• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Timing belt/chain change - is it due?

merc180k

Car
C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
Hi all,

Been browsing through my service book for the car and am wondering when the timing belt (or is it a chain in these things?) needs changed.

Car has done 72k (ish) and I can't see any sign of it having been done before. Always been MB serviced and is due another service in about 4k. I also can't see any clear guide in the service book to say when the best time is. Can anyone help and advise please?

Car is C180k Av SE 2004 model.

Simon

Hi all,

Been browsing through my service book for the car and am wondering when the timing belt (or is it a chain in these things?) needs changed.

Car has done 72k (ish) and I can't see any sign of it having been done before. Always been MB serviced and is due another service in about 4k. I also can't see any clear guide in the service book to say when the best time is. Can anyone help and advise please?

Car is C180k Av SE 2004 model.

Simon

Your car has a timing chain, and at 72k miles you should be fine to leave it for many years/thousands of miles.

Ask again when you're at 150-200k+ :)

Will

Your car has a timing chain, and at 72k miles you should be fine to leave it for many years/thousands of miles.

Ask again when you're at 150-200k+ :)

Will

Got my 320cdi in May and asked my MB dealer about timing chain and they said come back at 400K. I hope they're right:D

Daft question from a non-mechanic minded bloke.......

Is this the same as the cam belt?

a cambelt is made from rubber, a cam chain is made from metal... cam chains never really need to be replaced.. cam belts do...

I had a problem with mine @ 50k miles, It seems quite common for them to slip/jump. Link

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom