Time to swap my CLS 350 Shooting Brake for a CLS 63 Shooting Brake. Advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a 2 car proposition, no AMG fit the bill for me, so yes, I’ve been looking at my other options, and granted this forum is definitely not the best for objective discussions about non AMG cars so apologies for dragging that on so long in an unsuitable forum.
There’s nothing to apologise for - it’s an open forum - and as objective as a single manufacturer forum as you’ll probably find.

It seemed like it was going to be a short thread “I’m selling my diesel CLS SB to replace it with an AMG CLS SB” but these things happen; for whatever reason you just couldn’t pull the trigger on the CLS which is your want - what a bunch of strangers on a Mercedes forum recommend is ultimately futile because they’re not the ones buying it and ultimately running it - I’ve owned plenty of these types of cars in this budget and an M6 isn’t what I’d be looking at but, again, it’s you that’ll be owning it so what we suggest is neither here nor there.

Apologies if my opinion came across too blunt or untoward.

There’s nothing to apologise for - it’s an open forum - and as objective as a single manufacturer forum as you’ll probably find.

It seemed like it was going to be a short thread “I’m selling my diesel CLS SB to replace it with an AMG CLS SB” but these things happen; for whatever reason you just couldn’t pull the trigger on the CLS which is your want - what a bunch of strangers on a Mercedes forum recommend is ultimately futile because they’re not the ones buying it and ultimately running it - I’ve owned plenty of these types of cars in this budget and an M6 isn’t what I’d be looking at but, again, it’s you that’ll be owning it so what we suggest is neither here nor there.

Apologies if my opinion came across too blunt or untoward.

No offence taken. It was fully my intention to get the CLS AMG at the start. Never did I see myself that this would end up 10 pages long ending with a completely different outcome. But I’m famously indecisive and also go through cars like hot dinners so an AMG will most definitely happen, just not right now. But even if futile, it was this thread that got me to where I am and I’m happy with my decision, so thanks all for all the help!

Not missing anything, they all achieve the same thing, but what i realised was a) driving a cls63 daily, would cost me a lot in fuel
b) I was very happy with the luxury and comfort of my cls diesel
c) man maths was telling me that I could end up with 2 cars this way. One gt type cruiser which I love and one plush family wagon for the longer trips.

Yes a CL63 would have satisfied the Gt car requirement but I’m just not that keen on them.

Anyway, I went to see and drive an M6 competition with 600hp as it’s a 2015 model this afternoon. I’ve made an offer which I’m waiting to hear about
I'm amazed at the power!
Was the rear end all over the Rd lol?

Thanks GVT. Is the ride appreciably different? I think I need to try one really don’t I...
Thanks GVT. Is the ride appreciably different? I think I need to try one really don’t I...
My 350 was the AMG spec which had quite firm suspension. The 63S in comfort mode isn’t much different. Definitely A little firmer, but not rock hard. I think the fact that the tyres are pumped to a higher presssure (as recommended ) makes more of a difference. It feels the small surface imperfections but rides the undulations well. The faster you go, the better it gets. I tried 4 cars from 2012 to 2017 and they all felt the same. The S‘s felt a little more urgent, but otherwise not much different. You do need to try one..... But on a decent drive. Round town you will not appreciate the difference - when you get to open the taps it is chalk and cheese...... and the noise is every kind of epic..... You will love it.

My 350 was the AMG spec which had quite firm suspension. The 63S in comfort mode isn’t much different. Definitely A little firmer, but not rock hard. I think the fact that the tyres are pumped to a higher presssure (as recommended ) makes more of a difference. It feels the small surface imperfections but rides the undulations well. The faster you go, the better it gets. I tried 4 cars from 2012 to 2017 and they all felt the same. The S‘s felt a little more urgent, but otherwise not much different. You do need to try one..... But on a decent drive. Round town you will not appreciate the difference - when you get to open the taps it is chalk and cheese...... and the noise is every kind of epic..... You will love it.
That’s what I’m worried about...it could be a long and slippery slope ending in being persona non grata and having to live in the thing...😁 Appreciate the feedback - that’s really interesting to hear. Definitely worth considering now my annual mileage seems to have gone from 2,500 a month to 250!

The regular trips are usually 2-3 times a year, to Frankfurt area. The non planned trips probably 4-5 on top also to various part of Germany or Netherlands.

why not hire a car for those trips and enjoy the variety?

probably cheaper than having some expensive parked on the drive for 300 days a year...

do it.

Hi all,

I've decided to sell my TVR as well as my current CLS 350 and trade in/up to a CLS 63 AMG. I've found the CLS Shooting Brake package a perfect fit for me and my family, but I need to have an AMG in my life at some point and now is the time. Wondered if there was any advice you could give me about what I should be looking for?

I'd really like to get a facelift model, whereas currently I have a pre facelift CLS, so getting the upgraded interior, headlights etc is appealing. Are all the facelift models AMG S spec? I haven't seen any that aren't but it might just be because there are few for sale anyway. If not, is the S worth waiting for? I believe the S is 4matic and more powerful, which is a good thing, is that right?

I know the CLS well but anything I should be looking out for specifically on the AMG?

The main problem is going to be budget, a few months ago when I looked there were a number of facelift AMG S's for just north of mid 20s, now it seems that's not the case. Depending on how much I sell my TVR for and what I realistically get for my current CLS, my max budget will likely be £30k or possibly 1-2k less. Of the 3 on Autotrader right now, 2 or dealer sales and too new to be cheap enough, and other seems overpriced IMO.

Bit of a ramble but any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi there. I may be able to help you out regarding the above as I have a CLS63 for sale. Happy to have a conversation over the phone?

Sorry, thanks for the offer but if you read back in the (admittedly very long) thread, you’ll see I have decided to change my plans slightly.

For those who are following, I picked up the M6 today, but I haven’t had a proper drive in the dry yet!

Sorry, thanks for the offer but if you read back in the (admittedly very long) thread, you’ll see I have decided to change my plans slightly.

For those who are following, I picked up the M6 today, but I haven’t had a proper drive in the dry yet!
:ttiuwp:banana::banana::banana::banana:

It’s been dark so haven’t taken any except this, will have to do for now! And yes the M stripes will be being removed ASAP (although the owner paid hundreds to have them applied at the
BMW M location in Germany!)
View attachment 102949
Love it well done. You must now drive to Scotland to let the person who told you to re look at the M6 have a spin.

Oh and I'm happy to look after it when you are on holiday

Love it well done. You must now drive to Scotland to let the person who told you to re look at the M6 have a spin.

Oh and I'm happy to look after it when you are on holiday
Haha, once this Covid stuff is over I will be travelling up Occasionally as one of my team is up there, who knows, could make it happen!

Nice M6, I've had a go in one and they are bloody quick, that is probably a £6k Exhaust on that... BTW, I'm loving your SB CLS 350, its a cracking car...

Nice M6, I've had a go in one and they are bloody quick, that is probably a £6k Exhaust on that... BTW, I'm loving your SB CLS 350, its a cracking car...

Thanks! Glad you’re enjoying it but I probably should have kept it as the family car after all!
Yes the exhaust invoice with the car was over 7k!

Some more pics of the M6 for anyone interested

896A902E-6A54-42A5-BFC3-5C0D14E10E39.jpegCD47B276-9F85-467C-B51C-7C51B2679EAF.jpeg44C74E06-5E62-4B30-B29A-13186727A1A5.jpegE6259668-571E-4CF8-8A44-EBEBA1508F30.jpeg

M6 with an Akra - awesome. CCB? BM3?
If you mean Carbon brakes and Bootmod3 then yes it has carbon brakes and no I haven't got BM3 but I have thought about it, need to look into it more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom