Time to switch to Benz??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jrsimp78

Car
Bmw 535i
Hi All, I just joined as I’m considering switching to MB and where better to get some insight.
I currently have a very well specific Bmw 535i ( 4dr) it’s fantastic in terms of performance and economy etc but need to change to a waggon of some sort. I can’t find another Bmw with anything near the spec. (For sensible coin) We also have a couple of Volvos, so the v90 is on my list but despite the reputation of reliability, I’m not sure it’s valid.
With the above considered, I stumbled upon the cls SB. I assumed that the boot space wound pretty poor but the data suggests it’s bigger than the v90. Can anyone confirm the level of practicality?
The model being considered is cla350cdi AMG spec. What real world mpg? I generally only use for long runs ( I get 35+from my petrol 306bhp 5 series)
Also for Bmw , there is official tech information available online. Basically a fully interactive l workshop manual. Is such a thing available for Benz?
Finally- what to watch out for on a 2015-2016 cls 350 sb.
Sorry for the long thread

Hi All, I just joined as I’m considering switching to MB and where better to get some insight.
I currently have a very well specific Bmw 535i ( 4dr) it’s fantastic in terms of performance and economy etc but need to change to a waggon of some sort. I can’t find another Bmw with anything near the spec. (For sensible coin) We also have a couple of Volvos, so the v90 is on my list but despite the reputation of reliability, I’m not sure it’s valid.
With the above considered, I stumbled upon the cls SB. I assumed that the boot space wound pretty poor but the data suggests it’s bigger than the v90. Can anyone confirm the level of practicality?
The model being considered is cla350cdi AMG spec. What real world mpg? I generally only use for long runs ( I get 35+from my petrol 306bhp 5 series)
Also for Bmw , there is official tech information available online. Basically a fully interactive l workshop manual. Is such a thing available for Benz?
Welcome , you mention a CLA and a CLS , which one do you mean buddy ?

For clarity,, I’m looking at the CLS. Auto correct keep changing CLS to classic 😊

Welcome, what about a
E class 350cdi 265bhp estate, great motor. :) 👍

Welcome, what about a
E class 350cdi 265bhp estate, great motor. :) 👍
That is a consideration. Am I correct in thinking that the cls and the E are basically the same car but with a different body?

That is a consideration. Am I correct in thinking that the cls and the E are basically the same car but with a different body?
Spot on, same platform and powertrains 👍🏻

My car does double duty as my daily driver and a caravan tug. I had a Volvo V70 D5 AWD for 5 years.

The Swedish Hearse did everything I asked of it, but never in style. The engine had plenty of power but with a lot of noise, the handling always felt assured but was never exciting. As far as reliability goes, I paid the Volvo tax several times, including swirl flaps, turbo, and steering rack. Whilst this was obviously not ideal, overall the cost of ownership was not disastrous. The final straw was when my local indie Volvo man advised me that the rear axle was on the way out.

A few months ago I changed to an E350 sport estate (W212). Once some handling issues which were down to the tracking being a very long way out with associated uneven tyre wear were sorted, the German Hearse is a huge upgrade.

The engine is far more refined which paradoxically means that I am less inclined to be heavy on the right boot, being content to allow myself to be wafted to my destination in a stately manner. When I am inclined to hurry, the power is there when I need it, delivered with far less fuss than the Swede made.

The luggage space is even bigger than the Volvo, so much so that about the only thing that I miss is the lift up luggage space divider flap thingy.

Towing the 1600 Kg caravan was never a problem with the Volvo, but the extra weight and power, slightly longer wheelbase and air suspension make it even easier with the Benz.

Fuel economy (surprisingly) is about the same solo, and marginally better towing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom