Timing belt or chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ulysis

Car
1999 C200 Sport
Have a 1999 C200 Sport (W202 I believe), and wondered if it has a timing chain or belt, looks like a belt to me but I have heard people saying they have chains. If what I see is just a fan belt, it's a bloody big one! Any help appreciated :)

What you are looking at the "serpent Belt" Used to drive, alternator, water pump, aircon compressor,power steering pump with assorted jockey wheels to keep tension on and driven from the crank pulley. The chain is inside the front housing of the motor. Its not a 1970 Ford!

Agreed it is chian driven

Cambelts are rarely if ever uncovered, what you can see is the auxilliary drive belt that operates the alternator, power steering pump, water pump and, if fitted the air conditioning compressor.

Just for the record, ALL mercedes engines have CHAIN driven camshafts.

Last edited:
Just for the record, ALL mercedes engines have CHAIN driven camshafts.

However not all Mercedes have Mercedes engines ;)

AFAIK the new M-B Citan will use Renault engines (it's based on the Renault Kangoo), and I'm pretty sure those use belts rather than chains.

However not all Mercedes have Mercedes engines ;)

AFAIK the new M-B Citan will use Renault engines (it's based on the Renault Kangoo), and I'm pretty sure those use belts rather than chains.
And isn't the W203 C180 engine a Mitsubishi effort?

Timing belts are great..........................for generating income for service departments!

My ex father in law was an engine designer for Jaguar, they experimented with belts as there was a perceived benefit in reduced noise, vibration and harshness over chains but the reliability was found to be unacceptable especially on the high performance versions. Having said that Jaguar had plenty of problems on the early V8 engines with chain guides and tensioners!

I beleive most Jaguar engines now use duplex chains? I know the older models used to have this arrangement.

Timing belts are great..........................for generating income for service departments!

My ex father in law was an engine designer for Jaguar, they experimented with belts as there was a perceived benefit in reduced noise, vibration and harshness over chains but the reliability was found to be unacceptable especially on the high performance versions. Having said that Jaguar had plenty of problems on the early V8 engines with chain guides and tensioners!

I beleive most Jaguar engines now use duplex chains? I know the older models used to have this arrangement.

I have to say it baffles me that such a complex and important part of an engine is controlled by a piece of neoprene or whatever it's made from cam belt, apart from aforementioned noise, and of course future repairs and parts revenue (bent valves!!!!)
Had a German plated Honda Accord twin cam 16 valve screamer that I bought for pennies when we first moved down here. It split its radiator core and when it went in to the workshp I said to the mechanic to do the cambelt at the same time. Just as well, as there were virtually no teeth just some lumps on the belt. :eek::eek:

I believe so, but instead of a belt they fit a chain which wears out very quickly.

The M272 wears out even quicker along with the idler gear ;)

Hi an a class 180 2ltr diesel 2005 is it chain or belt many thanks don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom