Time to swap my CLS 350 Shooting Brake for a CLS 63 Shooting Brake. Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair enough, I'm probably voicing what I'd do in that situation which may be different to what suits you. :thumb:

Don’t get me wrong, the R8 is probably the better car, and I’d love to have one, but maybe that’s for next time with my budget. I’ve seen a lovely m6 competition that I’m going to view later today, 600hp, should be great but I might hate it so need to try it

Facelift CLS63’s are all S’s in the UK, and all rear-wheel drive. There was one for £30k for sale on Auto Trader but it’s just gone by the looks of it. The other two on there are much more expensive but are virtually brand new, mileage and condition-wise.

They are seriously tempting when they come up - which isn’t often.

I've a 2015 218 CLS63 AMG S and from a fun perspective its one of the best cars I have ever owned! It is ridiculously fast and sound like a spitfire, even my neighbour whose a Porsche fanatic can't get over the beast! The only issue I have now is the car management systems appear not to be supported, so I am looking at the Android Screen/System upgrades.

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried one, and I’d highly recommend you do, it’s probably the most capable GT car today. They are awesome, refined and reliable. The speed, handling, ride and comfort are bonuses!

Had my mates for about a month (2017 MY) and used it for commuting (80 mile round trip) . Yes great cars for fast roads but I just couldn't GT it across a continent, the noise, gearbox suspension harshness is all too much (even though it was improved fof that model).

I shopped my 350 in against a 3800 miles old 63S SB in jan this year. Lots of similarities, obvs. but a real schizophrenic.... not much different when pooling along, apart from a distant rumble and firmer suspension. But when you put your foot down, man! The noise is awesome and so well judged volume wise. I have had some fast cars but this is something else. You have to treat it with respect in the wet, but it is entirely useable. I loved my 350 but every journey is an adventure In the 63...... and starting up from cold shows that Mercedes does have a sense of humour......
Don’t get me wrong, the R8 is probably the better car, and I’d love to have one, but maybe that’s for next time with my budget. I’ve seen a lovely m6 competition that I’m going to view later today, 600hp, should be great but I might hate it so need to try it
At £30k you must be very close to CLS 63 money though?

Agree with all of that, but i think to be able to get one with the miles and spec I’d want, it’s going to be above my budget. Still think M6 might be the way forward
I might be missing something here - which isn’t unusual) but what does an M6 do that a CLS63 (4dr or SB) or even a CL63 (bigger and smoother perhaps) doesn’t?

Yes I was trying to get the old man to buy the one at £35k. Lovely car.

Interesting re the keyless go. I asked BMW to deactive the X5s as its a major security flaw. And I would kill for cooling seats on that. Black on black....+ covid added puppy fat =. 😓😓😓😓
What's the security flaw please?
How far away do you have to keep the key at home?

No there's definitely at least 2, looking at previous adverts, there is the 550 model, and the S with the S badge on the back at 585bhp post facelift. Whether there was a performance pack pre facelift model, I'm not 100% sure
My god, how quick is a 585hp merc??

I shopped my 350 in against a 3800 miles old 63S SB in jan this year. Lots of similarities, obvs. but a real schizophrenic.... not much different when pooling along, apart from a distant rumble and firmer suspension. But when you put your foot down, man! The noise is awesome and so well judged volume wise. I have had some fast cars but this is something else. You have to treat it with respect in the wet, but it is entirely useable. I loved my 350 but every journey is an adventure In the 63...... and starting up from cold shows that Mercedes does have a sense of humour......
Thanks GVT. Is the ride appreciably different? I think I need to try one really don’t I...

What's the security flaw please?
How far away do you have to keep the key at home?

There's two of them.
1. Car with keyless they can bounce signal thought an amplified from you key indoors to the car. To open start it and drive off.
2. Bmw cars separate from issue 1, if they manage to get inside can through the ODBC programme a new key. Allowing them full control over the car.

BMW main dealer can disable the keyless and the ODBC function.

So I can sleep at night as the BMW is locked down through software updates and the AMG is under my bottom in the garage.

I might be missing something here - which isn’t unusual) but what does an M6 do that a CLS63 (4dr or SB) or even a CL63 (bigger and smoother perhaps) doesn’t?

Not missing anything, they all achieve the same thing, but what i realised was a) driving a cls63 daily, would cost me a lot in fuel
b) I was very happy with the luxury and comfort of my cls diesel
c) man maths was telling me that I could end up with 2 cars this way. One gt type cruiser which I love and one plush family wagon for the longer trips.

Yes a CL63 would have satisfied the Gt car requirement but I’m just not that keen on them.

Anyway, I went to see and drive an M6 competition with 600hp as it’s a 2015 model this afternoon. I’ve made an offer which I’m waiting to hear about

The other thing is that with Covid, I don’t need to buy the family car yet as for the limited long family drives we do, we can use my wife’s car. So gives me some more time to search for the right one. It will probably be a newer CLS 350 again

How about this.....I know it was not on your radar, but on budget, enthusiast owned, pretty exclusive......

I’m just not keen on the CL exterior or interior at all I’m afraid

Too many scare stories I guess, just saw too many posts on forums of people selling them after engine rebuilds and diff problems etc etc.....Think it'll just have to remain one of those dreams that never came to reality forever lol
Engine rebuilds were mainly the speed 6 engines and not the AJP 4.5 or 4.2, but yes I know where you are coming from.

Out of the many options at circa £30k, the M6 would be in the relegation zone at the bottom - even the M5 is a much, much better proposition and that is significantly cheaper pro rata.

But, re-reading the thread, you’ve done everything you can to not choose the AMG - for whatever reason - so we could be here until the cows came home and you’d still end up pontificating over lesser cars like the M6.

If I was buying a do it all single car, an AMG would be absolutely the choice. I ruled out my flirtation with an RS6 and was previously negotiating with Targa about Nitos ex CLS. I guess I just prefer the large AMGs rather than the small ones

As a 2 car proposition, no AMG fit the bill for me, so yes, I’ve been looking at my other options, and granted this forum is definitely not the best for objective discussions about non AMG cars so apologies for dragging that on so long in an unsuitable forum.

As it is, I’ve just agreed to buy the M6, and I am happy with everything about it except the sound, I’ll have to live with that. I will definitely be buying a Mercedes family car, like I’ve said the CLS 350 SB run out model is most likely what I’ll get but obviously not an AMG

So I guess...thread closed?

If I was buying a do it all single car, an AMG would be absolutely the choice. I ruled out my flirtation with an RS6 and was previously negotiating with Targa about Nitos ex CLS. I guess I just prefer the large AMGs rather than the small ones

As a 2 car proposition, no AMG fit the bill for me, so yes, I’ve been looking at my other options, and granted this forum is definitely not the best for objective discussions about non AMG cars so apologies for dragging that on so long in an unsuitable forum.

As it is, I’ve just agreed to buy the M6, and I am happy with everything about it except the sound, I’ll have to live with that. I will definitely be buying a Mercedes family car, like I’ve said the CLS 350 SB run out model is most likely what I’ll get but obviously not an AMG

So I guess...thread closed?

M6 is a great car and a good choice. Sound wise, get the resonator and mids modified or go all out and get an Akrapovic exhaust fitted. That'll fix the noise complaints lol. Make sure you post pics of the M6. Oh and congrats by the way

M6 is a great car and a good choice. Sound wise, get the resonator and mids modified or go all out and get an Akrapovic exhaust fitted. That'll fix the noise complaints lol. Make sure you post pics of the M6. Oh and congrats by the way

Actually it comes with an Akrapovic exhaust already fitted! It doesn’t sound like an AMG of course but it does sound angry as hell! Here’s a pic from the ad

4BAC265D-4FBF-4905-8597-6ABDA1D37E41.jpeg

That looks lovely. I would say a M6 with an Akrapovic fitted would sound better than a standard *63 biturbo
To be fair, I was on a fairly tentative drive and didn’t want to go crazy and was certainly focussed on driving rather than listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom