’s car for when we need it.

I have about £30k now, maybe a little more, once I’ve put aside the family wagon money, to get a 2 door coupe/gt car, fast, fairly modern, sleek etc.

To be honest, I’m still leaning towards and M6, ideally a competition pack. It’s not going to sound like an AMG but there are no particular Merc equivalent that I think I like as much. Closest would be an SL but I think the generation at that money don’t look particularly special.

At the moment it’s between the M6 and an early R8. I love the Maserati GT but too dated inside for me.

Anything else you’d suggest? I’m hoping to line up some test drives this weekend.

Right, back to why I started this. I’m finally in a position to actually buy something again. And you’ll be pleased to know I’ve finally made a decision about something! That decision is that I’m definitely going to get 2 cars, one fun and one family mobile.

But I’m not going to get the family car yet (probably will be another newer CLS SB when the time comes) while Covid is a thing, and we’re not doing the long trips abroad for either pleasure or work, I’m going to focus on the fun car for now and manage with my wife’s car for when we need it.

I have about £30k now, maybe a little more, once I’ve put aside the family wagon money, to get a 2 door coupe/gt car, fast, fairly modern, sleek etc.

To be honest, I’m still leaning towards and M6, ideally a competition pack. It’s not going to sound like an AMG but there are no particular Merc equivalent that I think I like as much. Closest would be an SL but I think the generation at that money don’t look particularly special.

At the moment it’s between the M6 and an early R8. I love the Maserati GT but too dated inside for me.

Anything else you’d suggest? I’m hoping to line up some test drives this weekend.
The M6 sounds like it could be a family car too, unless you have more than two children - is that why you’re thinking of coupes?

What does fun car mean to you? Fast, handling, two-seats, soft top, track focused, exotic? The answers to those questions might help with suggestions.

At £30k ish as a second fun car I would say Evora, 911, R8, SL are what I’d be looking at first. Not sure how far out of budget they are but the new Z4 looks great too.

The M6 sounds like it could be a family car too, unless you have more than two children - is that why you’re thinking of coupes?

What does fun car mean to you? Fast, handling, two-seats, soft top, track focused, exotic? The answers to those questions might help with suggestions.

At £30k ish as a second fun car I would say Evora, 911, R8, SL are what I’d be looking at first. Not sure how far out of budget they are but the new Z4 looks great too.

When I say family car I mean something large that can carry a lot of stuff, M6 definitely not big enough for that.

In terms of what I want from a car, I’m a large lad, so little nimble sports cars are not for me, so things like exiges etc are out. Plus I prefer the fast GT type car anyway, that’s why the M6 appeals.

Definitely R8 over M6 for fun car.

The M6 is a cruiser and not particularly engaging but the R8 is simply sublime.

Does that apply even to the first gen 4.2 v8? It’s not that quick in comparison to other cars more recently but what makes it so much better?

Between those 3 the R8

Nissan GTR!

A Cerb 4.5 isn’t too fragile if well looked after. I had a 4.2 and 4.5 and both were fantastic.

Too many scare stories I guess, just saw too many posts on forums of people selling them after engine rebuilds and diff problems etc etc.....Think it'll just have to remain one of those dreams that never came to reality forever lol

That’s a healthy budget which will bag you a good one. If you do I‘d be really interested in how a 63S compares to your old 350 on a day-to-day basis, especially the ride quality, or if the sound and velocity of 577 horses pales that into insignificance...
I shopped my 350 in against a 3800 miles old 63S SB in jan this year. Lots of similarities, obvs. but a real schizophrenic.... not much different when pooling along, apart from a distant rumble and firmer suspension. But when you put your foot down, man! The noise is awesome and so well judged volume wise. I have had some fast cars but this is something else. You have to treat it with respect in the wet, but it is entirely useable. I loved my 350 but every journey is an adventure In the 63...... and starting up from cold shows that Mercedes does have a sense of humour......

Lennox, you're revealing your fetish on this thread! That is, scouring AT - you're clearly a pro!

Of those that you linked, the only one that I clicked was the Challenger - surely that must be an event on every occasion. After that, the AM Vantage V8 would be of interest to me.

How about a Kia Stinger?

Or a DB9?

There is always a Lotus Europa, if you can find one as they come up for sale quite rarely.

If I wanted to play a computer game I’ll put the PS4 on instead!

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried one, and I’d highly recommend you do, it’s probably the most capable GT car today. They are awesome, refined and reliable. The speed, handling, ride and comfort are bonuses!

Does that apply even to the first gen 4.2 v8? It’s not that quick in comparison to other cars more recently but what makes it so much better?
You're right, the original R8 is not that fast but it's quick enough to be entertaining.

- Hydraulic power steering
- 4WD traction but with a rearward bias so it still slides
- Supercar looks
- Metal gaited gearshift
- NA engine sounds better
- MR layout
- Still does the GT thing

Something like this: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202009143693971?atmobcid=soc3

You're right, the original R8 is not that fast but it's quick enough to be entertaining.

- Hydraulic power steering
- 4WD traction but with a rearward bias so it still slides
- Supercar looks
- Metal gaited gearshift
- NA engine sounds better
- MR layout
- Still does the GT thing

Something like this: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202009143693971?atmobcid=soc3

Agree with all of that, but i think to be able to get one with the miles and spec I’d want, it’s going to be above my budget. Still think M6 might be the way forward

Fair enough, I'm probably voicing what I'd do in that situation which may be different to what suits you. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom