Timeless Designs on New Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donza

I think the CLS is a timeless design. Its a grower eitherway.

At first i was like thats a strangley attractive but odd looking car. But over time i must say in my opinion the designer hit the nail on the head. Great looking car.

I also think the W211 is a timeless design (No Bias). It looks classy yet can also look sporty/aggresive in different trim levels. Inside i also think it looks great.

I had a new C-Class for two months also (08 reg). Very nice car, looked aggresive and menacing in the AMG specced trim. Interior was not to my liking. Maybe not that timeless.

A bit like the new S-Class maybe? Then again maybe they will grow on me..

Then again neither of the aformentioned models is a SEC. That is truly timeless.

I agree with you about the 211. It is to me one of the most beautiful modern saloons -maybe the best.

The CLS looks wrong to me. Too low in the roofline. Not in proportion and hence it lacks headroom. Bit banana shaped too.

The 220 S class was another timeless classic IMO.

i think the W208 (original) CLK, especially in Cabrio form, is a true classic design.

car5ur.jpg

(chance to post pic of my old car!)

Last edited:
Was it Keats who said that "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder?"

JP

I agree with you about the 211. It is to me one of the most beautiful modern saloons -maybe the best.

The CLS looks wrong to me. Too low in the roofline. Not in proportion and hence it lacks headroom. Bit banana shaped too.

The 220 S class was another timeless classic IMO.

Do I see a banana? It more a jelly mould. Lexus tried to copy it in the IS250.

I lament the loss of round headlights. It's also bothersome (and consistent throughout automotive history) that the cars "all look alike".

Was it Keats who said that "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder?"

JP

No, it goes back to ancient Greece but the person who is widely credited with coining the saying in its current form is Margaret Wolfe Hungerford (née Hamilton), who wrote many books, often under the pseudonym of 'The Duchess'. In Molly Bawn, 1878, there's the line "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/59100.html

the CLS in black is like a giant leech

I wouldnt say ether the W220 or the W211 were timeless really, although I like the W211 it does look slightly Japanese in design.

As above, the Orignal CLK & CLS spring to mind.

the CLS in black is like a giant leech

Sucking down onto the road. Maybe that's the impression the designer wanted to give.

The CLS looks wrong to me. Too low in the roofline. Not in proportion and hence it lacks headroom.

It isn't short of headroom. I normally have a problem with car headroom but the CLS is fine.

It isn't short of headroom. I normally have a problem with car headroom but the CLS is fine.
Nearly all car reviews have commented on the lack of rear headroom due to the low sloping roof. That it fits you does not necessarily mean that it fits others does it?

Nearly all car reviews have commented on the lack of rear headroom due to the low sloping roof. That it fits you does not necessarily mean that it fits others does it?

I dont bother with the back seat. I normally find headroom an issue being tall with a long back.

CLS is tiny in the back , i can't sit up streight.

Its about 3-4 inches too low for me to sit without bending my head.

CLS is tiny in the back , i can't sit up streight.

Its about 3-4 inches too low for me to sit without bending my head.
Yes and that is exactly what the reviews said. E class is a far more practical car IMO and better looking too. And less money for a remarkably similar product.

W211 is fairly timeless and time will be kind to it as time was kind to the E39 BMW 5 series.

Another design that will fair well in time is the W204 and W203. R230 is pretty timeless (pre facelift naturally)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom